• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,634 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2022 at 3:04 PM, ivegotneatstuff said:

I just picked up a ScanSnap SV600 - which is kinda odd looking..but I love the scans it takes

scan.thumb.jpg.bbdafe98b23ebeea90706e4ffd2625ec.jpg

1844671568_moonknight1.thumb.jpg.dc90cd69de98157734e080fbfd19db72.jpg

That's a pretty cool unit and I see it uses CCD optics like the flatbed scanners though it looks more like a picture.

Was your base uneven?  Can you eliminate the diminishing left to right effect or is that due to the location of the scanner itself in relation to the slab(not centered over it)?

On 2/25/2022 at 11:06 PM, 70s80sTimeMachine said:

I ended up going with another model in that CZUR line. For $250-$350 budget; this is unbeatable for the value. It's completely silent which is perfect for me given I can't scan until late at night. Additionally you can scan hands free with this hardware. Here is a slab with a tough cover to scan.

421 .jpg

Whoa, another great option! Between the two of them it's nice nice to have some options at an affordable price!

On 10/14/2021 at 9:25 AM, GACollectibles said:

UPDATED LIST:

REMEMBER: The proper Image Sensor to scan slabs is CCD, not CIS

New Additions:

ScanSnap SV600 Overhead Scanner https://www.fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/soho/sv600/
CZUR Aura X Pro w/Side Light (and other models) https://shop.czur.com/collections/all

EPSON DS-50000

Epson GT-15000

Epson GT-20000

HP 7310

HP 7400 (7710 is the actual number for a search)

HP 7400C

HP 7410 All-in-one.

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

HP 8390 (according to HP specs)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus

Microtek i900 (added)

Microtek V6UPL

Microtek 9600-9700-9800 (9800XL added)

PLUSTEK OPTICPRO A320 (confirmed)

PLEASE NOTE: List does not account for operating system compatibility

Vuescan software for scanning/editing is recommended as well.

Edited by GACollectibles

HP SCANJET 8290

Anyone had to deal with "ERROR 06" yet? Scanner was working fine yesterday...today I'm getting "ERROR 06"

Any help is appreciated. I've tried power cycling the scanner about 20 times...

On 3/25/2022 at 1:57 PM, AGGIEZ said:

HP SCANJET 8290

Anyone had to deal with "ERROR 06" yet? Scanner was working fine yesterday...today I'm getting "ERROR 06"

Any help is appreciated. I've tried power cycling the scanner about 20 times...

The Internet seems to think that a firmware update and/or scanning at 300 dpi rather than the default 200 dpi may solve this. Worth a shot… (shrug)

On 9/14/2021 at 1:59 PM, Wisconsin Comics said:

Plustek no manipulation to the photos… natural scan.

🤯

DE1657C6-3CA7-47C9-A5AD-A0628D37D02B.webp

670117ED-4209-43F2-A823-FB00C3FAAD61.webp

What are the settings you are using on the Plustek OpticPro A320E? I just got one and not getting the same look out of the box.

HP 8300 has arrived. 

I used these books due to the amount of color since that is a key factor for me. I must say, the scans look very close to the real thing. 
I have a Windows 10 PC and the computer picked it up right away. 
The scan out of the box was way off and needed tweaking. 

I installed Photoshop Express and just set these settings:
Contrast +50
White +50
Black -40
Vibrance +50

Big shoutout to @Timeless icons for giving me insight into what they use, the settings to tweak and overall contentment with the HP 8300 scanner. 
I appreciate you taking out the time to share your hobby knowledge with me. Many thanks! 

Scan_20220701 (2)_edited_edited.jpg

Scan_20220701 (4)_edited.jpg

Scan_20220701 (5)_edited_edited.jpg

Scan_20220701_edited.jpg

Scan_20220701333_edited.jpg

I just purchased a CZUR Aura-X Pro based off what I've seen in this thread. Got one used for $160, which seems like a very fair price. 

I needed something that can be easily folded and tucked away without taking up much room. Will need to test in in hand to see the actual scan quality. 

On 7/1/2022 at 4:14 PM, KB81 said:

HP 8300 has arrived. 

I used these books due to the amount of color since that is a key factor for me. I must say, the scans look very close to the real thing. 
I have a Windows 10 PC and the computer picked it up right away. 
The scan out of the box was way off and needed tweaking. 

I installed Photoshop Express and just set these settings:
Contrast +50
White +50
Black -40
Vibrance +50

Big shoutout to @Timeless icons for giving me insight into what they use, the settings to tweak and overall contentment with the HP 8300 scanner. 
I appreciate you taking out the time to share your hobby knowledge with me. Many thanks! 

