• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHOWCASE 9 and ADVENTURE 247 are Useless Silver Age Books!

143 posts in this topic

Urban legend has it that a certain creator was a big Krypto fan

Fact is that it was Billy Mumy (of Lost in Space fame, and a part time comic writer) who drove the price on that book. He paid $5000 for a high grade copy at a time when that was an absurd amount.

wow, never knew that Richie...so sink big $ into a litter known book in a major title and "presto!" :grin:

STOP RESPONDING TO SAGAT THE ATTENTION HOOR!

Responding actually legimitizes his rantings and encourages him. If he wants to engage in genuine and reasoned discussion, then that would be great (although probably impossible in his case).

But right now he`s like some 5-year old kid coming into the room and screaming "LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!!" and should be ignored accordingly.

Most 5-year olds already know how to turn off the caps lock.

Sagat apparently knows how to send threatening PMs to me. What a piece of work.

Another internet tough guy! doh!

Show of hands please.

There are two in this thread..................

FWIW, I think it is a 2nd tier DC SA key now since the Legion has dropped in significance in the DCU. Maybe we will see the franchise revived in the future, but it is not as big a key as it used to be. That beings said, it is on my medium term want list.

Make it three. Lois Lane....piffle, but I grew up on Legion. Love the continued story where they join up with the enemy to battle the nasty Space Cloud. I nominate Duo Damsel as hottest super hero ever (twins) and miss her dead third iteration.

Adding myself to the count here :hi:

Legion collector for years, with only a coverless #247 and a barely VG #300, but I got 'em and I love 'em! :cloud9:

Only missing a handful of Legion appearances from 1956 to this very day. Adventure #247 is a huge book for me and for many other collectors as well and considering the long (and pretty much continuous) publishing history of the Legionnaires, it should definitely be considered a major key. That's why it gets top dollar whenever it appears on the market (not that often).

I never collected Lois Lane with the same passion as the Legion, but it is a title I'm always interested in. Plenty of wonderful covers and some really nice (albeit naive, but in that warm, innocent DC way) silver age stories.

I may agree that Showcase #9 should probably not be called a "major" key, but that definitely doesn't mean that there are no people collecting the title or looking for this particular issue. (And no, I don't have one, but I'm sure the right copy at the right price will come my way at the right time :wishluck: )

Happy 1,000th!

:whee:

ON EBAY THERE HAVE BEEN A FEW ADV 247 WITH BUY IT NOW AND NEVER HAVE THEY BEEN SOLD OVER THE LAST YEAR. NO DEMAND WHATSOVER. STATISTICS PLEASE.

SHOWCASE 9 NEVER SELLS NEAR GUIDE. SCARCE BUT WITH LITTLE OR NO DEMAND.

BOTH THESE BOOKS HAVE GUIDED FOR ALOT OVER THE YEARS BECAUSE THEY ARE OLD BUT NOT BECAUSE OF DEMAND OR SIGNIFICANCE. THEREFORE BOTH MUST BE OVERTAKEN AND REMOVED FROM THE TOP 20 SILVER AGE BOOKS IN THE OVERSTREET AND THEY SHOULD BRING BACK DETECTIVE 225 BACK IN THE MIX. 1ST MARTIAN MANHUNTER IS MORE IMPORTANT. ALSO AMAZING SPIDERMAN #2 DESERVES THE NOD.

YOU CAN'T HAVE BOTH SHOWCASE 9 AND ADV 247 BE CLOSE IN VALUE TO BRAVE AND BOLD 28. JUST DOESN'T COMPARE. EVERYBODY KNOWS JLA AND NOT MANY GIVE A HOOT ABOUT THESE 2 OTHER BUM BOOKS>

Most buy it now books are over priced. Adventure 247 always sells at respectable prices in no reserve auctions. In fact, it is a book that sells very well in lower grades.

Who do you think you are, trying to bring logic into this guy's four color hate-fest? :baiting:

Adventure 247 and Showcase 9 are great books, but are stagnant. On the other hand, Brave and the Bold 28 is undervalue and has begun to appreciate in value

Adventure 247 is the 1st appearance of a once-significant superteam and I believe OPG lists it at fair value.

