• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

Thanks Boba and Roulette! :whee:

No worries man.

On the cgc 8.5, I'd be setting the over/under higher than $55-65. But I guess we'll see. This might be a nice copy to get into before the coming explosions truly materialize.

How has that new TV show done in the ratings, anyone know?

Cheers

Joey

Cream will hurt it a little. The Pedigree will bump it. You don't see 8.5s around too often and prices for keys have been a little nuts since June. I know of only one other one in 8.5 and now this one. I would be surprised if it broke 70k if you get two bidders that "have to have it". I think we'll see it in the mid 60's at least, but I'm still betting on low 70s.

The PQ thing really needs to be addressed at CGC :/ I just got a book that was OW back CR/OW - so who really believes what the label says - and is it really gonna hurt a gorgeous book like this? I think that us DCers have come to accept the CR/OW as something that isn't that big a deal. At least not so critical that it'd hurt such a gorgeous book.

But I suppose if it had white pages, we'd all be gushing over that - including me, :blush:

"White" and "Brittle" are the only two "PQ" designations that are really capable of being consistently quantified. Everything in between is a shot in the dark and can (and often does) flip flop around even on the same book, as Boba notes. That's likely why there is no consistent difference in prices realized in books based solely on "PQ". And even then, depending on how big the key, even "brittle" pages may not matter. I have also seen books with "white" pages go for less than books with "cream" pages. Like with everything else supply and demand will always be the real deciding factor in the market place in the end. Marvel chipping, on the other hand, is another matter. Those almost always seem to sell at somewhat of a discount.

-J.

Marvel chipping, on the other hand, is another matter. Those almost always seem to sell at somewhat of a discount.

-J.

Except when the Marvel chipping pertains to certain mega keys. hm

:gossip: Jay must've forgot the recent IH #1 CGC 9.0 that sold for 175K! (worship):P

Edited by jaja-mon12

Marvel chipping, on the other hand, is another matter. Those almost always seem to sell at somewhat of a discount.

-J.

:gossip: Jay mustve forgot the recent IH #1 CGC 9.0 that sold for 175K! (worship):P

lol I didn't forget. The bigger the key the harder it is to find, the less other "cosmetic" issues seem to matter. That's what I mean when I say the supply and demand within the market will naturally always have the final say. (thumbs u

-J.

Speaking of supply and demand - combative numbers SC 4 vs HULK 1

SHOWCASE 4: UNIVERSAL: 211 QUAL: 3 SS: 2 RESTORED: 92 TOTAL GRADED: 308

HULK 1 UNIVERSAL: 725 QUAL: 16 SS: 72 RESTORED: 276 TOTAL GRADED: 1089

Raemarkable difference. However does this indicate scarcity?

-J.

:gossip: Jay must've forgot the recent IH #1 CGC 9.0 that sold for 175K! (worship):P

lol I didn't forget. The bigger the key the harder it is to find, the less other "cosmetic" issues seem to matter. That's what I mean when I say the supply and demand within the market will naturally always have the final say. (thumbs u

-J.

Cool Beans! (thumbs u I'm glad that you clarified things buddy! lol;)

This is very telling--but how many DC collections might be coming out of closets with rising prices given JLA/DC film universe....

It definitely does indicate scarcity/rarity to me, but those numbers may be irrelevant to most collectors. hm

Some things that can be factors on what collectors/buyers consider:

1. Demand - IH #1 is definitely in more demand than SC #4, but not by too much. Both the Hulk & the Flash are well known characters, but I believe the Hulk has more iconic status. Both books are very hard to find regardless, especially high grade copies.

2. Investment Potential - IH #1 has shown it's FMV potential with the high dollar recent sales. Showcase #4 FMV will increase as well, but I don't think it will surpass IH #1 value status. It would definitely make things interesting if more of both books in high grade come to market. hm

3. True 1st Appearance/Origin - While IH #1 is the 1st appearance/origin of the Incredible Hulk, SC #4 is not he 1st appearance/origin of the Flash or the first speedster in comics. Though SC #4 is the book many feel spearheaded the SA including myself, this was one of the main reasons that helped me decide between my purchase of an IH #1 CGC 8.0 and a SC #4 CGC 8.0.

4. Perception - Many collectors seem to gravitate more towards high grade Marvel keys than their DC/WB counterparts. I think this has to do with the recent success of Marvel live action movies and their willingness to promote an amalgam of their heroes, while DC/WB only really focuses on Batman & Superman for the better part of 30+ years. Thank goodness this is going to change. (thumbs u

5. Collection - How much do I want to add either of these books to my collection and in what grade? My grade cutoff for SA books is 8.0, unless the book is too hard to find then I will settle for what I can get. :facepalm: I love the Hulk more than I do the Flash, but still want to add a nice high grade SC #4 to my collection. :wishluck: I have my sights on one copy in particular, but just need to save more coinage, so stay tuned! :headbang:

This is just a few things I look at when referring/comparing to these two mega key SA books. 2c

No worries man.

On the cgc 8.5, I'd be setting the over/under higher than $55-65. But I guess we'll see. This might be a nice copy to get into before the coming explosions truly materialize.

