• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2022 at 10:40 AM, lou_fine said:

I would tend to agree that both are trying to achieve the same purpose on behalf of their consignors.  (thumbsu

If you compare the Qes and the CVA sticker programs though, I would prefer the QES sticker more since it at least comes up with an individual listing of why that particular book receive the QES sticker in the first place.  The CVA sticker, on the other hand, is just a sticker with the same blanket general explanation applied to all of the books that supposedly qualifies for one.  hm  (shrug)

I get that , and do agree . However Metro and gang usually highlight the same aspects regardless of QES most of the time in the same verbiage . For the new collector it is more helpful , and the seasoned one can appreciate the summary and see if they agree.

In my experience the CVA books are much sharper then QES by a landslide . 
Truthfully I think most veteran collectors here have been buying the book and not the label so not much of an impact .

Although I have had CVA books on a small sample size get a bump without a CPR .

QES books I have not resubbed and with lead times and QC issues , it’s probably not going to happen for a few years anyway .

I would be interested in feedback from others that own both stickers for resubs and general book quality though 

Edited by UncleBEN

On 8/20/2022 at 11:00 AM, lou_fine said:

The part that I find strange and a bit irrational is that usually the same people that say they wouldn't pay a dollar more for a book with one othese stickers are usually the same people who would then go out and spend multiples more for a book with a higher CGC graded label even though the book clearly does NOT appear to be as nice as one with a lower graded label.  (:  :screwy:

Especially since I know a number of collectors who have brought the books with these stickers and then simply resubmitted them back into CGC for regrading and ended up with a higher graded book at a much cheaper cost by just paying for the regrading fee.  They claim it's almost a guarantee for most books (i.e. not every single one) if they go further and CPR the book and they sometimes even come back 2 or 3 grade increments higher defect upon the defects.  Sounds as though they are using the stickers to help them identify potential CPR qualifiable books and figure the battle is more than half won if it has one of these stickers on it, if you are into playing the CPR game.  hm  (shrug)

Yep, totally don't  understand why collectors would pay mutiples more for a slightly higher graded labeled book when it doesn't appear to be as nice or in line with the CGC grade.  Especially when a dollar value is a fixed known amount, whereas as history has clearly shown us over and over agin, a grade is just a subjective (albeit a so-called expert one) when the book crosses a grader's table and might come up with a different number if on a different day.  What makes it even worse is all of the manipulation that can take place as we have seen books moved right up from a CGC 9.0 to a CGC 9.8. :Rocket:

I guess it's really a case of to each their own, and that's why I tend to go more with the overall eye appeal of a book as opposed to a sometimes very changeable CGC label.  Especially since I am more of the old school pre-CGC generation of collector who doesn't need to own the highest graded copy of a book for my own personal collection.  (thumbsu

Missed this post from my previous reply , you pretty well summed it all up . 👍

On 8/20/2022 at 7:14 PM, Dark Knight said:

To me the CL 9.0 > HA 9.2

I am just so glad that I am not the type of collector that has to make these high end expensive purchasing decisions like this one here.  (thumbsu

I guess I just have to be happy with the copy that I got back in the day and it's all good as long as it doesn't drop below my purchase price point. :wishluck:

Then again, if it does, I imagine almost everybody here would be crying an even bigger storm than me.  :cry:

On 9/8/2022 at 1:47 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

What in the world is going on with recent sales X-Men 1 CGC 9.2 just sold for 186 000$ that is insane the last one and a ugly one at that sold for 204 000$ and last summer a nice one went for 276 000$.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/x-men-1-marvel-1963-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7279-91057.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Almost like some here mentioned something about this awhile back. The book was never really worth $276k. 

On 9/8/2022 at 1:47 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

What in the world is going on with recent sales X-Men 1 CGC 9.2 just sold for 186 000$ that is insane the last one and a ugly one at that sold for 204 000$ and last summer a nice one went for 276 000$.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/x-men-1-marvel-1963-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7279-91057.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Same thing as the rest of the comic market...

On 9/8/2022 at 9:51 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Agreed wonder when things will pick they always do just a matter of time. First time see this in decades and decades. Best to hold on for a few years if you can.

Yup, I'm kind of on hold right now.  

There are some key books I would like to upgrade. It's a double edge sword because my lower grade copies are also losing value, but I'm hoping once things settle I'll be able to find a deal on a midgrade X1. 

I was surprised to see that beautiful 6.5 on the boards for only $25k. But then I think back to only a few years ago when that book would have been $6k.... it will be interesting to see what happens from here,  but I do agree anyone who bought in the last 24 months just needs to be patient. 

Guys it should come as no surprise these books are starting to peel off, interest rates have increased this year at the sharpest rate ever.  And we're still historically very low!  One backdrop is inflation is very high, but once that settles down I expect more downward pressure to hold collectibles and prices will continue to drop.  

I don't know how you can say in 1-2 years these books will rebound, I see lower prices ahead.  It doesn't matter to me because my X-Men 1 was never going to be sold so I don't care about its value outside of insurance purposes. 

On 9/8/2022 at 12:47 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Good looking copy as well.  I'm surprised that it hasnt been holding value since Marvel is slowly letting out X-men tidbits like the last episdoe of She-Hulk which had a newpaper sidebar "Man with metal claws in bar brawl",

But what goes up must come down.  All major keys are dropping across the board.  Could be a good time to pick up some books for a discount. 

On 9/9/2022 at 9:38 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

Will take a while but the market will rebound I have seen this a few times in sports cards the sky was falling and then it was not it went back up. It is rough right now but it will get better.

When was this?  Because over the last 40 years interest rates have only gone down....now they're on their way back up and the cost of borrowing impacts everything, real estate, equity markets, bond markets, collectibles, etc.  

On 9/9/2022 at 10:00 AM, Funnybooks said:

I would not touch this book even at the current perceived discount. Just like I would not purchase a house right now with the current "discount". Still feels bloated.

Big difference with housing is that people need to live.  And where I am, home prices are going down but rents are increasing - we still have a housing shortage that isn't going away anytime soon.   I don't need to go out and buy an X-men 1, there will always be copies available for sale whether it's 2 years from now, 5, or 20.

On 9/9/2022 at 9:53 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

I don't see the down lasting either but will take time to get back on its feet. Bad time to sell and good time to buy.

You keep preaching this, but the fact of the matter is you don't know.  And no one knows.  Saying with absolute certainly that prices will be higher 2 years from now is no different than playing a game of chance.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:07 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

All things get better over time they always do just look at history we will get threw these harder times. Brighter days will come.

Of course.  But that doesn't mean things can't get much worst before they get better.   I was professionally trading equities in 2007-2008 and saw first hand what happened with all the major banking institutions.  There's nothing to say your copy of X-men 1 can't fall another 10-50% in value...

On 9/9/2022 at 10:08 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

Same as saying they won't get any better would apply here as well.

But that's not what you're saying.  You just said that selling right now is not a good idea and that prices will rebound in 2-3 years.  You're picking a bottom and no one knows what or where the bottom will be.  That's my point.