• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
27 27

8,230 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2023 at 10:54 PM, Jayman said:

So I have been filled with anticipation for way too long, but it has finally arrived after a long 9 month wait. As most of you may know, I'm a huge Skywald fan. I even helped with the Skywald!: The Complete Illustrated History of the Horror-Mood Paperback by contributing all the magazine covers for the publication. But my dream was to own a piece of original art from one of the early issues. On speaking with David Kerekes who interviewed Alan Hewetson for the book, I had asked (David) if he knew of any OA from the Skywald mags that still existed. David said that Hewetson claimed a flood in the office basement destroyed most of, if not all of the art that they had.

Fast forward to this past August and I become aware of an artist taking commissions via Facebook. When I learned who it was, my heart dropped! Could I get him to recreate a page from one of my favorite stories from Skywald that he himself did back in 1971? I will tell you all that this is my first time requesting a commission and I have @Stevemmg to thank for inspiring me to do so. I let Steve know through PMs that by his sharing of so many of his wonderful commissions in the Spanish Artist thread that he gave me the push to contact the artist who graciously accepted to create this piece for me. The artist is in his 70's and has had some health issues during this process that he has thankfully overcome, hence the long wait. But during that time, I was able to correspond with the artist which was as enjoyable as knowing he was doing this piece for me. Here is the issue that the original story was from:

Nightmare4.thumb.jpg.3e85d1d907318e9f247678584b8d03c2.jpg

The page is a recreation of the final page to the cover story "The Phantom of the Rock Era". This was my first exposure to the artist, and I immediately fell in love with his style. The artist, as you may have guessed, is Ralph Reese. It's been a joy corresponding with him and I've learned a bit of his history along the way. A memorable fact that he was an apprentice under Wally Wood. Here is what greeted me when I got home today.

Package.jpg.ed0f803c4085b661037f6c8229ee1dd0.jpg

And without further ado, here is the page. To say I'm over the moon with this is an understatement! So while not THE original art from 1971, it's the same page recreated by the original artist! I can't stop staring at it and it will be matted and framed asap. Thank you Ralph Reese! 

RalphReesePhantomoftheRockEraPage.thumb.jpg.d5d8fed4cd0cd3722dab2954d2015774.jpg

Amazing!!! 👍👍

On 4/21/2023 at 9:54 PM, Jayman said:

So I have been filled with anticipation for way too long, but it has finally arrived after a long 9 month wait. As most of you may know, I'm a huge Skywald fan. I even helped with the Skywald!: The Complete Illustrated History of the Horror-Mood Paperback by contributing all the magazine covers for the publication. But my dream was to own a piece of original art from one of the early issues. On speaking with David Kerekes who interviewed Alan Hewetson for the book, I had asked (David) if he knew of any OA from the Skywald mags that still existed. David said that Hewetson claimed a flood in the office basement destroyed most of, if not all of the art that they had.

Fast forward to this past August and I become aware of an artist taking commissions via Facebook. When I learned who it was, my heart dropped! Could I get him to recreate a page from one of my favorite stories from Skywald that he himself did back in 1971? I will tell you all that this is my first time requesting a commission and I have @Stevemmg to thank for inspiring me to do so. I let Steve know through PMs that by his sharing of so many of his wonderful commissions in the Spanish Artist thread that he gave me the push to contact the artist who graciously accepted to create this piece for me. The artist is in his 70's and has had some health issues during this process that he has thankfully overcome, hence the long wait. But during that time, I was able to correspond with the artist which was as enjoyable as knowing he was doing this piece for me. Here is the issue that the original story was from:

Nightmare4.thumb.jpg.3e85d1d907318e9f247678584b8d03c2.jpg

The page is a recreation of the final page to the cover story "The Phantom of the Rock Era". This was my first exposure to the artist, and I immediately fell in love with his style. The artist, as you may have guessed, is Ralph Reese. It's been a joy corresponding with him and I've learned a bit of his history along the way. A memorable fact that he was an apprentice under Wally Wood. Here is what greeted me when I got home today.

Package.jpg.ed0f803c4085b661037f6c8229ee1dd0.jpg

And without further ado, here is the page. To say I'm over the moon with this is an understatement! So while not THE original art from 1971, it's the same page recreated by the original artist! I can't stop staring at it and it will be matted and framed asap. Thank you Ralph Reese!

Finally!  The suspense was overwhelming, and it truly did not disappoint!!  Congratulations, and I know it was a bit of a long road to get this done, but well  worth it all!  Pieces like this become the heart of your collection. I’m very happy for you Jay, you will enjoy this forever.

On 4/28/2023 at 5:26 PM, OtherEric said:

Having gotten about a dozen issues, I'm starting to debate how much I want to bother with Crazy at this point.  Like so many MAD rip-offs, the major reaction to reading it is a sense of just how good MAD was at mixing timeless humor with contemporary jokes.

As a teen, CRACKED appealed to me slightly more than MAD, although I enjoyed both.  I could be way off on this, but it seemed like by that point (late 70s) MAD was just kind of a showcase for its artists (like "Dave Berg Takes a Loving Look at..." or "Al Jaffee's..." or whatever), while CRACKED was more about the content, and therefore a little "broader" in scope, if that makes any sense.

MAD was always the gold standard to which every other comedy magazine was compared, though, which made it difficult for any comedy magazine to NOT be considered a "MAD knockoff."

On 4/28/2023 at 8:01 PM, OtherEric said:

I actually think, on average, my books are pretty decent.  I just have a wider acceptable range than most people, so there are more "just happy to have a copy" books than a lot of collectors here.

As the owner of the "Po' Boy EERIE Collection" I certainly meant no disrespect; I have just come to know you has having that wider acceptable range.

I think my first experience of you was the "obstructed view seating" copy you posted in the EERIE #23 Club, so I've always kind of recalled the grin I got from that when I see some of your lower-grade copies.  In fact, I kind of admire that about you, because I started out that way myself with the EERIEs--I didn't care what the books looked like, I just wanted a copy of all of them--but then over time (and when I got the sparkly Vampis) I kind of got seduced by the urge to "upgrade" to better copies.  So now I'm slowly spending a few extra hundred dollars doing that, when I probably should have remained "just happy to have a copy."  (And I still think books are for reading.)

So your worn copies represent a little of my lost innocence, and I think of you and them fondly--yet I know how cool it is to get books that look really good, too--hence the compliment!

Edited by Axe Elf