• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody bidding in the January Comiclink auctions?

231 posts in this topic

btw, did anyone else notice that a ton of the books (DC's anyway) are from Ritter's site?

I did not notice that, interesting. You either have a good eye or OCD !

yes, all those books you thought were "sold" were either consigned (most likely) or wholesaled to clink and heritage

You are absolutely correct, my assumption about Ritter's DC sales was wrong.

If a major dealer like Ritter, with one of the best websites around, is consigning to Clink this shows Clink is THE major auction house.

Ritter co-signs alot to them.

ComicLink does one thing that drives me crazy -- they add "Highest CGC Graded!" to books that only tie for highest.

For example, the Feb auction has this noted for a Rangers 27 in 8.5. But there are FOUR at that level, all tied for highest.

Does this bother anyone else? Is this a mountain out of a mole hill?

gozer

--------------------------

You might remember me from such films as "The Boatjacking of

Supership 79" and "Hydro, the Man With the Hydraulic Arms."

I see some board members doing the same thing in the marketplace. And yes, it's annoying. With CL, there's no option when listing a book to say that it shares the top spot. You can only choose between "highest graded", "2nd highest graded", etc...

I share your irritation with the "highest graded" and "second highest graded" hype. The former is really a "top census copy", and can be one of many. The latter isn't second best in any way, shape, or form, except in the occasional situation when there is only a single copy at the highest grade level. :sumo:

I put a thrill bid on an Avengers book weeks ago and forgot about it.. I Can't believe it's still the hi bid.

I did the same with 2 Avengers books. Didn't bid particularly high, but I'm still winning.

Of course, I imagine that will change in the final minutes tonight. :cry:

If a major dealer like Ritter, with one of the best websites around, is consigning to Clink this shows Clink is THE major auction house.

Almost every major dealer, including those with their own websites and even their own auctions, also sells through Clink and/or Heritage.

ComicLink does one thing that drives me crazy -- they add "Highest CGC Graded!" to books that only tie for highest.

For example, the Feb auction has this noted for a Rangers 27 in 8.5. But there are FOUR at that level, all tied for highest.

gozer

I see some board members doing the same thing in the marketplace. And yes, it's annoying. With CL, there's no option when listing a book to say that it shares the top spot. You can only choose between "highest graded", "2nd highest graded", etc...

I don't think CL says "highest graded" or "2nd highest CGC graded". They will say "highest CGC grade" or "2nd highest CGC grade" or something like that, which is technically correct.

Of course, as everyone has pointed out, the book could have the highest CGC grade but be tied with many others for that grade. To their credit, in the auction description CL will often say that it's 1 of ___, and in case of 2nd or 3rd highest grade that there are ___ number of books higher. Not quite as detailed or consistent as Heritage's descriptions on this issue, but I think they generally try to ensure that the description is not misleading (or at least a relatively white shade of gray).

I think anybody looking for a highest graded copy of a book doesn't care if it's single highest or one of a dozen.

(shrug)

Speak for yourself. There's a big difference between a 9.8 book that's 1 of 12 and a 9.8 book that's 1 of 1.

The difference is even bigger if for the 1 of 12 case there are 800 9.6 copies, whereas for the 1 of 1 case the next highest copy is an 8.0.

I think anybody looking for a highest graded copy of a book doesn't care if it's single highest or one of a dozen.

(shrug)

Speak for yourself. There's a big difference between a 9.8 book that's 1 of 12 and a 9.8 book that's 1 of 1.

The difference is even bigger if for the 1 of 12 case there are 800 9.6 copies, whereas for the 1 of 1 case the next highest copy is an 8.0.

Sorry, I should have said that better.

A collector will definitely care how many highest graded copies of a book exist when deciding how much to spend on a copy, but if a collector is looking to put together a highest graded run of books, I think the "highest graded" designation would be useful in their searches. Therefore I think anybody looking for a highest graded copy of a particular book doesn't care if it's single highest or one of a dozen when looking to fill a run.

Nice....

Nothing so far for me...prices much firmer then I expected them to be. Not even ending up as the underbidder on a lot of the stuff. Maybe the market has turned around.... (shrug)

Good ;)

My books are doing very well.

gozer

I don't think CL says "highest graded" or "2nd highest CGC graded". They will say "highest CGC grade" or "2nd highest CGC grade" or something like that, which is technically correct.

Of course, as everyone has pointed out, the book could have the highest CGC grade but be tied with many others for that grade. To their credit, in the auction description CL will often say that it's 1 of ___, and in case of 2nd or 3rd highest grade that there are ___ number of books higher. Not quite as detailed or consistent as Heritage's descriptions on this issue, but I think they generally try to ensure that the description is not misleading (or at least a relatively white shade of gray).

That's not right, Tim. CL says "Highest CGC Graded", "2nd Highest CGC Graded", etc...