• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your comic-collecting goals?

85 posts in this topic

As a thought spun off while reading another thread, I just figured I'd put this out there.

What exactly are your current comic-book collecting goals? Have you had other goals in the past? Did you complete them or not?

Mine is to finish the original X-Men run, I have from 93-up (but need to replace the GSXM I sold last year.) I also have a handful of issues scattered about below #93, and this goal will probably never be completed. Not trying to stir any pots, but the entire pressing thing has repressed (*EDIT* - no pun intended) my desire to finish this run, as I don't want to own a pressed book, and now (it seems) that all SA and older books are fodder for this service. I might pick up a few books here & there if I know they are OO, but I highly doubt I will ever get all 80 or so issues I'm missing. That's the only real goal I have and have ever had for comic-books.

-slym

To complete the following:

Detective Comics 50-850 all slabbed and within specific grades, as well as have at least one example of every pedigree available in that run.

Strange Adventures with Deadman all CGC 9.0 or better.

Strange Tales 135-whatever issue nick fury left in 9.0

Nick Fury Agent of Shield steranko issues 9.0 or better.

All Flash complete run. With little concern of condition of #1 as it is the most over priced book of the golden age and readily available in almost any grade.

To own every key book I ever wanted as a kid in 9.0 or better.

As a thought spun off while reading another thread, I just figured I'd put this out there.

What exactly are your current comic-book collecting goals? Have you had other goals in the past? Did you complete them or not?

Mine is to finish the original X-Men run, I have from 93-up (but need to replace the GSXM I sold last year.) I also have a handful of issues scattered about below #93, and this goal will probably never be completed. Not trying to stir any pots, but the entire pressing thing has repressed (*EDIT* - no pun intended) my desire to finish this run, as I don't want to own a pressed book, and now (it seems) that all SA and older books are fodder for this service. I might pick up a few books here & there if I know they are OO, but I highly doubt I will ever get all 80 or so issues I'm missing. That's the only real goal I have and have ever had for comic-books.

-slym

Sound very much in line with my collecting goals up until now. I had aimed to finish a UXM run of 93 to current (including all giant sizes and annuals) myself before the end of last year. However, I missed out, on compleing this set, by two issue which I have just managed to locate. Again I have about 20 books prior to 93 including a #1 but I doubt I will complete this set in its entirety for a while :cry: It's just a little bit to expensive for me right now.

I have recently decided to change my focus towards moderns, I have missed out on. My aim is to get a complete, up to date run, on Walking Dead, Goon and the boys while getting Walking dead 1 - 12 in CGC 9.8 as well as CXGC run on Chew 1 - 6 before the year is out. I would also like to complete my run on Saga of the swamp thing and X-factor.

I think for me simply concentrating on the back issues on one series has gotten a little stale so I am expanded my net. As such I have chosen books that I have really enjoyed reading in TPB's and which will not take much money to complete but still may be a challenge.

I had some goal that I actually completed-

1) Get a Giant Size X Men #1 CGC 7.0 or higher--got a 8.0 for my Bday

2) Get Hulk 181 CGC 5.0 or higher--got a 7.0 and waiting to get my new case back from CGC

3) Get my top 15 moderns CGC--just came back from CGC very happy about the outcome.

4) Get all the "Back in Black" Spiderman comics

5) Get NM #98 --got a 9.6 CGC( would like to upgrade to a 9.8 soon)

6) Collect all the Chew,Haunt,and Dark Avengers(so far so good)

7) Get all Marvel Zombies Vol 1 and Vol 2 in NM+

8) Get SS CGC series Ultimate SpiderMan signed by both Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley on the same issue

Not Completed

1) Walking Dead 1-10---all 9.4 or above--very close still need # 3 and # 5--almost got #1 and #2

2) Tomb Of Dracula #1 and #10 CGC 9.2 or above

3) AMF #15, AMS #1-10, X Men #1- any CGC Blue Label copy-need to win a lottery for this one

4) Signed Walking Dead #9 signed by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard (dont know if that even is possible)

Finish my Surfer run and possibly look around for possible Sailor Moon stuff.

Just started reading Walking Dead, but that won't take me too long, as I can read 2 GN in one work day...

after that, geez, i dunno....maybe i should go big and start a FF run ???

My major goal is to do a full ASM run slabbed and unslabbed. The only thing is that it seems a bit too broad for me to concentrate on. So I have been thinking of working on a McFarlane run of 9.6 - 9.8 slabs (my 9.4 SS gets a bump) and finish up my raw books. I think doing a small 30 book goal is a little easier for me work toward.

I know I could probably finish this in a few months but I will probably take my time on it.

Still working on the same core run finishing Goals that I have been on for a few years. Getting quite close to some of them...

* Complete full Runs of:

1. Cerebus (1 issue needed # 5 come on, hook and aardvark up, somebody!) I own genuine # 1 7.0 CGC, and a # 3 9.6 CGC. I would like to pick up a 4 and 5 9.6 CGC and a 2 9.0 CGC or better. At the end of it all I will try and buy a page of Cerebus OA!

