• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Copper Pride & Joy

1,863 posts in this topic

First one is a heck of a Copper Age book to have. Way to go!

The second is Modern Age as it came out in 1993 (Copper Age either ended in 1988, 1990, or 1993 with the death of Superman 1/1993; depends on who you ask).

The second is Modern Age as it came out in 1993 (Copper Age either ended in 1988, 1990, or 1993 with the death of Superman 1/1993; depends on who you ask).

1990 :sumo:

See what I mean? Even Dupont is confused.

:baiting:

I always ended it in 92 with spawn 1 (shrug)

I always ended it in 92 with spawn 1 (shrug)
I don't really have an exact date but right around the time the glittery covers started popping up and Wizard magazine came out I figure it's not copper anymore. To me, the Superman event is long after the magic of copper was destroyed by the :sick: that replaced it.

To me, the Superman event is long after the magic of copper was destroyed by the :sick: that replaced it.

It's a tough call, as Sandman came out in 1989, and that I consider Copper Age. That was going strong for a few years, as were some of the other Vertigo titles.

Now you see why I try to ignore all the Marvel garbage that started coming up around that time. There were still outstanding books.

I questioned whether it was modern or copper because Ebay has a set of dates and Heritage has a different set and apparently many others have other dates as well.

For me that Venom represents the end of my massive collecting days. Before that I pretty bought everything I got get my hands on.

Seriously, guys, come on. The Copper Age did NOT end in 1990, because that would make the age, depending on who you listen to, like 6 years.

Seriously?

6 years?

We don't even count generations in that short a time span.

That a new age was ushered in with the start of Image, I'll buy, but nothing earlier than that.

Next thing you know, people will be saying Copper last from 1984-1986.

:shrug:

Actually, RMA... I think I must respectfully disagree.

For me, the Copper Age began with Dark Knight Returns, and ended with the disappearance of First Comics. There is overlap in both directions, but those are the only real, pivotal events I recall noticing, AT THE TIME.

Everything else that happened in comics, in the eighties, was a continuation of the progress of the Bronze Age, a holdover from the Silver Age, or a faint glimmering of the post-Copper Age (has it been named yet?)...

Yes, that makes the Copper Age extremely short for an "age", but it really was that brief, fierce, and bright.

The Golden Age was only 6 or 7 years... 1938-1945/46...

Action Comics #1 through to the end of the Second World War...

The Atom Age was 8 or 9 years... 1946/47-1955...

The end of the Second World War through to the formation of the CCA...

The Silver Age was the longest Age, at 12 years... 1956-1968...

Showcase #4 through to Green Lantern #76...

Then things get murky... I don't think anything after the Silver Age had a clear-cut start/end point... from that point on, there would be overlap in both directions from anyone's point of choice for an Age-capper... and I think there are null periods between the Ages of Silver/Bronze and Bronze/Copper and Copper/Modern... periods of stagnation or expansion, but no real innovation... In point of fact, now that I truly think about it, the only Age-capper that is unequivocal is the formation of the Comics Code Authority... It was a change that was instantly felt industry wide... every other Age-capper is only true for one company or another, with repercussions that took a while to disseminate throughout the rest of the comic publishing world.