• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
27 27

8,230 posts in this topic

On 3/5/2023 at 12:24 AM, oakman29 said:

Funny I'm finding a lot of crazy in the wild.🥴

Nice one I never saw this cover before , I didn’t think Crazy lasted this many issues

On 3/5/2023 at 2:14 PM, Axe Elf said:

Ever seen all 145 Warren issues of CREEPY + the 5 Yearbooks/Annuals in one place at one time before?

287947853_CREEPYAllofEm.thumb.jpg.fdf8af33162557cd964acd2fbb2a0594.jpg

The original image is still detailed enough that you can read the writing on the covers when you zoom in, but I think some of the quality may have been abraded in posting it here.

Here's a link where you can download the full original image if you want it  --->  CREEPY All of 'Em

Thanks for the new screen saver.

On 3/5/2023 at 5:11 PM, OtherEric said:

Last day of the show pickups:

Creepy_122.jpg

I can’t stop staring at this cover wondering what’s going on. At first he seems like he’s being dropped from something the logo and text are obscuring. Then I thought he was doing some Matrix martial arts back flip move. Then I looked closer and he seems to be growing as a Bonsai tree??! Strange cover on this one.

Edited by Jayman

On 3/5/2023 at 5:14 PM, Axe Elf said:

Ever seen all 145 Warren issues of CREEPY + the 5 Yearbooks/Annuals in one place at one time before?

287947853_CREEPYAllofEm.thumb.jpg.fdf8af33162557cd964acd2fbb2a0594.jpg

The original image is still detailed enough that you can read the writing on the covers when you zoom in, but I think some of the quality may have been abraded in posting it here.

Here's a link where you can download the full original image if you want it  --->  CREEPY All of 'Em

Sweet‼️👍where is my magnifying glass😀

On 3/9/2023 at 2:39 PM, OtherEric said:

The Creepy puts me at 100 issues total for the title.

One of the 12 or so with the weird logo.

On 3/9/2023 at 2:39 PM, OtherEric said:

I recall asking my dad to vet the issue for me,

lol  If you'd found a Playboy, would you ask him to read it and make sure it was safe for you too?

If I found a book that might be full of forbidden material, my first thought wouldn't be to run it by my parents before I opened it.

On 3/9/2023 at 2:37 PM, Axe Elf said:

If I found a book that might be full of forbidden material, my first thought wouldn't be to run it by my parents before I opened it.

I was always very aware of my limitations as a kid, and my parents were always good about letting me see stuff if they felt I was ready for it.  In our house, the Playboys were in the magazine rack in the living room, along with the US News and World Reports.  If I recall the time frame, my mom got my dad the subscription around the time I was 15 and I was never prohibited from looking at it.

I had awesome parents.  Still do, in the case of my Dad.  (My mom passed over 30 years ago, sadly.)

On 3/9/2023 at 5:22 PM, OtherEric said:

I was always very aware of my limitations as a kid, and my parents were always good about letting me see stuff if they felt I was ready for it.  In our house, the Playboys were in the magazine rack in the living room, along with the US News and World Reports.  If I recall the time frame, my mom got my dad the subscription around the time I was 15 and I was never prohibited from looking at it.

I had awesome parents.  Still do, in the case of my Dad.  (My mom passed over 30 years ago, sadly.)

That's cool, but it makes me sort of wonder on the other end of the spectrum now--if your parents were cool with you looking at Playboys, just what did you think was in this Warren comic book that would be potentially verboten, child vivisection and cannibalism or something?

On 3/9/2023 at 4:30 PM, Axe Elf said:

That's cool, but it makes me sort of wonder on the other end of the spectrum now--if your parents were cool with you looking at Playboys, just what did you think was in this Warren comic book that would be potentially verboten, child vivisection and cannibalism or something?

I was five years older would be the main thing, I think.  The Warren was around 10, the Playboys were around 15.

On 3/9/2023 at 6:44 PM, OtherEric said:

I was five years older would be the main thing, I think.  The Warren was around 10, the Playboys were around 15.

That makes sense.

Back to your original point about remembering the book from the Star Wars articles...  if there's one aspect of Warren publishing I didn't like is that they seemed to basically make themselves shills for Star Wars merchandise as much or more than they were horror comics in the late 70s.  I mean, the beautiful Frazetta cover of CREEPY #97 (also used on EERIE #3) has "NEW STAR WARS PRODUCTS! Page 73" emblazoned above the logo as the issue headline.  I wonder if positioning themselves so much as a catalog of products contributed to their bankruptcy once the "Force Fever" died down.  Seems like the general public remembers Warren magazines as much for the live monkeys and--as in your case--Star Wars products as they do for the artistic content.

Edited by Axe Elf