• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kansas City cgc 8.0 Action 1

820 posts in this topic

I get it. Sales = relevance.

I see that Siege was the #1 comic in December, and Green Lantern was #2. Does that make them more relevant than Superman or Batman? In the same month, there were 16 graphic novels that sold better than Superman and Batman. Are they all therefore more relevant?

Batman sells a lot of movie tickets, while Smallville has been on the air for 9 seasons. All-Star Batman & Robin sells great. So did All-Star Superman.

I don't think in terms of sales. I think in terms of how ingrained a character is in the popular culture, and from my eyes, Superman still wins out.

OK, if you really want to make this argument...

First of all, I'm looking at the past 25 years as a whole, not picking out individual months. It's simple: Batman drives DC.

Ingrained in popular culture? The Dark Knight trounces both Smallville and Superman Returns combined. It was one of the biggest media events of the decade.

As the clock ticks, Superman loses his hold on popular culture. Why? The world has changed, and Batman / Bruce Wayne is more attractive to both creators and consumers, and it's been that way for quite some time.

I just don't agree that it's all about dollars. It's when aspects of a character and the world he inhabits take hold in popular culture. When references are made in fiction, nonfiction, TV, movies, and in social interactions. I just don't see Batman, Alfred, and Gotham City coming up as often as Superman, Clark Kent, Krypton, The Daily Planet, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, etc.

So true....a sale of this nature should never be construed as an indicator of grassroots popularity. It's simply a matter of what the 2 guys with a million to spend prefer...and it's very possible that status quo is NOT the sole determining factor, although it may have provided some justification. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

What's exciting to me about the sale of the Kansas City Action #1 is the affirmation that Superman is still king. I was buying Actions and Supes off the spinner rack before I could even read, and today those two titles remain the focus of my collecting. I know some people think he's boring, milk-toast, yada yada yada. To me, he's an indestructible being from another planet, an adopted Earthling, who reminds us what being human, or humane, is all about. I know my life has been enriched by Superman's presence on Earth, even if it's only in funny books and on the silver screen. :)

Batman's still king.... there are just fewer Action 1s than Tec 27s.

Grade for grade, unrestored Tec 27s seem to be rarer than Action 1s.

I would conditionally disagree...

for , say fn- and above, there are 6 action 1's unrestored that are cgc'd (and we know there is a 7th, the mile high copy)... there are 9 tec 27's (and we know there is the mile high and the allentown out there, and then there is Todd D's copy)...more than 50% more...

so in mid to high grade, action 1 is, on the surface, clearly rarer of the "known" suspects....

over all, there are 22 unrestored tec 27's on the census, and 25 action 1's , but 2 of the low grade action 1's on the census have been restored, and I know of 2 collectors that have nice low grade raw 27's...so, that is pretty much "even" in my book

:foryou:

What's exciting to me about the sale of the Kansas City Action #1 is the affirmation that Superman is still king. I was buying Actions and Supes off the spinner rack before I could even read, and today those two titles remain the focus of my collecting. I know some people think he's boring, milk-toast, yada yada yada. To me, he's an indestructible being from another planet, an adopted Earthling, who reminds us what being human, or humane, is all about. I know my life has been enriched by Superman's presence on Earth, even if it's only in funny books and on the silver screen. :)

for , say fn- and above, there are 6 action 1's unrestored that are cgc'd (and we know there is a 7th, the mile high copy)... there are 9 tec 27's (and we know there is the mile high and the allentown out there, and then there is Todd D's copy)...more than 50% more...

so in mid to high grade, action 1 is, on the surface, clearly rarer of the "known" suspects....

over all, there are 22 unrestored tec 27's on the census, and 25 action 1's , but 2 of the low grade action 1's on the census have been restored, and I know of 2 collectors that have nice low grade raw 27's...so, that is pretty much "even" in my book

I've never done that kind of detailed analysis, just going on my impression after seeing what comes up for auction lo these many years, so "seem" was my operative word.

