• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Signature Series Jan 2010 - Present Q & A Thread

490 posts in this topic

I am going to the Toronto Expo in August and I was hoping to get some books signed and cgced, the list of books I have that I want to get signed are The Invincible Iron Man #1, The Amazing Spiderman 298, 299, 300, Green Lantern #1 Black and White Sketch, Possibly Batman #1 Black and White Sketch. The question I have is if I ever want to get these comics signed by another artist at a different expo whats the deal with that, once they are in a case? And I think I read about somewhere where we can get in contact with cgc employes that are going to be at the Toronto expo to organize getting these books signed, just wondering what thread we would do that in, thanks.

I haven't been into the comic book scene for nearly a decade now and just recently started getting back into them. I have a strong desire for collecting great comics and recently stumbled upon the Lady Mechanika series. I fell in love with it and wanted to get my hands on nearly every available printed issue (including variants). I ended up purchasing a large number of autographed books (most double signed) via Sunny's Comics on ebay and the actual publisher, Aspen Comics via their website. It didn't occur to me until afterwards that they wouldn't qualify for the CGC SS label which really has me bummed out. The thing that really gets me is that I e-mailed the artist/owner of the title, Joe Benitez, just to make sure the comics I received from Sunny's Comics were legit. He responded almost immediately telling me that they are indeed legit and that both Sunny's Comics and Aspen Comics are very reputable sources which he signs comics for all the time. If I sent the sealed comics to CGC w/ my invoices proving that these comics were indeed purchased from these two sources, who Joe Benitez can vouch for, I don't understand why they couldn't grade these w/ the CGC SS label. I mean, isn't getting that kind of validation from the artist himself good enough? If not, do you think it is irresponsible of publishers and reputable comic book resellers to sell autographed copies of comics if they aren't CGC SS certified? I mean, if you think about it, they charge for more but leave the buyer in a really crappy position. If I knew what I know now, I wouldn't have bought these, and now I don't feel like I could sell them to someone else if I ever wanted to, because I wouldn't feel right selling something w/out the CGC SSS certification.

I am going to the Toronto Expo in August and I was hoping to get some books signed and cgced, the list of books I have that I want to get signed are The Invincible Iron Man #1, The Amazing Spiderman 298, 299, 300, Green Lantern #1 Black and White Sketch, Possibly Batman #1 Black and White Sketch. The question I have is if I ever want to get these comics signed by another artist at a different expo whats the deal with that, once they are in a case? And I think I read about somewhere where we can get in contact with cgc employes that are going to be at the Toronto expo to organize getting these books signed, just wondering what thread we would do that in, thanks.

Once the signed books have been graded & slabbed, they should only be cracked by a CGC employee or witness - if you crack them yourself, the signature will be invalidated.

I don't think CGC will have a booth at the Fan Expo in August so you'll have to go through a third-party facilitator - check the

SigSeries Event Announcements forum to see if anyone is taking submissions for that show.

First off, Welcome to the Boards :hi:

Second, not everyone cares about having an autograph certified and for some collectors the info you have would probably be sufficient for them. Heck, I have a few books signed that I've specifically requested not to have certified/slabbed because I still like to flip through them and getting the autograph/meeting the person was what I really cared about, not boosting the resale value of the book.

But since a lot of people use the CGC system to boost resale values and profit, CGC's strict policy on what earns a yellow label is what makes it worth the extra cost to most people. When you see that yellow label you know someone authorized by CGC saw it themselves. Loosening the standard for that would hurt the credibility of the label, and as a result the likely value boost books get from it.

I don't think it's irresponsible for other dealers and vendors to sell signed merchandise without CGC authentication since not everyone cares about that and CGC isn't the only game in town in authentication. They just happen to have a very good (strict) system that makes their certification more trustworthy than others.

Question: Are exclusive arrangements between one facilitator and a creator permitted? Can I sign up a creator to only allow CGC SS submissions through me? Is that approved by CGC?

If so, doesn't that seem to limit the market for other facilitators to participate in the SS program?

Question: Are exclusive arrangements between one facilitator and a creator permitted? Can I sign up a creator to only allow CGC SS submissions through me? Is that approved by CGC?

If so, doesn't that seem to limit the market for other facilitators to participate in the SS program?

:bump:

Didn't know if you saw this or not but I believe it has the answers you're looking for.

Link

As of this date there are two CGC facilitators announced for this show, DWC and Kevin Boyd. You should contact either one of them for the how to's.

Thank you for the response and I have made contact with Kevin.

Regards,

JC

Same question as JC but for the Montreal Comic Con, can we have a Contract Authorized Witnesses at the show?

And if not, since I go to this con each year, how can I become a Contract Authorized Witnesses?

Thanks!

Hi,

If I have a SS comic with the writer only and wanted to get it signed by the artist, besides having a CGC witness crack open the slab, would I be guaranteed the same grade? Or does the comic have to go through the whole process and in return could end up having a different grade?

Thanks!

Hi,

If I have a SS comic with the writer only and wanted to get it signed by the artist, besides having a CGC witness crack open the slab, would I be guaranteed the same grade? Or does the comic have to go through the whole process and in return could end up having a different grade?

Thanks!

It depends on the condition of the book.

If it looks like a 9.8,it should keep it's grade.

But if it doesn't,the grader may drop the grade.

It can also depend on how the witness cracks the CGC case.

Or how the artist you want to sign your book writes his sig on the cover.

Hi!

I just noticed a CGC SS book signed by Stan Lee with a special notation that it was signed by Stan on his 90th Birthday.

I was curious of how one would go about getting this notation on a SS book if it was signed by the talent on their birthday.

If I already own a SS book that happened to be signed on the talents birthday, can I send it back in for the extra notation? Say I have a CGC SS book signed by Todd Mcfarlane on 3/16/08, could I send it in and get a notation that it was signed on his 47th birthday?

Does it need to be a " special" birthday like only each decade I.E. 20th, 30th , 40th 50th birthday and so on?

Does the signer need to provide a birth certificate to the CGC witness, proving its their birthday, or will they go on the talents own merit?

These are serious and honest questions.

I would appreciate a serious and honest response