• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
27 27

8,230 posts in this topic

On 3/25/2023 at 1:02 PM, batmiesta said:

The Monster unleashed #8 is only the second 9.8 on the census, so can't be too disappointed with that.

I'm happy for the successes, pal.  Disappointed at the rest.  You've got a pretty good eye for condition and some of those look unreasonably low.  

That Hulk 9 is pretty special!  :foryou:

On 3/25/2023 at 6:55 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I'm happy for the successes, pal.  Disappointed at the rest.  You've got a pretty good eye for condition and some of those look unreasonably low.  

That Hulk 9 is pretty special!  :foryou:

Thanks Douglas, I am a bugger for not checking the back covers and that was my undoing on the Monsters unleashed #2 and the Captain Britain #8, but you can't win them all.

On 3/26/2023 at 12:27 AM, Axe Elf said:

So I've been playing around with this some.

First, I printed it out as big as I could fit it onto a sheet of glossy sticker paper (paper with an adhesive surface when you peel off the backing)...

1887519323_StickerSheet.thumb.jpg.84f69490bc23b7233507097f3ce7bd33.jpg

Then I cut them all apart...

1609389439_StickerCutting.thumb.jpg.259220f94b391ac044bcc42ecef87520.jpg

And now I have a full set of 150 CREEPY cover stickers, each about 2 cm x 1.5 cm!

Stickers.thumb.jpg.b4703d2867092b9a09fa5afe0d790d6d.jpg

I was thinking that like as a collector, maybe someone could print out the original image in grayscale on a plain piece of paper, and then as you acquire each book, you could affix its sticker to the master sheet!  Or put the stickers on the ones you've read!  Or just mess with people you send mail to or whatever!

And then I was thinking how that would be like putting together a puzzle, and then I thought it would be really cool if each little cover interlocked, like a puzzle piece, and then I thought what a great puzzle this pic would make!

So I just got done ordering a 19" x 19" square 500 piece jigsaw puzzle of all 150 CREEPYs!!!

To make it an exact square, I added the CREEPY logo at the top, along with each of the mastheads used on the covers next to the logos throughout the history of the run at the top, and added a 50 pixel black border as suggested by the puzzle company to account for bleed off the edges and trimming, so that I don't lose any of the image itself to that.

1272114103_CREEPYAllofEmPuzzleSquare.thumb.jpg.f7802a21d4970e7f247393cd80fa7305.jpg

I chose to have it packaged in a custom tin box with the image on top, rather than in a cardboard box or just a plastic bag, so it ended up costing about $56 after like $13 for shipping, but it's such a unique item, I couldn't resist.  Call it a birthday present to myself.

If your birthday is coming up too, and you'd like to make your own puzzle, you can probably Google a place to CreateJigsawPuzzles, and if you click on THIS LINK it should take you to the file for downloading.

It's kind of hard to see the individual pieces except in the white areas, but you can get an idea of the size of the pieces in this low-res preview image of the file as a puzzle:

467691818_PuzzlePreview.thumb.JPG.ff33334cc8a0aeccecb227ecf2ca3666.JPG

I can't wait!

(Looks like delivery in about 2-3 weeks.)

This is so cool. I love puzzles and now I want one. :takeit:

Well, spoon... they're telling me they can't print my picture on a puzzle because the images are copyrighted, unless I have an authorization letter from the copyright holder.

I thought they were public domain by now?  How can they be available for free on Internet Archives and such if they are still under copyright?

And if they are, who holds the copyright now?  Maybe whoever holds the copyright will authorize me to print a single puzzle for personal use.

It seems like since these are just scans of my own books, it's basically just an original picture of my own collection--that wouldn't be copyrighted, would it?

On 3/27/2023 at 5:57 PM, FoggyNelson said:

I first looked at the pile an I thought they were real👍‼️💰💰

The pile of little stickers is real.  The puzzle is not... yet.

EDIT:  Never mind, I realized you were thinking it was a pile of actual books.  lol

Edited by Axe Elf

As a consolation, I found a place that makes online puzzles out of uploaded images, and they had no qualms about doing my CREEPY collage, which I set up so that each cover is basically its own piece--11 rows by 15 columns.

If you want to try your hand at putting it together yourself, click HERE!

On 3/27/2023 at 4:02 PM, Axe Elf said:

As a consolation, I found a place that makes online puzzles out of uploaded images, and they had no qualms about doing my CREEPY collage, which I set up so that each cover is basically its own piece--11 rows by 15 columns.

If you want to try your hand at putting it together yourself, click HERE!

Took me about 20 minutes.  Fun!

On 3/27/2023 at 3:48 PM, Axe Elf said:

Well, spoon... they're telling me they can't print my picture on a puzzle because the images are copyrighted, unless I have an authorization letter from the copyright holder.

I thought they were public domain by now?  How can they be available for free on Internet Archives and such if they are still under copyright?

And if they are, who holds the copyright now?  Maybe whoever holds the copyright will authorize me to print a single puzzle for personal use.

It seems like since these are just scans of my own books, it's basically just an original picture of my own collection--that wouldn't be copyrighted, would it?

Obsurd that they wouldn't use proper judgment in differentiating you from a mass production printing process. 🙃

Speaking of puzzles, I never knew these authorized CREEPY puzzles existed.  Looks like the SOLD ones are all under $100, but still, they seem to be highly valued, as puzzles go.

Does anyone know how many different covers they did?  I'm only seeing these three varieties.

image.thumb.png.fadcdeda22bd5af0ed0160e6f851cda5.png

Edited by Axe Elf

On 4/8/2023 at 3:48 PM, Stevemmg said:

Since there really isn’t a thread for this

Maybe cross-post to the "Show Off Your Vampirellas" thread?

This is showing off on a few different levels...  the artist showing off his craft...  the vampiress showing off her girlie parts...  and the new owner showing off his awesome purchase!