• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which will be the best long term investment: Tecs or Actions?

283 posts in this topic

I don't know about Spidey. Yes he's number three in popularity etc, but his books have leveled off as the supply has grown. Its the GA vs SA comparison at its heart. Early Bats and Supes are so much scarcer in grade that the chase is apples and oranges. Id say GA bats and Supes have more legs ring forward than Spideys... no?

I see a changing of the guard. Nothing is hotter than Walking Dead.I have been following comics the past 35 years, and in this span no comic book or franchise has ever been this hot. Not Batman,Not Superman,Not Spider-man and not even Obadiah Oldbuck. ;)

wasn't Spawn the same way back in the early 90s? a movie, animated series on HBO, hottest selling title, etc. now, not so much.

longer term WD will follow the same path...zombies are "in" right now, but that is a cyclical type "in" and they will be out sooner than later... but hey, ride the coaster while the line is short :banana:

how does anyone equate a video game, a cartoon ,action figures etc with the long term appreciation of Golden Age comics (shrug)

unless that 17 year old kid or 12 year old has suddenly come into a lot of lawn mowing money, those factors will have little to nothing to do with the appreciation (or lack there of) of vintage comics typically priced in the stratosphere already...

movie...that certainly could garner some interest in the golden age origins for some bigger money players, but ultimately, I say it will have minimal effect

if anything, the lawsuit with dc and s/s might have the most influential impact, bringing to light to the type of individuals (lawyers and such) that just love these type of "investments" lol

SOT posting in a GA thread. :ohnoez:

Rick the reason could be that getting little Jimmy hooked on superhero characters like a Batman or Superman in childhood is a set-up or gateway drug of if you will to the vintage comics later in life.

My generation was probably the first to have comic books, anime, trading cards, internet, and video games all together to choose from when I was younger. Now at the age of 31 I look back and see how all of those mixed together lead me to where I am today.

Now today's youth has more advanced categories of the ones I just mentioned, and yes a lot less comic book stores. However, IMO the movies have really added to not only getting the youth excited about the relevance of each character, but also helping characters like Iron Man, Thor, Green Lantern, etc. grow globally. Which is really a big deal.

Of course a 12 year old can't afford an TEC 31 in CGC 4.0 grade right now. What happens though when they go up to become a Lawyer, doctor, or business person? They might just be able to achieve such a purchase.

I have seen countless youth (ages 8-21) walking/stopping by Bob's booth, and asking how much that AF 15, X-men 1, TOS 39, Hulk 181, or JIM 83 books are. What does that tell you? It tells you later in life there is a very good chance they will want to one day own one. I am sure you must get the same kind of diversified aged traffic asking how much you GA books are at shows.

You know I am not really a Golden Age guy so in my opinion though the GA is not as relevant anymore compared to the SA in terms of the general public recognizing most of the characters anymore besides the obvious ones in Superman, Batman, Flash, and Green Lantern, I pretty much have Wonder Woman on the bubble lately because I am not sure how much the people under 21 know who she really is anymore.

Next summer it is extremely important that the Superman is well done & received well by the youth globally because the last one really didn't help the character grow.

Christoper Nolan's Batman were so veryimportant to the character's mainstream growth.

Superman next summer will hopefully get the proverbial shot in the arm with the new movie. This is probably the most necessary reboot in my lifetime. Funny some dope the other day told me he could not believe they are retelling/rebooting the Superman franchise again already. :facepalm: I was like you mean rebooting since the last one was told back in the late 70's when I wasn't even born yet. doh! I also explained to the complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person that DC comics could care less what people over 40 think about a reboot. I then explained to him it is all about the youth knowing who Superman is not you or I.

how does anyone equate a video game, a cartoon ,action figures etc with the long term appreciation of Golden Age comics (shrug)

unless that 17 year old kid or 12 year old has suddenly come into a lot of lawn mowing money, those factors will have little to nothing to do with the appreciation (or lack there of) of vintage comics typically priced in the stratosphere already...

movie...that certainly could garner some interest in the golden age origins for some bigger money players, but ultimately, I say it will have minimal effect

if anything, the lawsuit with dc and s/s might have the most influential impact, bringing to light to the type of individuals (lawyers and such) that just love these type of "investments" lol

Rick the reason could be that getting little Jimmy hooked on superhero characters like a Batman or Superman in childhood is a set-up or gateway drug of if you will to the vintage comics later in life.

My generation was probably the first to have comic books, anime, trading cards, internet, and video games all together to choose from when I was younger. Now at the age of 31 I look back and see how all of those mixed together lead me to where I am today.