Cheers

Joey

Cream will hurt it a little. The Pedigree will bump it. You don't see 8.5s around too often and prices for keys have been a little nuts since June. I know of only one other one in 8.5 and now this one. I would be surprised if it broke 70k if you get two bidders that "have to have it". I think we'll see it in the mid 60's at least, but I'm still betting on low 70s.

The PQ thing really needs to be addressed at CGC :/ I just got a book that was OW back CR/OW - so who really believes what the label says - and is it really gonna hurt a gorgeous book like this? I think that us DCers have come to accept the CR/OW as something that isn't that big a deal. At least not so critical that it'd hurt such a gorgeous book.

But I suppose if it had white pages, we'd all be gushing over that - including me, :blush:

Mohawk's generally don't sell well because of the PQ and tanning issues that most of the books from the collection have.

Cream will hurt it a little. The Pedigree will bump it.

I think that us DCers have come to accept the CR/OW as something that isn't that big a deal. At least not so critical that it'd hurt such a gorgeous book.

In this case,I don't think the pedigree will help much, if at all. I've owned some raw Mohawk Valleys and the insides are very toasty. I remember the PQ as not so much cream but a terrible looking yellow.

CR/OW is still an instant pass for me, rare or not. Sorry.

I think that us DCers have come to accept the CR/OW as something that isn't that big a deal. At least not so critical that it'd hurt such a gorgeous book.

In this case,I don't think the pedigree will help much, if at all. I've owned some raw Mohawk Valleys and the insides are very toasty. I remember the PQ as not so much cream but a terrible looking yellow.

Why apologize? I will never complain about having one less bidder to compete against on a big book like this. lol (thumbs u Unfortunately I don't think it will make much of a difference in the end....

-J.

Why apologize? I will never complain about having one less bidder to compete against on a big book like this. lol (thumbs u Unfortunately I don't think it will make much of a difference in the end....

-J.

I have about 8 Mohawks, I think 5 are OW/W and 3 CR/OW, and all crisp and beautiful, and not at all a terrible looking yellow. (shrug) Luck of the draw I suppose. But I hear the owner of this book pressed flowers in between the pages, so best stay away everyone :devil:

No worries man.

Cheers

Joey

If CGC is so inconsistent with the PQ.... Well.... I don't understand WHY

It's a simple as having a ruler type graduated grey scale stick and matching the color of the comic to your gauge. How hard is that? This is like having a 5 year old point out red, blue, and green on a wall.

Another method would be 0-255 where 0 is black and 255 is white. Point a little meter at the paper and boom! You get a number. Let's say your number is 235. That would be a PQ of (1-100) 92 (I think, I'm doing this in my head). 92 would be ow/w (?).

At least there would be some type of standard consistency. What do I know. This is the only company where the customer is always wrong. :)

It's a simple as having a ruler type graduated grey scale stick and matching the color of the comic to your gauge. How hard is that? This is like having a 5 year old point out red, blue, and green on a wall.

Another method would be 0-255 where 0 is black and 255 is white. Point a little meter at the paper and boom! You get a number. Let's say your number is 235. That would be a PQ of (1-100) 92 (I think, I'm doing this in my head). 92 would be ow/w (?).

At least there would be some type of standard consistency. What do I know. This is the only company where the customer is always wrong. :)

It's been previously discussed on the Boards that CGC considers more than just the color of the paper when assigning the PQ. Suppleness, texture, etc. (shrug)

It's been previously discussed on the Boards that CGC considers more than just the color of the paper when assigning the PQ. Suppleness, texture, etc. (shrug)

That's the storyline anyway. Even though "slightly brittle" and "brittle" are the only two "PQ" designations that actually do refer to "page quality" and not literally "page colour". (Which probably has something to do with the seeming randomness and inconsistency of it.) I'm just not so sure there even is a way to be consistent with something like that from one grader to the next, one day to the next, one book to the next. Short of "slightly brittle/brittle", I frankly take it with a grain of salt.

-J.

I really don't think there is a difference between cr/offwhite vs. offwhite and offwhite/white vs. white. I've had these PQ's interchangeably on the same book. There is no way paper can downgrade that fast by only a couple months or so.

:shrug:

I have had books go up and down in PQ before by both full or half designations - this is fairly common. I think it just boils down to the subjectivity of grading, particularly on PQ. Without a spectrophotometer, it really is at best like matching paint swatches at True Value...

Theres so much Hulk love i wanted to bring this thread up top again :cloud9:

DSC01155_zpsb1ef341b.jpg

but i also love hulk too!

DSC01156_zps7c2fa831.jpg

Would you be willing to have any realistic prices on any of your books on eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-4-CGC-3-0-CR-OW-MUST-SEE-1st-Appearance-Flash-/261585387175?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3ce7b43ea7

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Theres so much Hulk love i wanted to bring this thread up top again :cloud9:

DSC01155_zpsb1ef341b.jpg

but i also love hulk too!

DSC01156_zps7c2fa831.jpg

Would you be willing to have any realistic prices on any of your books on eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-4-CGC-3-0-CR-OW-MUST-SEE-1st-Appearance-Flash-/261585387175?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3ce7b43ea7

Define "realistic", because on keys, that word seems to have gone out the window.