• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK # 1 CLUB
21 21

3,619 posts in this topic

On 1/7/2022 at 9:38 AM, VintageComics said:

I don't think the MMC #9 had restor but that was almost 15 years ago so I can't remember and I've owned a few.

Strangely, I sold  along with a few other big books at the time to invest after the market collapse of 2008 (and I bought a 5.0 copy to replace it) but I just talked to the owner this morning after not talking to them for several years and they still have it. I have first dibs when they decide to move it. 

That is tied with #1 and #4 as the greatest Marvels of all time in my books.

I remember selling you the second Whiz, but I thought I also sold you a slightly restored MM 4? I actually don't remember the 9. Thankfully all three were sold through me on consignment. I didn't own them, and as a broke grad student had no hope of buying them myself....otherwise those two MM would be near the top of my "why the hell did I sell that" list. 

On 1/7/2022 at 10:51 AM, october said:

I remember selling you the second Whiz, but I thought I also sold you a slightly restored MM 4? I actually don't remember the 9. Thankfully all three were sold through me on consignment. I didn't own them, and as a broke grad student had no hope of buying them myself....otherwise those two MM would be near the top of my "why the hell did I sell that" list. 

OMG, I forgot you sold me the #4 as well, I kept that book for a decade in my personal, I loved it so much! It has a VERY small amount of color touch but it looked like a brand new book in hand. I'm never seen anything like it.  ended up replacing it with file copy and sold that as well. The MMC #9 was a killer, low grade copy. I'll try to find pics of them all later.

On 1/7/2022 at 10:01 AM, VintageComics said:

OMG, I forgot you sold me the #4 as well, I kept that book for a decade in my personal, I loved it so much! It has a VERY small amount of color touch but it looked like a brand new book in hand. I'm never seen anything like it.  ended up replacing it with file copy and sold that as well. The MMC #9 was a killer, low grade copy. I'll try to find pics of them all later.

The 4 was bonkers. It looked like a reprint. 

In the AF15 thread, current talk on how AF15 values compared to Cap1 in certain grades, like 8.5.  IH#1 in 8.5 sold last year for $275K on CL, so it too has been on a tear and perhaps a trajectory to overtake Cap1 in that grade relatively soon. With the IH#1's popularity and very low SA census, I wouldn't bet against it. As I've posted, I own a couple, but that is b/c I wanted a complete set of his first appearance (the cents + pence versions), like I've done with other megakeys when able.  So it's not about the money, because if it were, these funny books would be too expensive to sit on for someone like me.  When is the next solo Hulk movie!  I can't wait.  

Edit: Cap1 still smoking AF15 and IH1 in lower grades apparently, but the reverse is true between Cap1 and AF15 in grade 8.5, w/ AF15 well ahead of Cap1 in 2009 and again 2021, the only times both books sold in same year in 8.5 for a quick comparison.  Interesting so thought I'd share, to put these SA icons in perspective.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 1/7/2022 at 11:07 AM, october said:

Speaking of nice MMs I still have this beauty you sold me (not to derail the Hulk thread).

173133568_001(91).thumb.jpg.20865281cf29e034cf8b63672ca5cf9a.jpg

This was the #4 you sold me. I'll never see a book from 1940 looking like this again. It was a one in a million. 

1394955917_MarvelMystery4CGC9_0SP.png.d939e49e69d300b2d1f7fb8dab80a385.png

On 1/6/2022 at 11:51 PM, VintageComics said:

So what you're saying is money makes you happy. Got it. 

Wow, this place has changed. It might be time for me to leave for good. I used to love this place. Now I can hardly stand it. 

Don’t mind me. :whistle:

On 1/7/2022 at 10:56 PM, Terry JSA said:

Don’t mind me. :whistle:

What was the video of? It shows unavailable in my country (I'm in Canada so it's blocked)

On 1/10/2022 at 7:19 AM, blazingbob said:

This sale was lower then the Comiclink end of Dec sale of $42,500

...and $2k+ higher than what the 5.5 sold for on comicconnect on December 16.

Startling how much this book has jumped in just a matter of a few weeks. Suddenly everybody wanted one.

-J.

On 1/10/2022 at 7:19 AM, blazingbob said:

This sale was lower then the Comiclink end of Dec sale of $42,500

bob, clearly this means the SA key market is collapsing, as all good boardies know. i recommend you drastically reduce all your SA key prices on highgradecomics.com accordingly asap. 

On 3/17/2022 at 9:14 AM, Pantodude said:

GRRR!  Inspired by a corpse in 1951!  Now that is the strangest tale!  We all know I was the result of a flash of genius in 1962.  Besides, I started out gray-skinned and prefer to be shirtless.  :nyah:

tumblr_pvpzh40TK01tlgqkgo4_540.gif