Now today's youth has more advanced categories of the ones I just mentioned, and yes a lot less comic book stores. However, IMO the movies have really added to not only getting the youth excited about the relevance of each character, but also helping characters like Iron Man, Thor, Green Lantern, etc. grow globally. Which is really a big deal.

Of course a 12 year old can't afford an TEC 31 in CGC 4.0 grade right now. What happens though when they go up to become a Lawyer, doctor, or business person? They might just be able to achieve such a purchase.

I have seen countless youth (ages 8-21) walking/stopping by Bob's booth, and asking how much that AF 15, X-men 1, TOS 39, Hulk 181, or JIM 83 books are. What does that deal you? It tells you later in life their is a very good chance they will want to own one. I am sure you must get the same kind of diversified aged traffic asking how much you GA books are.

You know I am not really a Golden Age guy so in my opinion though the GA is not as relevant anymore compared to the SA in terms of the general public recognizing most of the characters anymore besides the obvious ones in Superman, Batman, Flash, and Green Lantern, I pretty much have Wonder Woman on the bubble lately because I am not sure how much the people under 21 know who she really is anymore.

Next summer it is extremely important that the Superman is well done & received well by the youth globally because the last one really didn't help the character grow.

Christoper Nolan's Batman were so important to the character's mainstream growth.

Superman next summer will hopefully get a proverbial shot in the arm with the new movie. This is probably the most necessary reboot in my lifetime. Funny some dope the other day told me he could not believe they are retelling/rebooting the Superman franchise again already. :facepalm: I was like you mean rebooting since the last one was told back in the late 70's when I wasn't even born yet. I also explained to the complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person that DC comics could care less what people over 40 think about a reboot. I then explained to him it is all about the youth knowing who Superman is not you or I.

SOT...I like where you're going with this.

I'm 23 years old and living proof of just how important cartoons, action figures, and video games can be in youth, and how that can later translate into a tremendous appreciation for both GA and SA comics.

When I was about 3 of 4 years old, I didn't want to be a fireman, a cowboy, or an astronaut...I wanted to be Batman.

I watched Batman the Animated Series, Spiderman the Animated Series, Superman the Animated Series, and a number of other Marvel and DC cartoons. I had old VHS tapes that featured the Marvel cartoons my father grew up with in the 1960's. I watched the Superhero movies in theaters.

I played with Superhero action figures a lot as a kid, all of these things helped combine to a great appreciation for the characters. I started collecting comic books around the age of 10.

When I started seriously collecting around the age of 14, I couldn't help but be excited about our hobby. I read the Overstreet guide, I bought Wizard magazine almost every month. I was so intrigued by some of the great books in our hobby.

Even at my age, video games like Arkham Asylum and Arkham City only continue to add to the luster, these forms of entertainment help to bring the incredibly mystery and intrigue of GA and SA books into a modern spotlight.

Had it not been for the cartoons, movies, action figures, and video games...I do not know if I would be as passionate about our hobby as I am today. (thumbs u

Funny some dope the other day told me he could not believe they are retelling/rebooting the Superman franchise again already. :facepalm: I was like you mean rebooting since the last one was told back in the late 70's when I wasn't even born yet. doh!

He probably meant reboot as opposed to trying to continue on from the 2006 movie Superman Returns.

You can't go wrong sinking money into a Tec 27 or Action 1 or a Tec 31 or Action 7....

Well if you like them you won't go wrong. But if you think the prices must escalate further from present levels, you may turn out to be wrong. There are no such guarantees in this world.

(shrug)

Funny some dope the other day told me he could not believe they are retelling/rebooting the Superman franchise again already. :facepalm: I was like you mean rebooting since the last one was told back in the late 70's when I wasn't even born yet. doh!

He probably meant reboot as opposed to trying to continue on from the 2006 movie Superman Returns.

Haha, no he literally said they just retold the origin a couple years ago with Christopher Reeves.

I have seen countless youth (ages 8-21) walking/stopping by Bob's booth, and asking how much that AF 15, X-men 1, TOS 39, Hulk 181, or JIM 83 books are. What does that deal you? It tells you later in life their is a very good chance they will want to own one. I am sure you must get the same kind of diversified aged traffic asking how much you GA books are.

Christoper Nolan's Batman were so important to the character's mainstream growth.

Superman next summer will hopefully get a proverbial shot in the arm with the new movie. This is probably the most necessary reboot in my lifetime. Funny some dope the other day told me he could not believe they are retelling/rebooting the Superman franchise again already. :facepalm: I was like you mean rebooting since the last one was told back in the late 70's when I wasn't even born yet. I also explained to the complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person that DC comics could care less what people over 40 think about a reboot. I then explained to him it is all about the youth knowing who Superman is not you or I.

