• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FAN EXPO CANADA™ - August 27-29, 2010 - TORONTO, CANADA

847 posts in this topic

My con experience:

Thursday - Got to the hotel around 7 PM - Hyatt Regency on King St. - nice comforatble room with a great view of the CN tower.

Friday - Lined up around 9:45 AM for 4 hours but got in just after 2 PM with the Deluxe Pass. I got to watch the madness that was the pre-paid ticket line. Some boardies didn't get in for hours even though they pre-paid.

Spent the whole day at the show, picked up books, met some boardies, had a great dinner after with some peeps on King St. - got back to the hotel around 1 AM.

Saturday - Woke up late, checked out of the Hotel and made it over to the con just before 11 AM. Witnessed the madness of the Saturday ticket line, as well as the line for people who already had wristbands. When I approached the con I managed to stroll right in by flashing my wristband when a door popped open in front of the convention - lol

Strolled around for about an hour and a half before I called it quits. The con floor got way too congested and I was too tired from the day before to want to deal with it. You should have seen the foot traffic right in front of the escalators.

I saw them stop people from going up around 12:30 since there were too many people on the show floor.

I wasn't planning on going to the airport until around 4 PM but got on a shuttle bus just before 1 & managed to catch an earlier flight home.

Thoughts -

Way too many tickets sold for the size of the space. VIP tickets should be true VIP tickets as are the C2E2 & New York Comic Con tickets. People shouldn't pay extra and still have to wait to get in. I had a Deluxe pass but still got in before the 75% of the VIP ticket holders did on Friday.

There was hardly any line management on Friday. The show floor was congested and the aisles were too narrow to accomodate all the foot traffic. The con needs to be in a bigger space if they are going to sell that many tickets.

San Diego Comic Con was much more manageable than Fan Expo was. Not enough personnel to handle the crowds in Toronto.

And hold it on a different weekend than Baltimore, so more US dealers are able to make the trek north.

Fan Expo Canada has been known to hold their conventions on the last weekend of August. It was Baltimore that switched their dates, to conflict with Fan Expo. I'm not really a US con-goer, but if I'm not mistaken, Baltimore was held in October in 2008, September in 2009, and August in 2010? For a well-known convention like that, they should really try and keep a consistent weekend to hold each year.

I arrived Saturday morning at 7:30 AM, because I knew it was going to be a mess, line up wise. Luckily, I was able to secure a dealer pass and got in at 9:00 AM with all the other dealers. Once inside, I was quite impressed. The show's set up was well done, and looked very organized. There was a definite lack of quality comic book dealers. I only bought 1 war book from Harley. My suggestion would be to not hold the show on the same weekend as any other big comic shows in the States. Baltimore took away a lot of potential comic dealers from the States to join the list of retailers. I bought the Kubert sketchbook and got to meet Andy Kubert, albeit for only a few seconds. He signed it for me, and fortunately it had been signed by Joe and Adam previously. I met Don Parent and bought some nice original art from him. 3 full 12-page stories and 2 covers. I also commissioned him to do a full page spread of Sgt. Rock with Betty and Veronica. Very nice man and great to meet him.

The best part of the show for me was going out to lunch with Joeypost and Doc Watson. We had a nice relaxing time away from the crowds and got some fresh air. Unfortunately, when we went to get back in, there was a huge line up. After making our way to the front to find out what was going on, we found that they were refusing re-entry to everyone with the exception of dealers. VIP passes were mess. Premium passes were mess. Deluxe passes were mess. Pre-paid for 3-days or Saturday only? Didn't matter. If you were outside, you were SOL. That was pretty upsetting to thousands waiting to get in.

I will continue to support Fan Expo by going to their shows if they start taking the necessary measures to stop this sort of thing from happening in the future. Sadly, I've talked to many that have decided to not go to these shows again, due to the mess of the logistics of the show. If the fire marshal says you've reached maximum capacity, then you need to either issue less tickets or find a larger location.

Best of luck moving forward, Fan Expo. (thumbs u

Andy

And hold it on a different weekend than Baltimore, so more US dealers are able to make the trek north.

