• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kansas City cgc 8.0 Action 1

820 posts in this topic

I don't know. $3,500 still seems high for an Action 7 that is coverless and missing the Superman story. (shrug)

Say you had a 6.0 copy of Action #7 that was missing its centerfold. How do you think it would compare in value to a 6.0 that was complete? You could take it further, what if your copy was missing the middle two wraps, or three?

I

I don't know. $3,500 still seems high for an Action 7 that is coverless and missing the Superman story. (shrug)

I thought so too but Jeff may have a point in that hes Banking on the marrying centerfold aspect of it.[if you need a centerfold]. Its a good point and it is also alot.

Say you had a 6.0 copy of Action #7 that was missing its centerfold. How do you think it would compare in value to a 6.0 that was complete? You could take it further, what if your copy was missing the middle two wraps, or three?

I understand your reasoning and obviously the purchase of this book would only be justified if you had an Action #7 that was missing the centerfold, additional wraps, etc. I just think that the market IMO for pieces of books seems to have gotten out of hand. I could not believe that nothing but a ragged cover to Marvel Mystery #9 went for approximately $2,700 on ebay last week. Same thing for the 2/3 front cover for Action #1 for over $8K a while back. I guess I don't get it, but if people want to spend that kind of money on parts, more power to them. (shrug)

I understand your reasoning and obviously the purchase of this book would only be justified if you had an Action #7 that was missing the centerfold, additional wraps, etc. I just think that the market IMO for pieces of books seems to have gotten out of hand. I could not believe that nothing but a ragged cover to Marvel Mystery #9 went for approximately $2,700 on ebay last week. Same thing for the 2/3 front cover for Action #1 for over $8K a while back. I guess I don't get it, but if people want to spend that kind of money on parts, more power to them. (shrug)

What would you expect a complete but ragged Marvel Mystery #9 to go for?

How about an Action #7?

You could have bought a ragged Action #7 for about $7-8K about 1.5 years ago from Metro.

Good luck finding one today at that price.

Sum of their parts...right?

(shrug)

I remember when Clink had those 3 Action #1 "wraps" that were CGC certified in one of their auctions a few years back, and alot of people were saying that it was ridiculous to spend good money on just "parts" to a book, but when you can't even touch a looooow grade copy for under what? $75k now. collectors are willing to take any piece of history they can afford. looking back, I wish I had bid on one of those 3 wraps instead of listening to the "nay sayers". I wonder what those wraps would fetch now.

I think when you start separating comics into pieces it gets interesting.

IMO covers/interiors are generally worth at least 50% (each) of the whole (FMV for a complete married or slightly restored copy)

Take that 50% interior and remove an outer wrap or a centerfold and you might have another 50% (25% of the whole).

It's just supply and demand.

On it's own a $2600 cover sounds like a lot.

When you look at the big picture it's not so much if a complete book is worth $6-7K.

So someone needs the first wrap or a centerfold to an Action #1 which is probably a $40-50K book missing one wrap, what is that missing wrap worth now?

Didn't a coverless Action #1 sell for $20K a few years ago? What's that worth now? $40K+?

It's all relative.

Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen.

One record this week (and by a factor of over 3 times the previous) is enough.

I have a hard time believing the sale was not pre-arranged.

That might be the case but that doesn't really mean anything.

They brought the book and the cash to the table and that is enough for me.

Of course it was pre-arranged. Metro is not going to leave money on the table. They either solicited closed bids or shopped for interest at a higher price. It was offered on CC only for show.

You figured that all out ha.

They don't call me captain obvious for nothing.

I think it was a brilliant show of one-up-manship. Metro held a clinic on "stealing someone else's thunder" during what should've been Heritage's biggest comic-related news item ever.

Steve wanted to be the first to sell a comic for $1 million. Nothing wrong with that. And the sale may end up bringing more money to Heritage for the 27

IMO covers/interiors are generally worth at least 50% (each) of the whole (FMV for a complete married or slightly restored copy)

Take that 50% interior and remove an outer wrap or a centerfold and you might have another 50% (25% of the whole).

When you look at the big picture it's not so much if a complete book is worth $6-7K.

So someone needs the first wrap or a centerfold to an Action #1 which is probably a $40-50K book missing one wrap, what is that missing wrap worth now?

Didn't a coverless Action #1 sell for $20K a few years ago? What's that worth now? $40K+?

It's all relative.

I'm glad you agree 'cause I just paid a bundle for the 3rd wrap to Suspense 3

It's all relative.

I'm glad you agree 'cause I just paid a bundle for the 3rd wrap to Suspense 3

lol

That is the exception. Much like an All Select #1.

That would be more than 50% just for the cover.

How about an Action #7?

You could have bought a ragged Action #7 for about $7-8K about 1.5 years ago from Metro.

(shrug)

Considering just how ragged the cover was to the Marvel Mystery #9 even if you had a complete copy to marry it to and did no other restoration work, I don't think you would be looking at much better than a 1.0-1.5 RESTORED. Even considering how hot that book has been I don't think you would necessarily be able to get much for than 5K at best in that condition. Obviously an unrestored ragged Marvel Mystery #9 you would be able to get much more. (shrug)

sold in the mid 6K range (thumbs u

sold in the mid 6K range (thumbs u

Well 6K is better than 8K. I feel better now. lol

It's all relative.

I clearly remember a Superman 1 cover sold for 120 pounds on ebay.uk a couple of years ago. A fake maybe? I was watching the auction, thinking I should maybe resell it to some restoration expert in the future. doh!

How about an Action #7?

(shrug)

Considering just how ragged the cover was to the Marvel Mystery #9 even if you had a complete copy to marry it to and did no other restoration work, I don't think you would be looking at much better than a 1.0-1.5 RESTORED. Even considering how hot that book has been I don't think you would necessarily be able to get much for than 5K at best in that condition. Obviously an unrestored ragged Marvel Mystery #9 you would be able to get much more. (shrug)

There was not only the cover on ebay recently but also two coverless copies (I know because I sold one of them), and I am sure that the cover married to one of those would make a pretty presentable book. And I would bet the cover buyer bought one of the coverless books or already had one. To me it wold be a waste not to conjoin the two. And I would not be surprised if that book taped up to a matching interior could pass as an unrestored 2.5-3.0 It would be better to have those tears archivally sealed if it could be called an acceptable married book with removable seals and still be considered original and desireable. But because the outsized reaction to it being a 1.0-1.5 purple label book the buyer is actually incentivized to damage the book further by putting scotch tape on it because that's accepted.