• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

Zach Snyder is no Christopher Nolan.

AF 15 doesn't need big box office (or even a good movie) to fuel its sales.

The hulk doesn't need any solo movie at all to fuel sales.

Even if the JLA movie is a mind blowing success, and the new flash show runs for years on the CW, SC 4 will still not surpass AF 15 or hulk 1.

Most middle aged women know who wonder woman is because of Lynda Carter. (thumbs u

-J.

+1 (thumbs u

I did like the Watchmen and 300 a lot though. :P

Edited by jaja-mon12

Zach Snyder is no Christopher Nolan.

AF 15 doesn't need big box office (or even a good movie) to fuel its sales.

The hulk doesn't need any solo movie at all to fuel sales.

Even if the JLA movie is a mind blowing success, and the new flash show runs for years on the CW, SC 4 will still not surpass AF 15 or hulk 1.

Most middle aged women know who wonder woman is because of Lynda Carter. (thumbs u

-J.

My wife is actually only 32... :) but she doesn't know Lynda Carter. DC appeals more to women as DC actually pays attention to its female audience. The JLA has more diversity to different people. Avengers got the complaint that it does not.

Have you ever heard of a famous makeup company called MAC for women? They promote their make up products by using Wonder Woman. Look it up! It isn't just old girls. There's a lot of merchandise that's aimed at younger women by using Wonder Woman.

I put a quick link here

https://www.maccosmetics.com/whats_new/4782/index.tmpl

The idea of buying everything resonates with me too lol.

Jason - you're always a tough debater and I can appreciate that. My points are being made with pure math. Note that I am agreeing with you on the market dynamics and still come to a different conclusion

- spider-man is more popular in a pop culture sense than hulk or flash

- hulk is more popular than flash too

- will that change? I doubt it

- census numbers show sc4 to be several times rarer than either AF15 or hulk 1 - but this is only part of the story

- there are probably 2-3 raw copies (if not more) of af15 for every slabbed. Probably a higher ratio for hulk.

- there are raw sc4s out there too, but a lot happened in the 5 years between sc4 and af15 - many more people actually held their books. Sc4 was printed during someone of a comic market drought

- this means that were probably talking a total universe of 10 copies of hulk 1 per sc4. Maybe 20 af15

And so........the collector/investor community only needs to be 5-10% the size to create equal demand. I think there is some reliance on TV/Movie success too, but there is definitely non-zero probability that sc4 overtakes from a price perspective........or comes close.

None of us have a crystal ball.....but it will be fun to watch, whatever happens (and mostly likely, all three books are headed north in value)

PS, jaja I forgive you for calling me Roy. I wish I had his hair :)

Cheers

Joey

Jason - you're always a tough debater and I can appreciate that. My points are being made with pure math. Note that I am agreeing with you on the market dynamics and still come to a different conclusion

- census numbers show sc4 to be several times rarer than either AF15 or hulk 1 - but this is only part of the story

- there are probably 2-3 raw copies (if not more) of af15 for every slabbed. Probably a higher ratio for hulk.

- there are raw sc4s out there too, but a lot happened in the 5 years between sc4 and af15 - many more people actually held their books. Sc4 was printed during someone of a comic market drought

- this means that were probably talking a total universe of 10 copies of hulk 1 per sc4. Maybe 20 af15

And so........the collector/investor community only needs to be 5-10% the size to create equal demand. I think there is some reliance on TV/Movie success too, but there is definitely non-zero probability that sc4 overtakes from a price perspective........or comes close.