Scan_20220701 (2)_edited_edited.jpg

Scan_20220701 (4)_edited.jpg

Scan_20220701 (5)_edited_edited.jpg

Scan_20220701_edited.jpg

Scan_20220701333_edited.jpg

You're quite welcome and I'm glad it all worked well for you. I never messed with the viberance myself but if you're finding that it gets the scans as close as possible to the book itself, that's perfect. A light background on the scanner cover might also help, rather than the black background but that's just preference. Nice books by the way. If you want to get the most accurate scans possible and you don't mind the extra work, having your monitor calibrated to ISF (image science foundation) standards will make both your monitor content and your scan job the most accurate it can possibly be. You can look up ISF calibrations for your monitor/tv online and most likely, someone has already dumped their results online for others to use who have the same display. They are the ones who set the color standards for the most accurate images/movies in the industry. Happy scanning. (thumbsu

Edited by Timeless icons

Hoping for some help for my use case. I need to scan both graded and u graded books and also cards. I collect comics and also marvel and star wars Pokémon cards. 

Ideally it would be able to scan quickly accurately and separate images as well for the cards. I have to catalog everything for insurance and I feel I like It could take weeks If not longer. 

I like the ones that look to stand up on a table edge would work perfect for me or just a dedicated scanner that would do both would be fine as well. 

Appreciate any thoughts or opinions thank you all. 

On 6/16/2021 at 6:00 PM, VintageComics said:

If your scanner is used, I believe that line is on the inside of the glass from the hardware constantly rubbing against the glass over the lifetime of the slab.

It may get polished out but you'd have to remove the glass to get at it.

I think I'm experiencing that problem with my i800.  Looks like I have an EKG in the middle of the image...

IBflvOf.jpg

Edited by nearmint

On 7/1/2022 at 3:47 PM, the menace said:

I just purchased a CZUR Aura-X Pro based off what I've seen in this thread. Got one used for $160, which seems like a very fair price. 

I needed something that can be easily folded and tucked away without taking up much room. Will need to test in in hand to see the actual scan quality. 

How have you liked this scanner it’s in my budget and seems like it could work. 

I just got the CZUR scanner,  it sucks and I already am sending it back. My HP 8250 was much better but since renewing Vuescan, the program kept crashing over and over, finally ordered the CUR but the scans are terrible and the adjustments are a pain to deal with. Have to find another scanner that actually works.  

On 9/20/2022 at 2:56 PM, Kevin76 said:

I just got the CZUR scanner,  it sucks and I already am sending it back.

They actually made a scanner with a model name that’s pronounced “seizure”?

On 9/20/2022 at 1:56 PM, Kevin76 said:

I just got the CZUR scanner,  it sucks and I already am sending it back. My HP 8250 was much better but since renewing Vuescan, the program kept crashing over and over, finally ordered the CUR but the scans are terrible and the adjustments are a pain to deal with. Have to find another scanner that actually works.  

I'm with you.  I am not impressed.  It's a $350 machine that takes pics of the slab, like my iPhone can do.  A pain to set up.  A pain to adjust the settings to get it to look good.  It's too late to send mine back, so I may sell it on eBay.

On 9/20/2022 at 10:24 PM, Rob said:

I'm with you.  I am not impressed.  It's a $350 machine that takes pics of the slab, like my iPhone can do.  A pain to set up.  A pain to adjust the settings to get it to look good.  It's too late to send mine back, so I may sell it on eBay.

My flatbed was much better and I could adjust the color. Now I gotta order a new scanner and I've got slabs coming back and can't sell them till the new one shows up.  I miss the days of being able to walk into a store and finding what you need and coming home with it. Now it's "Oh, that's on our website"   

On 9/21/2022 at 4:52 AM, Kevin76 said:

My flatbed was much better and I could adjust the color. Now I gotta order a new scanner and I've got slabs coming back and can't sell them till the new one shows up.  I miss the days of being able to walk into a store and finding what you need and coming home with it. Now it's "Oh, that's on our website"   

There is a flatbed that’s quicker than the older ones that’s been mentioned a few times and it’s Available from bestbuy which has a 30-60 day return policy the a320e. It looked like it took pretty good scans from the pics I saw. 

for me I’m more concerned about raw books then slabs I guess. Just to show any issues the other thing would be you still may end up using your phone to show the spine so your still going to end up taking pictures I’m afraid.