• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Signature Series Jan 2010 - Present Q & A Thread

490 posts in this topic

I do know that SS books need to go on a different invoice.

I would make a SS invoice and a Blue label invoice. :)

Stinks that you need to pay 2 invoice Fees for CGC but that is how their process works.

I would just fill out two invoices from the cgc website and fill out two invoices from the CCS website.

Perhaps you could ask if they could combine for return shipping, but good luck. :)

Thank you for the info! I have another question (maybe you or a CGC mod can help me0

I've filled out the hard-copy (4 times) SS CGC form for me to submit with my book for pressing and then re-subbing. In the spot for 'serial #' do I need to fill that out? I don't want the old grade to be known to the graders when they look at it after pressing but if they have the #, won't they already have a preconceived idea as to where it should fall?

I hope this makes sense...if not, I guess I can call CCS/CGC for more clarification...

I would include the serial # so that the census can be updated.

What you are saying makes sense. If you think that the graders may see the old grade and keep the old grade, here is a differnt P.O.V. What if the graders realize that the client may think this deserves a better grade if they are sending this in for pressing and re-grading?

That line of thinking is all unproven and totally speculative.

In reality though. The graders just look at the book and re-grade it to their current standards despite whatever we think they might be thinking. :)

So ask yourself does this have a shot at a bump? Would a press get it there?

If you think yes, go for it and submit the label. All that submitting the label does is help keep the census more accurate.

Thanks for the responses, all - I have no problem putting the cert # down - I was just worried it would influence the re-grade. I'm submitting it in the case to CCS so they'll see it there, anyway...

Wish me luck...I guess I'll find out in 6-8 weeks (fast-tracking both so that's my estimation on the back in my hands date, anyway).

:wishluck:

Is there a FAQ that explains exactly the process of getting things signed and then CGC certified so that the signature is witnessed? (So that you get a yellow label I mean.) Specifically, let's say I carry a stack of books up to, say, hot uber-artist joey shmoey at a comic con. Some of those books might already be in CGC holders. Is there a CGC guy standing right next to joey schmoey who witnesses the signature and then takes the books? How about cracking the books out of the cases - seems I can't do it myself since some of them might already have a yellow label and I don't want to void those, right? Do I have to arrange this in advance? Do I have to buy tickets for the CGC-ing in advance?

Re-holder question:

If the outside case of a slab is damaged, but the inner well is fully intact, can the book be submitted for a new holder and still maintain the yellow label?

Is there a FAQ that explains exactly the process of getting things signed and then CGC certified so that the signature is witnessed? (So that you get a yellow label I mean.) Specifically, let's say I carry a stack of books up to, say, hot uber-artist joey shmoey at a comic con. Some of those books might already be in CGC holders. Is there a CGC guy standing right next to joey schmoey who witnesses the signature and then takes the books? How about cracking the books out of the cases - seems I can't do it myself since some of them might already have a yellow label and I don't want to void those, right? Do I have to arrange this in advance? Do I have to buy tickets for the CGC-ing in advance?

Read through this thread - it'll answer all your questions.

Re-holder question:

If the outside case of a slab is damaged, but the inner well is fully intact, can the book be submitted for a new holder and still maintain the yellow label?

If the corner posts on the outer case are still intact (and the book doesn't look damaged), yeah, it would qualify for a reholder. If more than one corner post is cracked, it would be a regrade.

Re-holder question:

If the corner posts on the outer case are still intact (and the book doesn't look damaged), yeah, it would qualify for a reholder. If more than one corner post is cracked, it would be a regrade.

It would be a regrade, but will the label stay yellow or become green?

ok maybe I missed something.

My question is this I ran a comic shop and I bought this comic auto/numbered direct from Diamond in ATL. and was wondering if you would grade it as a Signature Series because it is still sealed and was bought in the early 90's maybe around or before the time CGC was getting started.

Here is a pic of the book the wrinkles are from the sleeve.

Thanks

malcomx_zps15d7d9cd.jpg

ok maybe I missed something.

My question is this I ran a comic shop and I bought this comic auto/numbered direct from Diamond in ATL. and was wondering if you would grade it as a Signature Series because it is still sealed and was bought in the early 90's maybe around or before the time CGC was getting started.

Here is a pic of the book the wrinkles are from the sleeve.

Thanks

malcomx_zps15d7d9cd.jpg

It does not qualify for SS because it was not signed in the presence of a witness and kept in their view until turned over to CGC. You could send it in and it would get a green Qualified label.

So if I have other books signed by the artist from a convetion in 1994 by Legends Conventions from Rome Ga with a COA these are not reconized either.

I think this is totaly unfair because these were autographed before CGC came into the picture and CGC should honor them because that was the only way back in the day to make sure you were getting the true auto.

Unless they (CGC) don't trust the show sponsor?

Maybe they should make another lable for autos with COA before 2000 and include the COA with the book.

The other books from 1994, as well as any other books that are not witnessed by a CAW, would get a Qualified green label, or you could have them done as blue Universal but they would take a huge grade hit.

Really this is the only way that the system can be persevered, most of us have gotten signatures in the past before SS existed and of course there are some people that forged signatures and sold them even though the majority have not. By limiting SS to only creators that their CAWs have been there to witness, CGC has created a quality control that is unrivaled. I would imagine many would not be into the label if you could use certificates of authenticity from third parties, I know I would not invest in it.

The cgc signature series indicates (yellow slab) that a witness authorized by CGC has witnessed the signature taking place. That's what it is, that's what it does. They're not excluding anyone or anything, they're just performing their function.

If the market ends up valuing things differently as a result of the existence of the CGC SS, that's up to the market. Changing times and services directly and indirectly affect the demands and values of older items and services all the time. Doesn't make things unfair. Doesn't mean people aren't negatively impacted, like a factory worker replaced by machinery, but it doesn't mean its unfair.

So the books I have are junk even with a coa or if I sent these in before 2010 I would have gotten a sig.series grade? I don't see it I am sure you can still get autographed books from Diamond and they in 1994 were charging more money for these if you were to get them now you are wasting your money because CGC will not honor the auto EVEN from Diamond the largest distibuter of comics.

WOW is all I can say.

So does the blue Universal drop it any grade?