• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FAN EXPO CANADA™ - August 27-29, 2010 - TORONTO, CANADA

847 posts in this topic

Humidity sucks more in July than in August. By late August we're closer to September hot than we are July hot.

No way we are Florida hot. I've been to Florida during the winter (Feb/Mar) and it was more unbearably hot and humid than even the worst parts of July in Ontario.

Cooler weather.

Good Italian food.

Comics.

I may have to attend.

YES YOU SHOULD!

Ticket, rental car and rooming accomodations are all set. I get to be a Canuck for 3 days :whee:

Got to get across border first

Humidity sucks more in July than in August. By late August we're closer to September hot than we are July hot.

No way we are Florida hot. I've been to Florida during the winter (Feb/Mar) and it was more unbearably hot and humid than even the worst parts of July in Ontario.

Cooler weather.

Good Italian food.

Comics.

I may have to attend.

YES YOU SHOULD!

Ticket, rental car and rooming accomodations are all set. I get to be a Canuck for 3 days :whee:

Got to get across border first

I'll bring a koho.

hm I was just looking at some of Ty Templeton's art and there's definitely a piece I'm interested. I'm also thinking it'd be cool to get another Agnes Garbowska sketch cover--really love that last one I picked up from her ( ;) Arjuna!)

COMIC BOOK EXPO 2010 - WAVE 2.02

I am very pleased to announce the following additions to this years guest list:

KHOI PHAM

Artist- MIGHTY AVENGERS

KhoiPham.jpg

Khoi Pham is a penciller for Marvel Comics. He has most recently worked on Mighty Avengers with Dan Slott. His other published work includes Incredible Hercules, X-Factor, What If? Spiderman: Other, 1602 Fantastick Four, and Marvel Comics Presents. He is also featured in Image's Wonderlost and Image's Outlaw Territory.

THOMAS JANE

Actor/Comic Writer- HUNG, THE PUNISHER, BAD PLANET

TomandTim2.jpg

Thomas Jane currently stars in HBO's acclaimed and hilarious TV series "Hung" as Ray Drecker, a former high school sports legend turned middle-aged high school basketball coach who finds a way to benefit from his biggest asset-being hung! Jane developed a cult following when he starred as the title character in the big-screen adaptation of Marvel Comic's "The Punisher.” Jane also recently expanded into directing with the twisted pycho-noir “Dark Country.”

In addition to his acting and directorial talents, Jane founded Raw Studios in partnership with Eisner Award nominated illustrator/production designer Tim Bradstreet. Several of Raw’s properties are currently being packaged for movie and television deals, among them: "Alien Pig Farm" a hilarious piece in the vein of Zombieland that centers on a fight between Rednecks and Aliens; and cult classic horror anthology Twisted Tales, which is currently being shopped as a television series.

hm I was just looking at some of Ty Templeton's art and there's definitely a piece I'm interested. I'm also thinking it'd be cool to get another Agnes Garbowska sketch cover--really love that last one I picked up from her ( ;) Arjuna!)

i spoke with ty for about half an hour a last weekend at the toronto show, awsome guy. i was bummed he didnt have any batman pages. he told be he rotates what he brings to keep it fresh but sadly i missed the bats rotation haha. i did pick up a killer spirit splash page ( hope thats not the one you were looking at) and he did me a sweet sketch of the spirit too

COMIC BOOK EXPO 2010 - WAVE 2.03

I am very pleased to announce the following creator to this years guest list:

BOB LAYTON

-Writer, Penciller, Inker, — HERCULES: TWILIGHT OF A GOD, IRON MAN: THE END

boblaytonbio.jpg

Bob Layton has, for all intents and purposes, done it all in the comics industry. In 1978, with writing partner David Michelinie, Bob totally re-imagined Marvel's Invincible Iron Man, ultimately transforming it from a low-end book into one of Marvel's all-time best sellers. When they took over the series in 1979, the book was near cancellation numbers, under 90 thousand copies. By the time Michelinie and Layton left their first run on Iron Man, the title was selling at half-a-million units per month.

Then, years later, after the title began to tank again, Bob and David came back to Iron Man to revitalized it once more, first with the revolutionary Silver Centurion armor design and then, with the wildly-successful story arc "Armor Wars".

Their storyline "Demon in a Bottle" is now considered a milestone in comics history and was recently voted as 'one of the top 20 comic stories of all time' by the industry's own.

Numerous concepts and characters that David and Bob created are represented on the silver screen in the 2008 motion picture Iron Man and the upcoming sequel.

Bob also launched the first mini-series in comics' history at Marvel with his highly-praised Hercules: Prince of Power. That series, which Bob Layton wrote and drew, spawned a successful sequel, a graphic novel and is still available to this day in trade paperback format. Layton also revived the original X-Men characters at Marvel with his groundbreaking series X-Factor. While at Marvel, Bob designed the highly-successful Marvel Secret Wars toy line for Mattel, which has been recently re-released by Hasbro Toys.

Additionally, Layton co-created DC Comics' The Huntress (with current DC President Paul Levitz) which has appeared most recently on the WB's Birds of Prey live-action television series.