On the other hand, B&B 28 is not the 1st appearance of any hero on this sometimes-great superhero team, but perhaps you are right...perhaps this book is undervalued especially in comparison to JLA #1, the team's 4th appearance, which is so close in value.

Adventure 247 and Showcase 9 are great books, but are stagnant. On the other hand, Brave and the Bold 28 is undervalue and has begun to appreciate in value

Adventure 247 is the 1st appearance of a once-significant superteam and I believe OPG lists it at fair value.

On the other hand, B&B 28 is not the 1st appearance of any hero on this sometimes-great superhero team, but perhaps you are right...perhaps this book is undervalued especially in comparison to JLA #1, the team's 4th appearance, which is so close in value.

Yes, I remember collecting a while back and Adventure 247 was always on my radar, but somehow I have lost interest in it...and never pick up a copy. It was so popular, dealers specified which issues (20 plus) had their appearance, so a collector can finish their legion run.

Just like Fantastic Four #1 now, isn't it? :devil::baiting:

Was never a fan of FF nor JLA. Always preferred Spidey or Hulk.

My comment was directed at the boards, not you specifically. Just trying to get some FF fanboys (hi Dave) riled up this morning. lol

Adventure 247 was my first "grail" book. I was SOOOO jazzed when i got it. The legion was my favorite title when i was growing up. They are what brought me into the comic world. I stopped collecting soon after they lost their staring role in the series to Supergirl.

even though they are nowhere near as revelant in today's DCU they will always be a major part of history.

I am not a big Lois fan even though i have most of her books. She is still a major character, and that is a tough book to find in grade.

Based on this arguement many of the Golden age books should not be in the top lists since they are not major characters now.

adv247c2.jpg

adv247.jpg

I had a chance to get a nice adventure 210 off ebay about 5 years ago. still kicking myself that I did not pull the trigger. I did get Krypto's 2nd appearance from that seller

Based on this arguement many of the Golden age books should not be in the top lists since they are not major characters now.

Ah, but you are already seeing it on the Golden Age books. Take a look at OPG #20 or earlier and see how high 1st appearance of The Arrow used to rank, or even early Barks 4-Colours, Whiz #1, Captain Marvel #1, etc.

Same thing is already happening with Silver Age books. In 1991, Adventure #247 tied for 4th most valuable Silver Age books. As its relevance decreased (or other books' relevance increased) Adventure #247 has dropped in the value rankings. Same thing with Showcase #4, ASM #1, etc.

Just like Fantastic Four #1 now, isn't it? :devil::baiting:

Was never a fan of FF nor JLA. Always preferred Spidey or Hulk.

My comment was directed at the boards, not you specifically. Just trying to get some FF fanboys (hi Dave) riled up this morning. lol

(thumbs u

Ah, but you are already seeing it on the Golden Age books. Take a look at OPG #20 or earlier and see how high 1st appearance of The Arrow used to rank, or even early Barks 4-Colours, Whiz #1, Captain Marvel #1, etc.

Same thing is already happening with Silver Age books. In 1991, Adventure #247 tied for 4th most valuable Silver Age books. As its relevance decreased (or other books' relevance increased) Adventure #247 has dropped in the value rankings. Same thing with Showcase #4, ASM #1, etc.

Think how sad those people are who invested in all those copies of Tarzan......

Ok I am looking for an example

Hey, keep talking down Adventure 247. Then maybe I'll own one someday.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that low grade copies (VG and below) sell for over guide? hm

Hey, keep talking down Adventure 247. Then maybe I'll own one someday.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that low grade copies (VG and below) sell for over guide? hm

Here's one for you. Last spring at the first show here in Edmonton a 1.5 or 1.8 copy sold for $1,000 no questions asked.

I spent a good chunk of the first half of the last decade buying G/VG/F Silver Age keys, never spending more than 1/2 OPG guide for anything.

I NEVER was able to buy an Adventure #247 (though I was able to put the entire rest of the Legion appearances together.)

Interpret at will.