• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FAN EXPO CANADA™ - August 27-29, 2010 - TORONTO, CANADA

847 posts in this topic

Highlight of the day for me: getting swatted on the head with a rolled up program by some young security woman as I was taking a photo of Burt Ward (with a telephoto lens from a LONG distance away), and having her bark "No photos!" at me.

It was so ludicrous, it actually made me laugh out loud.

Thats a shocking conduct for anyone to do to a customer, especially for taking a picture like that :o

Has anyone heard back from the fan expo organizers? I sent them an e-mail to express my displeasure with the experience and have not heard back as of yet (not surprised as they do have a show to run). When you pay $94 you assume you can get into the show on time. A refund will most likely never happen but I would like an explanation.

Spent $94 on a VIP pass and was unable to get back in after lunch. The floor was so crowded it took 15 minutes to walk across it in the morning.

Sorry to hear your trip here was a bit disappointing.

I would hope that they will actively seek the opinions of well traveled con go-ers like yourself to learn what works (and doesn't work) at other venues in order to tweak Fan Expo in the future.

Kevin did post earlier in this thread that he wanted to hear the good and the bad of what people thought. I just hope that the ticket and lineup issues are within his domain to fix.

Doors are opening at 11am on Sunday, not 8am. Relayed from Fan Expo staff.

i think the confusion on the Sunday opening times is because a FanExpo lady with a megaphone announced to the people in re-entry line that FanExpo would be opening two to three hours earlier on Sunday. however, before i left on Saturday, i confirmed with the FanExpo info desk that Sunday opening time is still 11:00 am.

i was stupid enough to leave the building mid-afternoon to get something to eat. i waited two hours in line to get back inside.

s

TICKETS TO FAN EXPO $85 ( adult + kid)

HOTEL ROOM AT INTERCONTINENTAL $159/night

NOT BEING ABLE TO RE-ENTER THE CON AFTER EXITING FOR A BREAK......PRICELESS

IF YOU DON'T HAVE TICKETS STAY HOME.... IF YOU DO,LET"S HOPE TOMORROW IS A BETTER DAY TO THIS NIGHTMARE.

TO THINK I COULD HAVE BEEN IN BALTIMORE!!!!! LAST TIME THEY GET MY MONEY

Andre: I so agree with you...next year roadie to Baltimore? :banana:

Honestly what was there for vintage books? Jamie Graham and Harleys which we saw last week and D'arcy Farrels photocopies on his wall?

Big B is the same stuff as the small shows he sets up at and Comic Books Addictions limited stock, as he is my LCS and is more focused on magic cards and new books. I brought a significant amount of cash and was hard pressed to spend fifty bucks :sorry:

Jim

Spent $94 on a VIP pass and was unable to get back in after lunch. The floor was so crowded it took 15 minutes to walk across it in the morning.

I would hope that they will actively seek the opinions of well traveled con go-ers like yourself to learn what works (and doesn't work) at other venues in order to tweak Fan Expo in the future.

Kevin did post earlier in this thread that he wanted to hear the good and the bad of what people thought. I just hope that the ticket and lineup issues are within his domain to fix.

I will once I have the time and a real keyboard. The show had many pro's to it and I. Figured it would be best not to post about it while upset.

I was pretty disappointed. I didn't prepay, so when I got there I waited in line for about an hour, but I was willing to do so because I brought some serious cash as I had some major books on my hit list.

In the end, the vintage dealers were not out in the force I expected. Graham, Harley, D'arcy, that's it. Jim summed it up pretty well. For the first time ever, I left a Con with cash in my pocket. Really disappointing.

The guys who I've bought from in the past at Toronto (Van Liew, Beerbohm, etc) were wise to stay away from this mess.

If they don't separate the comic floor from the rest of the expo next year I won't be going.

The show was okay. Not the best and not the worst. It was essentially an energy drainer.