I'm 23 years old and living proof of just how important cartoons, action figures, and video games can be in youth, and how that can later translate into a tremendous appreciation for both GA and SA comics.

When I was about 3 of 4 years old, I didn't want to be a fireman, a cowboy, or an astronaut...I wanted to be Batman.

I watched Batman the Animated Series, Spiderman the Animated Series, Superman the Animated Series, and a number of other Marvel and DC cartoons. I had old VHS tapes that featured the Marvel cartoons my father grew up with in the 1960's. I watched the Superhero movies in theaters.

I played with Superhero action figures a lot as a kid, all of these things helped combine to a great appreciation for the characters. I started collecting comic books around the age of 10.

When I started seriously collecting around the age of 14, I couldn't help but be excited about our hobby. I read the Overstreet guide, I bought Wizard magazine almost every month. I was so intrigued by some of the great books in our hobby.

Even at my age, video games like Arkham Asylum and Arkham City only continue to add to the luster, these forms of entertainment help to bring the incredibly mystery and intrigue of GA and SA books into a modern spotlight.

Had it not been for the cartoons, movies, action figures, and video games...I do not know if I would be as passionate about our hobby as I am today. (thumbs u

:applause:

can't argue with your specific situation, but imo (and my local experience), you are the exception to the rule (thumbs u

can't argue with your specific situation, but imo (and my local experience), you are the exception to the rule (thumbs u

That is countless people's situation. How do you think people under 35 go into comics? ;)

If it wasn't for the movies, trading card, and video games I probably would have stopped giving a about the comic book characters.

The 1990's besides Pre-Unity Valiant and Jim Lee/Todd McFarlane were ungodly terrible for reading and collecting comics. Some much junk I wouldn't even put in a birdcage to catch the droppings.

That is countless people's situation. How do you think people under 35 go into comics? ;)

Same reason they join a band. Chicks dig it.

If it wasn't for the movies, trading card, and video games I probably would have stopped giving a about the comic book characters.

The 1990's besides Pre-Unity Valiant and Jim Lee/Todd McFarlane were ungodly terrible for reading and collecting comics. Some much junk I wouldn't even put in a birdcage to catch the droppings.

nice postings in the ga section!

You live in a one horse town :makepoint:

I'm also sort of a younger collector coming back into the hobby and getting into Gold/Silver comics. I collected comics back between the ages of 9-14 which was around the late 80's and early 90's, and then kind of moved on to other things. Last year the Green Lantern movie hype got me interested in comics again, and from there I started buying moderns, then got into Bronze and Silver, and finally now into Gold. I'm 32 now and I have some disposable income to go back and get all those mythical comics I wanted as kid. It's really because all those superhero movies from the past few years kind of awakened the inner child in me and reminded of something that used to bring me a lot of joy. I guess it also corresponds to the "Rule of 25" theory.

I'm also sort of a younger collector coming back into the hobby and getting into Gold/Silver comics. I collected comics back between the ages of 9-14 which was around the late 80's and early 90's, and then kind of moved on to other things. Last year the Green Lantern movie hype got me interested in comics again, and from there I started buying moderns, then got into Bronze and Silver, and finally now into Gold. I'm 32 now and I have some disposable income to go back and get all those mythical comics I wanted as kid. It's really because all those superhero movies from the past few years kind of awakened the inner child in me and reminded of something that used to bring me a lot of joy. I guess it also corresponds to the "Rule of 25" theory.
one is never too young or old to start collecting comics :applause:

. . . I started buying moderns, then got into Bronze and Silver, and finally now into Gold. I'm 32 now and I have some disposable income to go back and get all those mythical comics I wanted as kid. . . .

Illustrious . . . what is the 1 BIG Gold book you would love to have in your collection?

. . . I started buying moderns, then got into Bronze and Silver, and finally now into Gold. I'm 32 now and I have some disposable income to go back and get all those mythical comics I wanted as kid. . . .

Illustrious . . . what is the 1 BIG Gold book you would love to have in your collection?

Right now, I'd have to say Captain America Comics #1.

and yet we have some people who say that the Hollywood hype has nothing to do with it. Please Showcase 22 skyrocketed in price because of the movie hype,and there is no better example then Walking Dead.

Then you have the other problem. The problem of waiting too long to make a movie with these Golden Age characters. An example is John Carter.A great big budget movie,but not many modern day audiences cared to go see it. That`s John Carter by the famous author ERB. Imagine if they made Doc Savage and the Shadow movies? Not many would care,as they been out of the public for too long. This leads to the conclusion that if John Carter a big budgeted movie failed,then 99 percent of obscure golden age characters would fail on the big screen as well. So enjoy the Superman and Batman movies they make every 5 years because that`s all we might get from now on.