• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

BTW, the blurriness that many people experience when scanning CGC slabs is because their scanner is focusing on the outside of the slab itself, and not on the comic inside the slab.

Just like auto-focus on a camera, some scanners determines the the optimum focal depth of the object on the scanning bed. If there's a three dimensional object on the scanning bed - like a CGC slab - the scanner automatically determines what area of the object it should focus on. With some of these scanners, it can "see past" the plastic of the CGC slab and focus on the comic itself. With other scanners, it focuses on the plastic slab itself, which throws the comic out of focus.

Then there's a third group of scanners where there is no auto focus at all: it has fixed focus - set to focus on the glass platen - so anything that isn't sitting flush against the glass will be out of focus.

Unfortunately, with all scanners that I know of, there is no way to manually control the focal depth. So make sure you buy a scanner that can focus on the comic inside the slab!

That is what's exactly happening to me now! I have an Epson Artisan 810 and no matter what I do, the scan for ONLY CGC slabs come out blurry. Going to have to buy another scanner now. :(

img003_zpsedc1360f.jpg

img004_zps84bf8fa3.jpg

Just figured out after going back and reading these posts again, that my scanner has the issue of auto focus and will not work for CGC slabs.

So DO NOT buy a Epson Artisan 810!

I have a few $5k office scanners at my work so I am going to run there and see how they turn out.

Debating on if I should purchase this if they don't scan well at my work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIPPING-lower-48-HP-OfficeJet-7410-NICE-CLEAN-MFP-w-250-sheet-tray-/110952001081?pt=COMP_Printers&hash=item19d5412e39

Anybody used the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus?

Any examples of scans this can do with slabs?

Thinking about buying one tomorrow so any help would be great (thumbs u

I own one and it is not the best to use on some slabs. Some of the scans can look really dark and some can look a bit fuzzy. I will scan a slab when I get home so you can see and post it here. Great for raw books if you need it for that too.

If the store has models that you can test on then bring a slab to see the quality.

In the four local stores we have its one of only 3 I have found that will scan documents of legal or A4 size. The other 2 are out of my price range :(
SHI10-3_zps6226ab4e.jpg

Here is a slab scanned at 200 dpi and the image not corrected through any photo software.

SHI10-3_zpsb92c633c.jpg

Here it is the same scan corrected with a photo software and it makes the label look bad when I use it.

Edited by keldog

Anybody used the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus?

Any examples of scans this can do with slabs?

Thinking about buying one tomorrow so any help would be great (thumbs u

I just picked one up today. We needed to update our copier and fax machine and this was a good deal brand new from Office Max for $199.00.

It does hold a full slab too. Looks o.k. but the color seems a bit faded. I'll mess with it when I have some time and see if I can tweek it. Here's my first try at it.

testtwo001.jpg

Well if those scans are the worst ill expect (or even the best) then I think ill be able to settle. I need to buu a new printer scanner and the HP 8600 is best deal I could find where the scan bed sits a slab.

Cheers guys

Well if those scans are the worst ill expect (or even the best) then I think ill be able to settle. I need to buu a new printer scanner and the HP 8600 is best deal I could find where the scan bed sits a slab.

Cheers guys

The 8600 will give you a blurry scan(like the ones above), if you can try to get a used or refurbed HP 8300 instead- based on posted scans earlier in the thread the results are outstanding. The scanner uses the old style bar and get the depth perception correct. You can even find the unit for sale new in box on ebay. There was another unit I was researching this week that was for sale in the UK new in box that is compatible for slabs and isn't blurry, I'll dig out the model/listing this morning.

Recap from earlier in the thread:

Scanners that aren't blurry-

Microtek i800

HP 7410 All-In-One

HP 7780 All-In-One

Brother MFC-8480DN

HP SCANJET 4000

HP Scanjet 8200

HP Scanjet 8300

My wife got me a new Microtek i800 for Christmas.

I can't get the color right and worse, I can't get rid of the light reflections.

I have the package software that came with the scanner and I also have vue scan pro. Can't get either to do right.

Can someone give some pointers for me please?

image00001_zps8074d190.jpg

reallife3_zps56c86978.jpg

Microtek i800

HP 7410 All-In-One

HP 7780 All-In-One

Brother MFC-8480DN

HP SCANJET 4000

HP Scanjet 8200

HP Scanjet 8300

I mentioned WAAAY back in this thread, but the Epson GT-20000 is unmatched. No, it's not cheap, but you will never need another scanner again with an 11.7x17 scanning bed.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=B11B195011

completely untouched scan with no post-processing. Never a glare of *any* kind. And these scans are about 1/8 of the full resolution.

with lid closed (white background) the colors really pop.

5901f.jpg

with the lid open (dark background) the details really come through.

14732f.jpg

Edited by sl4ppy

Microtek i800

HP 7410 All-In-One

HP 7780 All-In-One

Brother MFC-8480DN

HP SCANJET 4000

HP Scanjet 8200

HP Scanjet 8300

I mentioned WAAAY back in this thread, but the Epson GT-20000 is unmatched. No, it's not cheap, but you will never need another scanner again with an 11.7x17 scanning bed.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=B11B195011

completely untouched scan with no post-processing. Never a glare of *any* kind. And these scans are about 1/8 of the full resolution.

with lid closed (white background) the colors really pop.

Thanks for the reminder, if it's a viable option I'll add it to the list as an update.

That wasn't the unit that didn't have updated drivers for more recent OSs, was it? I'll have to reread the thread again.