• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man ---- No More!

61 posts in this topic

Thanks for all the responses guys. I feared I would wake up this morning to a plethora of "who care?" responses.

It is hard letting go of something you have done every month (more frequently lately) for 33 years. But if the passion is gone, I can't see continuing on with the new stuff.

It does seem like this last couple of years Marvel has attempted to exploit the diehard collector. The three issues a week I feel were to capitalize on the guys that only collected the ASM title. Then sprinkle in all the variants.

Marvel has just bleed the stone dry.

That is a turn off, kinda like what happened with baseball cards and you have to go look for all those chase cards.

Stopped back in 1993 at I believe issue #401 or something. It had already started to suck comparatively, and I just lost my passion.

Got back into it with the JMS run in 2001? at #30 (vol II) and stopped for GOOD, once that azz-hat JQ allowed JMS to defile my childhood memories, with the rape of Gwen Stacy (yes, rape, in all senses of the word) that was it, never went back, never will!

Do you guys blame anybody in-particular for Spiderman not being the same? or do you think it just ran it's course?

Joe Quesada and J. Michael Straczynski.

yep.

I blame Quesada alone. I stopped collecting Spidey after the Clone Saga debacle. (Last issue I bought was issue 400.) Then when I read Straczynski was going to write it, I decided to give it a try, hoping he'd bring some science back to Spidey. And, on the whole, I was VERY pleased. Morlun was cool. Ezekiel was awesome. I even liked the added powers he gave him after the metamorphosis thing. The only blight on Straczynski's record was the whole "Sins Past" thing, but an EDITOR should have vetoed that idea. (A writer shouldn't be afraid to suggest an interesting story, but an editor or EIC should be there to say it's not right for the character. Particularly in an era when it's not comic guys that are writing comics.)

But yeah, I dropped after they retconned us into the past. And this time, I'm not coming back. I already came back once just to see the character screwed up again. Maybe if Quesada leaves and they bring in a guy who promises to make Spidey right again... but I think Quesada will sit on that throne for a long, long time, sadly.

-Rob-

Thanks for all the responses guys. I feared I would wake up this morning to a plethora of "who care?" responses.

It is hard letting go of something you have done every month (more frequently lately) for 33 years. But if the passion is gone, I can't see continuing on with the new stuff.

It does seem like this last couple of years Marvel has attempted to exploit the diehard collector. The three issues a week I feel were to capitalize on the guys that only collected the ASM title. Then sprinkle in all the variants.

Marvel has just bleed the stone dry.

I need basically all issues between 400 & 499. Since you're getting out...Christmas is coming up and I've been fairly good this year.

Stopped back in 1993 at I believe issue #401 or something. It had already started to suck comparatively, and I just lost my passion.

Got back into it with the JMS run in 2001? at #30 (vol II) and stopped for GOOD, once that azz-hat JQ allowed JMS to defile my childhood memories, with the rape of Gwen Stacy (yes, rape, in all senses of the word) that was it, never went back, never will!

Ditto.

Have issues 1-current (still need an AF15).

I am enjoying the title currently. Enjoying it quite a bit.

Am very much looking forward to, "The Gauntlet".

Was pleased beyond description to see all the 269-270 love. Some of my absolutely favorite issues of all time.

:whee:

Cap- "Stop, Spider-Man! You can't beat Firelord!"

Spidey- "Want to bet?"

Man I hate to disagree, but I thought ASM 269-270 was so over the top.

Its utterly unrealistic.

Hmm... a man getting bitten by a radioactive spider suddenly possessing super-human abilities ISN'T un-realistic?

:D:devil::jokealert:

-slym

Man I hate to disagree, but I thought ASM 269-270 was so over the top.

Its utterly unrealistic. After I read it I thought who is next the Silver Surfer?

I prefer ASM 248, 230-231 My absolute fav because it was believable.

I also enjoyed the Sin Eater Saga quite a bit.

What about 293-94, Kraven's last hunt was it for me. :cloud9:

I just picked the title up again after a long hiatus. I've been on board for the last 12 issues and enjoy multiple issues per month. The only thing I don't like is the fluctuation of how attractive Peter's roomie Michelle is, in some issues she's gorgeous and in others she's just horrid looking.

I also am now going backwards to fill my runs. I haven't made much headway in about a month or so, but my next run will be in the 400-500 range and I'm fairly certain those are super cheap to pick up.

i have quite a few amaz. spidey books from 400-530 if you're interested. all raw. 9.2 and above.

Just like most modern books, it's better to just buy the trades.

Some people still like holding comics in their hands.

:shy:

I get both. Flimsies to read as they are released and trades for quick reference and to loan out. It's pretty easy though, since I only follow about 4 titles a month.

I gave up on reading new X-MEN issues around 1999-2000 after having read the title for over 20 years, that was tough. I basically gave up on Marvel altogether shortly after..I don't believe I've read a new Marvel comic since 2001-2002. When Joe Q leaves or gets fired I might give them another try.