Fan Expo Canada has been known to hold their conventions on the last weekend of August. It was Baltimore that switched their dates, to conflict with Fan Expo. I'm not really a US con-goer, but if I'm not mistaken, Baltimore was held in October in 2008, September in 2009, and August in 2010? For a well-known convention like that, they should really try and keep a consistent weekend to hold each year.

You are correct on the dates but I don't think B-More specifically chose that date as an efu to FanExpo.

Jim

You are correct on the dates but I don't think B-More specifically chose that date as an efu to FanExpo.

Jim

I don't think so either, but I still think for cons like that, should try to keep that consistent weekend. Or, at least, as close to that date, as possible. However, I do realize there are conflicts with the venue booking other events, which will prevent it being put on, on the same weekend every year. It just seems like a drastic change, from October to August.

deadhorse.gif Crowd control deadhorse.gif

Costumes?

Guests?

Deals?

And where are all the pics????

I am sure if you look in General you will find lots of them and quite a few of them of those spending hours outside the building. See... but if you look at all the all Baltimore pics you will be lucky if you notice any of them are line shots rather than in the con shots because it is not an issue at that con

But it was a major issue at Fan Expo and it should be discussed so things can be improved for the future.

Okay, so I haven't read this all yet, but I was warned that there were a lot of negatives here.

Tiz and I run the comics section inside the show. We offer our opinions on logistics, but our jobs are to coordinate our teams within the event. He handles the Signing Area and looks after the featured guests I look after the Pro guests along the wall in artist alley and make sure the comics programming stays on schedule. I think that the various teams ran a great show and did our best to make things run as smooth as we could within the event. I've seen fire marshalls shut down show floors in cities like New York and San Diego at times so this is not unique - just becoming more of an issue with Fan Expo, and last year the FM did it to the show when the ticket buying level (600) was too packed...

That being said, we Tiz and I and our teams don't run the lines outside. We don't handle the box office. At times we were able to help but we had to run around inside most of the time. We will relay the comments as I requested to those that did -- and they are being read. We will have to reinvent the wheel again next year when we are back in the South building.

Do we need more space? YES. Were people pissed: YES. Are we upset and concerned: YES. It's not fun to come home after an EXHAUSTING weekend of running around looking after people thinking you did a good job only to basically feel like you worked on the worst con ever and should jump off a bridge.

Feedback from guests: no complaints. Everyone was very happy with the fans and every comic creator I talked to had a successful show and loved talking to the fans.

Feedback from dealers: this was a successful show for every dealer that I talked to. People spent a lot of money at this show. Last weekend in Chicago the dealers were telling me no one is buying anything. I did not hear those complaints in Toronto from a single dealer.

Dealer selection comments: I find the dealer selection comments from experienced Toronto collectors surprising --- you know who comes to this show every year. I posted the list in this thread. It's not a strong vintage show. Vintage dealers would do very well here, and another show moving to our weekend prevented some who were considering it from coming this year --- but it's basically Harley, Bruno, Big B, Comic Book Addiction, Wes and 3-4 other dealers that do this show every year who had vintage books. The others who set up skewed towards Bronze, Copper and (especially) Modern, incl. trades.

This was my first time attending this show. I usually go to the Baltimore show but decided to use this as a chance to meet board members and get signatures and a few sketches.

Purchased a VIP pass, and I never once felt like a VIP. In all honesty, I paid more money to get in the show without any added benefit. When Jim and I arrived on Friday we had no idea where the entrance for advanced VIP ticket holders was. We met up with AlexH and he showed us. It did not get me in any sooner on Friday, it did not prevent me from waiting in line to get back in on Saturday. Maybe I was expecting more. Either way for the $94 ticket price I felt cheated.

I brought about 30 books to get signatures from different artists. The artists all showed up and 100% of the books I brought were signed. In this aspect I would say the show was successful for me. It was getting the sketches I found to be most difficult. By the time we got into the convention on Friday all the time slots were filled up. With the exception of Bob Layton, everyone else said come back first thing in the morning, which I did. Only problem they were not at the booth. Most did not show up until 11 or later. Many were doing “sketch offs” which I know are part of the shows draw, but it sucks up large amounts of time the artists could be at the booth taking requests from the fans.

One thing I did not like was the layout of the artists tables. They were all against the back wall with no way to form a line. The lines that did form blocked other artists and the aisle. At one point I just gave up trying to get through and left.

