• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers # 1 and # 4 Club
12 12

1,089 posts in this topic

This week's result for Avengers 1 and 4 for ComicLink auction 5/25/10.

Avengers 1

8.0 cream to off-white $7512

7.0 off-white $4427

7.0 off-white to white $4300

5.5 cream to off-white $1829

3.5 cream to off-white $ 762

Avengers 4

9.4 off-white to white (Northland) $17530

9.0 white pages $5400

7.0 cream to off-white $1001

Edited by showcase22gr1959

It's not even that high of a grade for a SA book. I consider high grade to be 9.6 and up. I dunno, but I wouldn't pay the price for that 9.2. Could be the pedigree status that boosted the price up, but there are so much AV 4 available in 9.2.

The Northland was a 9.4, which makes more sense. Actually, the price was a little low compared to GPA. I thought about it, considering my affinity for SA Pedigreed Keys, but I have my sights set elsewhere:

Avengers494NORTHLAND.jpg

Oops! doh! Changed it. That was looking quite high for a 9.2. (thumbs u

Here's a question for y'all:

Which book do you think will prove to be a more valuable book in the long run and why? For my part, I'm of the mind that says Avengers 4. Avengers isn't really a TRUE first appearance other than the group itself as all other were around. #4 is the first appearance Cap since the GA, but more importantly, it really establishes his presence in the true Marvel Age of comics--not Timely. I can see the argument that Avenger 1 provided the vehicle for Cap to return and that's a fair point. I'd say both books' splash pages are equally astounding and I'd have a hard time putting one over the other; however, when it comes to cover art, there is no question that the #4 is leaps and bounds ahead of #1. Storywise, #1 isn't bad really but when you look at the more complex charater-driven story of #4, I think we see even in terms of content, #4 pulls ahead in the end.

But hey! That's just me--what do you guys think?

Which book do you think will prove to be a more valuable book in the long run and why? For my part, I'm of the mind that says Avengers 4. Avengers isn't really a TRUE first appearance other than the group itself as all other were around. #4 is the first appearance Cap since the GA, but more importantly, it really establishes his presence in the true Marvel Age of comics--not Timely. I can see the argument that Avenger 1 provided the vehicle for Cap to return and that's a fair point. I'd say both books' splash pages are equally astounding and I'd have a hard time putting one over the other; however, when it comes to cover art, there is no question that the #4 is leaps and bounds ahead of #1. Storywise, #1 isn't bad really but when you look at the more complex charater-driven story of #4, I think we see even in terms of content, #4 pulls ahead in the end.

A1 is already 3x the "guide" value of an A4 in top guide. It's hard to ever see A4 catching up to A1, but the popularity of Cap should keep A4 and A1 neck in neck from a demand standpoint. (thumbs u Edited by Primetime

The Northland was a 9.4, which makes more sense. Actually, the price was a little low compared to GPA. I thought about it, considering my affinity for SA Pedigreed Keys, but I have my sights set elsewhere:

Avengers494NORTHLAND.jpg

Oops! doh! Changed it. That was looking quite high for a 9.2. (thumbs u

I knew something was fishy about that price. Now it makes sense lol

A#4 is a classic cover and story. A#1 is good. But the Hulk leaves Avengers way to soon. But you can't beat Loki and Thor as well. A#1 overall to me due to it is the 1st issue. Never know, if Avengers never came about, CA may have had his return in Fantastic Four or another series.

A1 is already 3x the "guide" value of an A4 in top guide. It's hard to ever see A4 catching up to A1, but the popularity of Cap should keep A4 and A1 neck in neck from a demand standpoint. (thumbs u

Well said!

A1 since it is consistently more rare in high grade than A4. I wouldn't sneeze at either one, though.

+1

From a supply standpoint AV1 is much more difficult to obtain in decent grade whereas AV4 seems almost always available. From a geek standpoint, AV4 is way cooler. I love & cherish both my books regardless.

Here is my admission to the club! Avengers #4 is next on the list...

This is a 2.5 and I tend to prefer higher grade books but the overall look of this book in person is quite nice and I got it for a great price (the lowest recorded in recent times for a an Avengers 2.5 CGC book on Heritage Auctions)

lf.jpg