It was poorly layed out and not well executed. If it weren't for the purely social aspects of the show, it would not be worth it. Yeah, they had some great guests, but after everything you had to go through to get to them, the motivation was lost. You see the wear on a lot of the vendors faces. It was not an evironment that was not conducive to spending money.

Aside from my regular pals, thirdgreenham single-handedly saved the show for me on Saturday. Thanks again, Andy.

I will once I have the time and a real keyboard. The show had many pro's to it and I. Figured it would be best not to post about it while upset.

Joey, did you try the Premium entrance via the Intercontinental Hotel at the east end of the convention centre? If you have the wrist and and the VIP pass, you should have been able to walk right in.

I arrived at 2:15 yesterday and had no problem getting in.

The show was okay. Not the best and not the worst. It was essentially an energy drainer.

It was poorly layed out and not well executed. If it weren't for the purely social aspects of the show, it would not be worth it. Yeah, they had some great guests, but after everything you had to go through to get to them, the motivation was lost. You see the wear on a lot of the vendors faces. It was not an evironment that was not conducive to spending money.

Aside from my regular pals, thirdgreenham single-handedly saved the show for me on Saturday. Thanks again, Andy.

Sorry I missed seeing you and Andy. I saw Bruno on Friday, and met joeypost and beachbum for the first time. That was the extent of it for me for board members this time around.

Decided to take my son to African Lion's Safari instead. I was holding out hope for today but after taking over 6 hours on Friday to drop off 3 comics to CGC and buy a handful of Y:The Last Man I'll skip. Now to ship my 45 slabs to CGC rather than dropping them off today for SS.

I'll be seeking a refund starting tomorrow. This show was not for comic collectors. Next year BCC!!

Joey, did you try the Premium entrance via the Intercontinental Hotel at the east end of the convention centre? If you have the wrist and and the VIP pass, you should have been able to walk right in.

I arrived at 2:15 yesterday and had no problem getting in.

At around 12:30 PM they shut down the main floor. You couldn't go up the escalator at all. They were so overcrowded. Maybe that's what Joey was talking about since I saw it firsthand.

They shut down the main floor on Sunday?

No, on Saturday they shut down access to the main floor because it was overcrowded up there. You couldn't get back up for a couple of hours from what I heard... I was out of there early on Saturday. I had enough.

It was crazy crowded, but most of the crowd was around the movie, sci-fi, horror, merch booths. Even at the height of things mid-day on Saturday, the comics booths were easy to navigate.

I agree that it would be good to move the comics dealers into a separate room, or at least keep them together at one end of the hall.

And hold it on a different weekend than Baltimore, so more US dealers are able to make the trek north.

BTW, I posted a ton of pics from Saturday in my thread in Comics General.

When anyone else a bit underwhelmed with the comic selection in terms of back issues? I had a great time overall but as a 'comic show' (which I realize is not the main goal) it felt lacking. Harley and Big B are great but I can go to the one day show and see those guys in a much less insane setting. I really did like seeing what Boom and Zenescope Entertainment had out. The lady from Boom who was drawing the Muppet covers on site was amazing!

Last minor point. Does it seem as though Marvel doesn't even try? DC had a great set-up but Marvels seemed lacking.

i went today and bought a ticket there and that was even a mess. we arrived at 930 to a huge line around the building which was fine. found the line to buy tickets and head in. we got inside and waited...10...1030...11...1130....12. i was under the impression you could buy tickets at 10 but the doors dont open till 11 which is fine but.....there were 2 large sections, pre pay and pay. THEY WOULDNT LET THE PAYS IN UNTIL THEY CLEARED THE PREPAID.WTF??? this made no sence and made alot of folks angry.

after we got inside it was fine, not many comic dealers but i didnt expect many but loads of space, i def like it better in the side of the building.

the artist ally made it for me and thats where i spent all my cash, huge thanks to jonjesper for hooking me up. sadly i didnt meet any other boardies