Second only to his tenure on Iron Man, Bob is also known for his innovative contributions to the Valiant Comics line; first as co-architect of the Valiant Universe, and then, as Editor-in-Chief and Senior Vice President. When Bob inherited the controlling reins of the company from his predecessor, Valiant (Voyager Communications, Inc.) was nearly 4 million dollars in the red. Undaunted, Layton succeeded in turning the company's fortunes around, netting the company nearly 30 million dollars in profits by his second year on the job.

In 1994, Valiant was sold to Acclaim Entertainment for the staggering price of 65 million dollars. Among other accomplishments during his tenure at Valiant, Layton created major story concepts and art designs for the highly-successful Turok, Dinosaur Hunter video game (the largest selling game in Acclaim's history selling over 1.5 million units) and won the comic industry's most coveted award, Editor of the Year for 1993, as voted by the readers of Wizard Magazine. Bob stepped down as Valiant's Senior Vice-President in 1996.

In 1998, Bob returned to the business of creating comics as a freelance writer/artist by teaming-up with his fellow Floridian and mentor, Giordano. Bob scripted and inked several co-authored projects with Giordano such as Batman: Dark Knight of the Round Table, Batman: Hollywood Knight, and the six-issue miniseries THE L.A.W. for DC Comics.

In June 2001, and Bob, along with head writer David Michelinie, formed Future Comics and it's cast of distinct and unusual properties including Freemind, Deathmask, Metallix and Peacekeeper.

One of Future's accomplishments was to revolutionize the distribution side of the comics business with the industry's first, totally-autonomous Internet comics company, selling to readers and booksellers alike directly through the world-wide web.

In recent days, Bob (with David Michelinie) returned to Marvel Comics and Iron Man, creating two new limited series which were released in conjunction with the Iron Man major motion picture in 2008: 'Iron Man: Legacy of Doom' and 'Iron Man: The End'. Bob is currently working with penciller Ron Lim on a new Hercules mini series for Marvel Comics.

Bob has been involved in many creative aspects of film and television throughout his career, working with such Hollywood luminaries as Howard Stern, Tracy Torme' (Star Trek, Sliders, Odyssey 5), Scott Winant (Huff, My So-Called Life, Thirtysomething), John Turman (Rise of the Sliver Surfer), Patrick Massett and Jon Zinman, (Tomb Raider, Deep Blue Sea), David Nutter (Smallville, X-Files, Witches of Eastwick) John Harrison (Dune, Children of Dune) and George Romero (Night of the Living Dead).

Along with his comics work, Bob has been collaborating with Executive Producers David Uslan, John Harrison and Maury Rogow on the development of new properties for major motion pictures and television. Bob is also teaming up with Aqua Teen Hunger Force creator, Matt Maiellaro, on a new cartoon series entitled 'Box-Monkey-Giant-Robot-Arm' for Cookie Jar Productions.

Additionally, there are film or television deals in the works for many of Bob's creative properties, including his sci-fi epic, Colony. (based on the highly-successful web comic series and upcoming graphic novel)

Bob Layton is represented by WME Entertainment.

http://www.boblayton.com/index.htm

Man , I think im going to have to talk to my post office to give me a discount on sending books to chandler ..... ....more artists...:frustrated:

Yeah, this show is really amazing. Between it and Baltimore IN THE SAME WEEKEND, I'm going to spend a fortune on SS books...

Man , I think im going to have to talk to my post office to give me a discount on sending books to chandler ..... ....more artists...:frustrated:

Yeah, this show is really amazing. Between it and Baltimore IN THE SAME WEEKEND, I'm going to spend a fortune on SS books...

+1

i spoke with ty for about half an hour a last weekend at the toronto show, awsome guy. i was bummed he didnt have any batman pages. he told be he rotates what he brings to keep it fresh but sadly i missed the bats rotation haha. i did pick up a killer spirit splash page ( hope thats not the one you were looking at) and he did me a sweet sketch of the spirit too

No worries--it's a Spider-Man page. I'm holding off for now though as any discretionary money is tied up with 1. some previous big purchases and 2. a possible future purchase of equal scope. Plus... I have a bunch of framed art already and nowhere to put it so I'd need to find some space first.

COMIC BOOK EXPO 2010 - WAVE 2.04

I am very pleased to announce the following creator to this years guest list:

YANICK PAQUETTE

Artist- BATMAN; THE RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE, DC COVER ARTIST

Yanickbiopic2.jpg

Yanick Paquette output as a penciller include title such as Superman, Wonder Woman, gen13, Alan Moore's Terra Obscura, Seven Soldier: Bulleteer. As a Marvel Exclusive he penciled most of the books including X-men somewhere in their title (Young X-men, Ultimate X-men, Civil War X-men, Uncanny X-men, Legacy X-men, X-men: Manifest destiny) but he also manage to draw Amazing Spiderman, Wolverine Origin and Weapon X. Currently, Yanick is making his Return to DC, starting with Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne. And also displaying his cover art on many DC titles.

Stan Lee update --- just wanted to say that everything is still on track --- Stan Lee is still coming to Fan Expo in August. Everyone is really excited!

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at kevin@hobbystar.com