None of us have a crystal ball.....but it will be fun to watch, whatever happens (and mostly likely, all three books are headed north in value)

Cheers

Joey

I agree too that all 3 books will continue to rise! (thumbs u Roy has hair? hm:P

Cheers

Joey

This outcome is certainly plausible. In your opinion, what do you think has caused AF 15, and now hulk to leap frog, the SC4, even with the relative numbers of the books ? Do you attribute it solely to the movies, including the not so great ones ? Do you believe that there can ever be enough AF 15s to satisfy a global demand, when this book has become the "action 1" of the SA? I would suggest that is due to the MASSIVE popularity of Spiderman, and nothing else. SC4 is important as a comic book for other reasons, that have nothing to do with the Flash per se. The book is certainly rarer and will have value surges from time to time. However I don't see it having the steady and relentless climb like AF 15. Collectors of a wide age and income group aspire to own an AF 15. It's is truly transcendent. The greatest comic book creation since batman. The Flash is great too, but is just not on the same level. True, it would only take a fraction of the demand for it to perhaps keep pace with AF 15. But for whatever reason that isn't happening. And now he's lost ground to even the hulk. I agree it may not take much to tweak the dynamics. But at this point I believe it would take a massive seismic shift for SC 4 to ever be in at least the AF 15 ballpark again. I think its relative rarity may actually work against it as well in some respects.

-J.

Well like I always say, If you are unsure what to buy, just buy everything. At least your bases are covered.

That's true, but now I have to get the coinage and find the right copy. (shrug):cry:

This is why I bought lower to mid copies :) I wouldn't be able to spend that kind of money on higher grades for all three.

It would be interesting to hear the pulse of NYCC - on the big 3 SC4, IH1 and AF15.

True that (thumbs u

I bought a SC #4 at NYCC a few years back (maybe 5), it was hard to find dealers that had raw copies for sale.

I had to really hunt around a lot :P

Well like I always say, If you are unsure what to buy, just buy everything. At least your bases are covered.

That's true, but now I have to get the coinage and find the right copy. (shrug):cry:

This is why I bought lower to mid copies :) I wouldn't be able to spend that kind of money on higher grades for all three.

Yeah that's very understandable my friend, but my cutoff for SA books is a minimum of 8.0. I will keep stacking my bread until I can buy/obtain the 'right SC #4 copy'. (thumbs u I have my sights on one, but it I will need outside intervention to probably obtain it when I'm ready. hm

I also want to upgrade my IH #1 or sell/trade+cash it for an AF #15 CGC 8.0 copy. :wish luck: To be continued! lol

It would be interesting to hear the pulse of NYCC - on the big 3 SC4, IH1 and AF15.
I will be waiting to price my copies ...I have multiples of all 3, but want to scope the room out before I set a retail... hm

I will be waiting to price my copies ...I have multiples of all 3, but want to scope the room out before I set a retail... hm

What booth number you at bud? Might pay you a visit tomorrow.

Did you get your cane all sorted out don't need grandpa Rick falling over.

See you tomorrow!

Yeah that's very understandable my friend, but my cutoff for SA books is a minimum of 8.0. I will keep stacking my bread until I can buy/obtain the 'right SC #4 copy'. (thumbs u I have my sights on one, but it I will need outside intervention to probably obtain it when I'm ready. hm

I also want to upgrade my IH #1 or sell/trade+cash it for an AF #15 CGC 8.0 copy. :wish luck: To be continued! lol

Sounds good buddy (thumbs u Nothing wrong with collecting high grade copies of these key books. Heck if I had more disposable income, I would probably buy these books in mid-high grade. Everyone has their budget in spending, but I am fortunate to own all 3 in the meantime. I wish you the best in obtaining a copy you desire and I hope it works well with you in the future (thumbs u

Sounds good buddy (thumbs u Nothing wrong with collecting high grade copies of these key books. Heck if I had more disposable income, I would probably buy these books in mid-high grade. Everyone has their budget in spending, but I am fortunate to own all 3 in the meantime. I wish you the best in obtaining a copy you desire and I hope it works well with you in the future (thumbs u

True dat DK and thanks buddy! (thumbs u Congrats on having all 3 books also! :applause:

I'm just finicky like that. lol If a certain book I want is not a particular grade or meets my criteria, I will do without until I can afford the right copy. ;)

Edited by jaja-mon12