• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kansas City cgc 8.0 Action 1

820 posts in this topic

I would love to know how they conducted payment for the 1 mil action 1. Wire transfer, money in a suit case? haha.

Also wonder if the buyer is doing any kind of a time payment. If you can afford to spend 1 mil on 1 comic I think not. But still 1 million is a ton for one transaction...

Probably a Brinks came and deliver the cash. lol

4 Brinks stocked with hundred dollar bills and the buyer threw in a goat as a sign of good will.

lol

I would love to know how they conducted payment for the 1 mil action 1. Wire transfer, money in a suit case? haha.

Also wonder if the buyer is doing any kind of a time payment. If you can afford to spend 1 mil on 1 comic I think not. But still 1 million is a ton for one transaction...

Probably a Brinks came and deliver the cash. lol

4 Brinks stocked with hundred dollar bills and the buyer threw in a goat as a sign of good will.

lol

lol:roflmao:

When I say that Batman is king, I say that he's the more relevent character today.

How so? Are we talking about movies or comic books?

Any way you want to look at it.

I just don't understand what you mean when you say Batman is more relevant.

It's hard to say very long term, but even that, I would bet Action Comics #1 will probably always be the most expensive comic book. It's too historic, the Superman caharacter is no slouch by any means as far as popularity is concerened, and while Batman is recently a more popular character, these things can run in cycles. It's also worth noting that there are more copies of Detective #27.

When I say that Batman is king, I say that he's the more relevent character today.

Aside from the "Death of Superman" fiasco, which character has been more popular for the past 25 years? Who sells more comics, more graphic novels, more books, more merchandise, more theater tickets?

rel·e·vant   /ˈrɛləvənt/ Show Spelled[rel-uh-vuhnt] Show IPA

–adjective

bearing upon or connected with the matter in hand; pertinent: a relevant remark.

pop·u·lar (ppy-lr)

adj.

1. Widely liked or appreciated: a popular resort.

2. Liked by acquaintances; sought after for company: "Beware of over-great pleasure in being popular or even beloved" (Margaret Fuller).

3. Of, representing, or carried on by the people at large: the popular vote.

4. Fit for, adapted to, or reflecting the taste of the people at large: popular entertainment; popular science.

5. Accepted by or prevalent among the people in general:

rumor mill on OA forum, it probably was a rumor deal.

What does that mean?

they don't believe the deal went down.

Based upon what evidence?

People on the internet dont need evidence to be nay-sayers! That's just silly.

Aside from the "Death of Superman" fiasco, which character has been more popular for the past 25 years? Who sells more comics, more graphic novels, more books, more merchandise, more theater tickets?

I get it. Sales = relevance.

I see that Siege was the #1 comic in December, and Green Lantern was #2. Does that make them more relevant than Superman or Batman? In the same month, there were 16 graphic novels that sold better than Superman and Batman. Are they all therefore more relevant?

Batman sells a lot of movie tickets, while Smallville has been on the air for 9 seasons. All-Star Batman & Robin sells great. So did All-Star Superman.

I don't think in terms of sales. I think in terms of how ingrained a character is in the popular culture, and from my eyes, Superman still wins out.

I see that Siege was the #1 comic in December, and Green Lantern was #2. Does that make them more relevant than Superman or Batman? In the same month, there were 16 graphic novels that sold better than Superman and Batman. Are they all therefore more relevant?

Batman sells a lot of movie tickets, while Smallville has been on the air for 9 seasons. All-Star Batman & Robin sells great. So did All-Star Superman.

I don't think in terms of sales. I think in terms of how ingrained a character is in the popular culture, and from my eyes, Superman still wins out.

I doubt you could find very many people in any developed nation on earth that didnt know both.

OK, if you really want to make this argument...

First of all, I'm looking at the past 25 years as a whole, not picking out individual months. It's simple: Batman drives DC.

Ingrained in popular culture? The Dark Knight trounces both Smallville and Superman Returns combined. It was one of the biggest media events of the decade.

As the clock ticks, Superman loses his hold on popular culture. Why? The world has changed, and Batman / Bruce Wayne is more attractive to both creators and consumers, and it's been that way for quite some time.

What's exciting to me about the sale of the Kansas City Action #1 is the affirmation that Superman is still king. I was buying Actions and Supes off the spinner rack before I could even read, and today those two titles remain the focus of my collecting. I know some people think he's boring, milk-toast, yada yada yada. To me, he's an indestructible being from another planet, an adopted Earthling, who reminds us what being human, or humane, is all about. I know my life has been enriched by Superman's presence on Earth, even if it's only in funny books and on the silver screen. :)

Batman's still king.... there are just fewer Action 1s than Tec 27s.

Grade for grade, unrestored Tec 27s seem to be rarer than Action 1s.

What's exciting to me about the sale of the Kansas City Action #1 is the affirmation that Superman is still king. I was buying Actions and Supes off the spinner rack before I could even read, and today those two titles remain the focus of my collecting. I know some people think he's boring, milk-toast, yada yada yada. To me, he's an indestructible being from another planet, an adopted Earthling, who reminds us what being human, or humane, is all about. I know my life has been enriched by Superman's presence on Earth, even if it's only in funny books and on the silver screen. :)

Batman's still king.... there are just fewer Action 1s than Tec 27s.

Grade for grade, unrestored Tec 27s seem to be rarer than Action 1s.

+1 on that

OK, if you really want to make this argument...

First of all, I'm looking at the past 25 years as a whole, not picking out individual months. It's simple: Batman drives DC.

Ingrained in popular culture? The Dark Knight trounces both Smallville and Superman Returns combined. It was one of the biggest media events of the decade.

As the clock ticks, Superman loses his hold on popular culture. Why? The world has changed, and Batman / Bruce Wayne is more attractive to both creators and consumers, and it's been that way for quite some time.

I just don't agree that it's all about dollars. It's when aspects of a character and the world he inhabits take hold in popular culture. When references are made in fiction, nonfiction, TV, movies, and in social interactions. I just don't see Batman, Alfred, and Gotham City coming up as often as Superman, Clark Kent, Krypton, The Daily Planet, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, etc.

To put in perspective, image you're on a street with a bomb strapped to you and it will go in half an hour off unless you can find somebody who's never heard of Superman.

To put in perspective, image you're on a street with a bomb strapped to you and it will go in half an hour off unless you can find somebody who's never heard of Superman.

Where am I with this bomb? In a grade school or a retirement home?

Where am I with this bomb? In a grade school or a retirement home?

I wouldn't even let a kid in grade school see The Dark Knight.