However, you've convinced me! (worship)

I've never done that kind of detailed analysis, just going on my impression after seeing what comes up for auction lo these many years, so "seem" was my operative word.

many times perception is just as important as reality (thumbs u

You're an easy sell! There are more copies of Action 1 out there as well as Detective 27 so "to prove" the point there would need to be a bigger inventory, though what I've heard is that there are more mid-high grade Tec 27s than Action 1s.

You're an easy sell! There are more copies of Action 1 out there as well as Detective 27 so "to prove" the point there would need to be a bigger inventory, though what I've heard is that there are more mid-high grade Tec 27s than Action 1s.
indeed...when I hear "estimates" of 100 or less, I scratch my head... my "guesstimate" is that based on the cgc sampling, and based on remembering former cbg ads and such (remember a dozen action 1's in one picture one time that danny d had), that there are probably hundreds of each out there in collections... now, when or if we will see them come to market, that is a different story...

however, given that tec 27 is the "27th" book of the title, my guess is there are more surviving copies (and definitely more in higher grade) than action 1... but, that is just my "guess"

I've said this before and if it's ok I'll repeat what I believe again:

Early keys from the 1930's and 40's have begun the transition from hobby collectible to artifact. Nobody is going to crack that Action #1 and read it. It's become a museum piece.

For that reason, immediate cultural relevance takes second place, IMO, to all time cultural significance.

Sure my Grandmother knew who both Superman and Batman were, but the fact is that Supes came first and was responsible for the shift in sales. He is character that opened the door to every superhero we have today. Whether Batman would have had the same impact had he come around is debatable.

What is not debatable is that heroes with great stories, primary color costumes (I believe this is a very important one) and reader appeal are always going to sell and Supes was the first to do that.

If anything Batman was a foil to Supes. The anti Superman, and one would have not been as relevant without the other. Fire and Water (Timely anybody?)...but Supes did still come first.

Early keys from the 1930's and 40's have begun the transition from hobby collectible to artifact. Nobody is going to crack that Action #1 and read it. It's become a museum piece.

For that reason, immediate cultural relevance takes second place, IMO, to all time cultural significance.

Sure my Grandmother knew who both Superman and Batman were, but the fact is that Supes came first and was responsible for the shift in sales. He is character that opened the door to every superhero we have today. Whether Batman would have had the same impact had he come around is debatable.

What is not debatable is that heroes with great stories, primary color costumes (I believe this is a very important one) and reader appeal are always going to sell and Supes was the first to do that.

If anything Batman was a foil to Supes. The anti Superman, and one would have not been as relevant without the other. Fire and Water (Timely anybody?)...but Supes did still come first.

:golfclap: good stuff

good stuff Roy! :applause: and I will add about the primary color costume thing, it was huge early on in the beginning of comics, because the costumes gave instant recognizability to that character in the story, meaning that with some early art being crude and hastened, that it was sometimes hard to tell who was who in the story, that's why a lot of times they had, "hero in costume", bad henchmen with hair, bad henchmen without hair, and woman to create some visual difference between the characters. lol

I get it. Sales = relevance.

I see that Siege was the #1 comic in December, and Green Lantern was #2. Does that make them more relevant than Superman or Batman? In the same month, there were 16 graphic novels that sold better than Superman and Batman. Are they all therefore more relevant?

Batman sells a lot of movie tickets, while Smallville has been on the air for 9 seasons. All-Star Batman & Robin sells great. So did All-Star Superman.

I don't think in terms of sales. I think in terms of how ingrained a character is in the popular culture, and from my eyes, Superman still wins out.

OK, if you really want to make this argument...

First of all, I'm looking at the past 25 years as a whole, not picking out individual months. It's simple: Batman drives DC.

Ingrained in popular culture? The Dark Knight trounces both Smallville and Superman Returns combined. It was one of the biggest media events of the decade.

As the clock ticks, Superman loses his hold on popular culture. Why? The world has changed, and Batman / Bruce Wayne is more attractive to both creators and consumers, and it's been that way for quite some time.