I enjoyed the city, I find Toronto to be one of the most friendly places to visit that has good food and plenty to do. We even took in a Jay’s game and watched them win in extra innings.

Here is the short list.

Guest: I would say the guest list and artists list was impressive. If I have any suggestions it would be to have more time for the fan requests for sketches and a better system so lines can form without blocking other guests or the aisles.

Comics: I brought $500 in cash to the show. I did not spend it all. The selection for me was limited (Tom may have cherry picked everything by the time I arrived) and I will not make enough money off just comics to pay for the show. The signature series books should help off-set my expenses but that still remains to be seen.

Layout: Not enough room. Escalators were a bottleneck. Too many people (I know for some this is a good thing, but you had to push your way through to get where you were going).

Attendees: Met many board members and dealers for the first time. In this regard the show was fantastic. People were carrying bags around so they were spending money which was a good thing. This show, like Mega-Con in Orlando attracts a lot of costumes. I like the costumes, especially the ones you know the wearer spent considerable time and money to put together, only problem is most of them do not spend any money and create all the bottlenecks in floor traffic. One girl had a hammer that clocked every other person walking by her. It was funny to watch but after a while you could see the frustration of those behind her trying to get past.

Overall value: taking into consideration the: price of the ticket, the comic selection, artists, guests, host city, board members attending, food, convention floor and cost to attend I would give this show a C/C+.

Positive feedback from guests/dealers is great and all, but what portion of the 60K+ attendees do they make? What good is it if you have thousands of unhappy people spending the majority of their time outside the convention?

I did not attend this year (and I was going to) but I did attend the previous years. When I heard that NOTHING had changed with regards to how they handle people coming in and out I groaned. No thanks. Haven't they learned from previous years?

No doubt it's a great show, with a great line-up of talent coming in. However, the people handling the box office/ticketing/crowd traffic should be fired.

I don't think this convention has to worry about not having enough people attend it next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if attendance drops off if they continue to treat the general admission people like cattle.

This is THE convention to go to in Toronto (sorry Wizard World) and it has obviously grown beyond its capacity in its current form. There needs to be more space for attendees and better organization. The organizer should consider leasing both the North and South venues in the future.

Overall value: taking into consideration the: price of the ticket, the comic selection, artists, guests, host city, board members attending, food, convention floor and cost to attend I would give this show a C/C+.

You are more generous than I would be. This was the third show I have attended in Toronto. The first was FanExpo last year and it was one of my favorite shows. The cost to get in that year was $50. We walked right in, got our tickets and had no problems leaving and returning. My biggest mistake that year was failing to get a Finch sketch.

The second show was Wizard World Toronto in March of this year. It was a nice show. Access to the each creator was very easy. There was plenty of room in the aisles. They was a very good comic selection to chose from... all in all a very good show. Probably spent the most fun money at this show than any other show this year.

The third was this year's FanExpo. In comparison to last years years show, it was bigger, faster and more, but it wasn't better. The tickets cost more and with no added benefit that I could determine. I heard someone refer to this show as being miserable. That hit the nail on the head for me. Each day to get there was a fight with traffic. It was a fight to get in. It was a fight to move around. I had intended to get a few sketches, but I only ended up getting a previous sketch inked and a new one from Christian Almay. I wouldn't have gotten that one if it weren't for Jon Jespersen. After being bounced around like a pinball (thanks for the analogy, Andre) bumped by the elevnty millionth backpack and banged with wooden weaponry. I lost all interest. I left each evening with a headache.

In a nutshell, I loved spending time with friends and family and I like Toronto, but when I'm ready to go home before the show is even over; that says it all.

Maybe next year... maybe not.

Kevin, Ty, Tiz & Matt I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for all that hard work you and the other Hobbystar employees and volunteers put in over the course of the weekend.

You guys acted selflessly and worked harder then I've seen anyone at a convention hustle before. There was never a dull moment for you guys and for that I extend my gratitude.

Despite the negativity lurking on the boards I'd like to state for the record that this was a successful show and if you've ever been to a comic show of this size and caliber then you'd be aware that lines and disappointments happen. The size of this show is getting bigger and this is just growing pains. For example; I waited to get into MotorCity Con one year for over 3 hours and that show was dwarfed by the Fan Expo.