2. X-men (need 75 issues) I plan to complete 94-current first of which i need 9 issues including GSX 1

3. Incredible Hulk (v2) {need 30 issues including Hulk 180 and 181}

4. TMNT (v1) {need 13 issues, all variants, already have a full run from 1-60}

5. Heavy Metal Magazine (need 28 issues, all specials. I have completed the full run of the regular magazine)

* Also, last year I foolishly embarked on the quest of collecting the full run of Conan the Barbarian CGC graded. Target grades are 9.4 for 1-3 and 9.4-9.6 for 4-25 and 9.6 and up for the rest. I have at least 46 slabs including a load of Winnapeg issues that range from 9.4- 9.8 and a couple other pedigrees. Always seeking Conan Pedigrees :sumo:

* A loftier goal I have been working towards for some time is Collecting EVERY Vertigo Comic Still looking for the White whales, an affordable Preacher Preview, and Sandman 1a B&W Preview (A4 size)

* I am closing in on Completing the Whole Publisher Run of First Comics. (cant find my First list atm, but i know i only need a handful of issues... 10 or so)

* I have vowed to buy an X-men #1 this year. Looking for a slabbed copy from 4.0-5.0

* I also have the goal of collecting every Conan Comic ever published... (anyone have a copy of MGN Conan the Rogue?)

* Next on the list of Keys to buy (after the UXM 1) will probably be Strange Tales 110 and House of Secrets 92. Also still need Hulk 181 and GSX 1 to complete runs above.

* recently got into Pulps, and I want to continue buying Conan / REH cover Weird Tales, as well as Early collectible Conan / REH Hardcovers (Arkham House / Gnome Press) as well as the Wandering Star Limited Edition REH Books

* edited to add my Birthday Quest! How could i forget about this one! doh! I am looking to collect a copy of each issue of Marvel comics with my birth month and year on the cover (July 1970) Target grades around VF Raw. Certain books I may also try for in CGC 9.4. Fantastic Four 100 and ASM 86 will probably be the most expensive of those issues. Also I may allow a couple of DCs into the Quest (HoM, HoS, Unexpected) plus Eerie 28 and Vampi 6

* Last but not least, Organize my collection better! :whee:

* I also have the goal of collecting every Conan Comic ever published...

Does this include the Mexican comic "La Reina de la Costa Negra"? It actually starred Belit, the Queen of the Black Coast, but it featured a blonde Conan... circa 1952-1958...

LaReinadelaCostaNegra11-401959-01.jpg

* I also have the goal of collecting every Conan Comic ever published...

Does this include the Mexican comic "La Reina de la Costa Negra"? It actually starred Belit, the Queen of the Black Coast, but it featured a blonde Conan... circa 1952-1958...

Awesome book! I was not aware of that one. I have a couple foreign Conan issues, they are Dutch I think, and while I might buy some of them as a novelty, I doubt i will try and collect all the language translations.

That book looks like it would be cool to own though!

As for right now I am just going for the major publishers issues.

I have about everything except:

Essential Conan TPB

MGN Conan the Rogue

Conan the Savage (Mag) 3 8

Marvel Treasury Edition 4

Marvel Super Special 21

Conan (DH) 0A

Conan: Sons of Bel (DH mini comic) 1

Conan: Frazetta Cover Series (DH) 1 2 3

Conan: The Frost Giant's Daughter Signed Edition HC

I am also looking for the Wandering Star Sketchbooks 1 & 2

Hello,

I recently got back into collecting and have finally decided on a goal or goals:

I am starting collecting every DC Comic from 1980 forward. Hopefully this will also lead to going backwards from 1980 also.

In addition, working on getting all the DC moderns from current going backwards. The ultimate goal is to get the two collections connected at some point in the future.

I will focus on some areas more such as Batman, Superman, Justice League, etc.

Anyways, these goals should keep me busy the rest of my life.

Good to be in such great company! Lots of great info here.

This, if I may say so myself, is an awesome thread so far. Keep it up, folks! This is interesting reading (for me, anyway.)

Where's that "proud" smiley-graemlin?

lol

Oh, and WTTB, Swamptours! Are you out of FL, or maybe LA?

-slym

To owne every comic ever printed.

That's right, I'm gunning for all your collections....

You even want this one?

tapedtowall.jpg

It's yours! Now, just send me your PP addy so I can get that Ninjak Gold and I'll send this to you after!

lol

-slym

Lifetime goals include: Between me and my future wife, owning a full silver run of every single major marvel. Working on X-men 1-66 right now. She is working on Silver Surfer run and all his silver and bronze appearances. She just mentioned that Fantastic four is a run she wants to do. I keep telling her how crazy expensive that will be but it's a good lifetime goal. I would like to start Daredevil in 2011 maybe. Also have my eye on the Atlas run of Tales to Astonish..I think it's 1-33?

Also, I want to eventually start buying mid grade EC horror starting with Tales from the Crypt but that would be a run where I pick up 2-3 books a year and not be ravenous about it lol .

I do collect ASM keys when I can as starting that complete run is just way too intimidating for me right now lol . I consider myself an extremely serious collector but with a modest budget.

My absolute holy grail is a AF15. If I don't upgrade my 4.0 restored x-men #1 to a unrestored 5.0 I might keep my eye out for a 1.5 at the Boston con coming up. But blazing bob has a really nice graded 5.0 X-men #1 and if that's at the con with him, it might be too tempting lol

Lastly, I think this hobby is SO fun. Being that my girlfriend collects as well just makes it that much more fun.

I like these threads!