I just don't agree that it's all about dollars. It's when aspects of a character and the world he inhabits take hold in popular culture. When references are made in fiction, nonfiction, TV, movies, and in social interactions. I just don't see Batman, Alfred, and Gotham City coming up as often as Superman, Clark Kent, Krypton, The Daily Planet, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, etc.

I would agree that it isn't all about dollars. That said, I have 2 young children. Coincidentally, all of our friends have young children. We live in a no outlet cul-de-sac'd area where probably 70% of the homes have pre-teen kids. I can't tell you the last time I saw a kid, any kid, sporting Superman anything. But I see plenty of Spider Man and Batman. I don't know how many kids we get for Halloween but we never get a Superman. We get kids dressed up like Bats and Spidey though all the time.

FWIW.

just to add here: I think people can relate to Batman and his problems more than they can Mr. Perfect. I think Bats is more relevant today and has been for many, many years now.

I think Supes has been losing his hold and is ingrained in the older crowd mainly. I'm sorry but my kids (who are only 7 & 5) already think that I'm lame and i'm only 33. I don't think i'm exactly setting the trends anymore. Batman rules the day as far as who is at the wheel of popular culture today.

just to add here: I think people can relate to Batman and his problems more than they can Mr. Perfect. I think Bats is more relevant today and has been for many, many years now.

I won't disagree with you.

I was watching a movie recently with Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler. It was an ok movie (not great) but what I realized part way through the movie, is that the "cool" stereotype has become normal. You used to have your cool guy and your not so cool guy. That's changed.

Meaning, there is no such thing as a mild mannered, good natured, humble hero any more.

Both lead actors have ripped builds and lots of attitude. Almost too cool for their own shoes.

Even the geeks in the geek movies are "cool". They get the girl, or whatever.

That's probably why Batman is popular. He's so friggin' cool. He's calm, calculating, dark and mysterious, millionaire womanizer by day, fantastic creature hero by night. Lots of bling too.

Superman is just boring by today's standards. That ship has sailed for at least a while.

I still don't think that's enough to dethrone Action #1 though.

It will be interesting to view the public's reaction to the next film, which will reportedly be darker, with involvement by Christopher Nolan.

Superman/Clark Kent are only as boring as the writers make him. The sole survivor of a doomed planet who may or may not fit in on Earth can be a complex, interesting character.

It will be interesting to view the public's reaction to the next film, which will reportedly be darker, with involvement by Christopher Nolan.

Superman/Clark Kent are only as boring as the writers make him. The sole survivor of a doomed planet who may or may not fit in on Earth can be a complex, interesting character.

I'd love to see it as a period piece...he came to earth in the early 20s, helped fight the Axis in WW2, and survives to the modern day largely unchanged as the people in his life grow old and die. Lots of potential there...

I was watching a movie recently with Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler. It was an ok movie (not great) but what I realized part way through the movie, is that the "cool" stereotype has become normal. You used to have your cool guy and your not so cool guy. That's changed.

You can hardly extrapolate a trend from "Law Abiding Citizen", which was a movie meant to twist traditional roles so that the villain was also sympathetic and a hero and the hero was also dislikable and a jerk.

You can hardly extrapolate a trend from "Law Abiding Citizen", which was a movie meant to twist traditional roles so that the villain was also sympathetic and a hero and the hero was also dislikable and a jerk.

I just did.

:makepoint:

It's not just that movie, it's a general trend that I seem to see that continues to reinforce the social importance of "cool".

I also wouldn't attribute the success of The Dark Knight on Batman being so darn cool. That movie and its success was all about The Joker.

I was commenting on the appeal of Batman as a character.

Clark Kent is a (almost) snot nosed punk and Superman is a goody two shoes.

The fact that he's got a great costume, is the most powerful being on earth and is an alien is not good enough any more.

The guy with no powers and lots more character has taken the lead in popularity.