Once again, thank you guys and major kudos for all the help.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

- Ben

I don't think anyone doubted that people like Kevin worked hard and did a good job in tough circumstances. I would wager a guess that no-one actually thinks of the issues were in Kevin's (and others) control.

The issue to me and other in line were that we bought VIP tickets to be ushered in late with essentially everyone else. That is a logistical issue that will most likely be fixed for next year (I would assume).

Even at the height of things mid-day on Saturday, the comics booths were easy to navigate.

We must have been at different shows.

I spent half an hour at Wes's booth chatting with Wes and a Toronto collector named Dennis (not a board member, and I'm not sure of his last name), and there were perhaps 4 or 5 other people perusing Wes's books during that time.

Same thing at Harley's booth on Saturday afternoon: for about 20 minutes it was me and 2 other guys looking through the boxes.

If you could get inside the booth and you weren't standing out in the traffic in the aisle, it wasn't so bad.

(Unfortunately, I found very little of interest comics-wise. I, too, brought a whack of cash, but I only spent $25 on comics and $15 for a Marvel Omnibus.)

But Jim, I agree with you completely about this year's FanFest vs. previous years and Wizard World.

This year's FanFest was overpriced for the value. The $94 pass offered little added value. And the chaos OFF the show floor was truly frustrating.

I much preferred Wizard World. For my tastes and interests, WW was a fantastic show with an excellent range of dealers, very few costumed fans, and no overcrowding problems.

I'm glad I went to FanFest, and at the very least, it was a memorable weekend (and not for the right reasons). But I doubt I'll return next year. I'll stick to the one-day shows and Wizard World. And I have vowed to make the trek to one of the big US shows sometime in the next 12 months.

I don't think anyone doubted that people like Kevin worked hard and did a good job in tough circumstances. I would wager a guess that no-one actually thinks of the issues were in Kevin's (and others) control.

The issue to me and other in line were that we bought VIP tickets to be ushered in late with essentially everyone else. That is a logistical issue that will most likely be fixed for next year (I would assume).

I feel for you and all those who suffered through the line shenanigans; clearly there was a breakdown in organization as far as that was concerned. I merely wanted to extend a thank you to the hard workers who make these things possible period. It didn't seem like anyone had thought to do so yet so I wanted to pop that cherry.

Joker-Clapping.gif

I feel for you and all those who suffered through the line shenanigans; clearly there was a breakdown in organization as far as that was concerned. I merely wanted to extend a thank you to the hard workers who make these things possible period. It didn't seem like anyone had thought to do so yet so I wanted to pop that cherry.

You are right a lot of people did work hard and deserve some credit :headbang:. As I said before that once I made it into the show I had a great time.

Despite the negativity lurking on the boards I'd like to state for the record that this was a successful show and if you've ever been to a comic show of this size and caliber then you'd be aware that lines and disappointments happen. The size of this show is getting bigger and this is just growing pains. For example; I waited to get into MotorCity Con one year for over 3 hours and that show was dwarfed by the Fan Expo.

I know Kevin worked hard. That's not in dispute.

I have been to WW Texas, WW Chicago three times, C2E2, MotorCity twice, MegaCon twice, HeroesCon twice, Big Apple twice, New York ComicCon once, FanExpo twice, WW Toronto, Mid-Ohio once and Baltimore twice.

I'm not a novice. I am well versed in lines and know first hand that things don't always go as planned; however, I have never been afraid to leave the convention floor for fear of not being allowed to return.

Bigger isn't always better.

It isn't my intention to be completely negative. I don't have an ax to grind with anyone. If it weren't for the time spent with other board members, friends and family, then the show would have been a complete waste of time, effort and money. Simple as that.

Even at the height of things mid-day on Saturday, the comics booths were easy to navigate.

If you could get inside the booth and you weren't standing out in the traffic in the aisle, it wasn't so bad.

Oh, I misunderstood. Yeah, behind the booths was like a tropical oasis compared to the aisles.

Oh, I misunderstood. Yeah, behind the booths was like a tropical oasis compared to the aisles.

Yes, the weather was nicer in there, too. (thumbs u