• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,254 posts in this topic

Here's my very first Hopalong Cassidy thanks to a board member. And it's a double cover too!!!

030_zpsa21b8229.jpg

Neat copy!

From today's perspective it's kind of hard to believe that Hoppy was such a big deal back in the day.

Straight Arrow ... the 20's (I have a coverless of the missing # 22; in fact, I have a coverless for 4 more issues in this range) -

StraightArrow21_zps64675657.jpg

StraightArrow23_zps1078e9fe.jpg (I should have an upgrade of this one somewhere ...)

StraightArrow24_zpsadb3aa99.jpg

StraightArrow25_zps1827b6fd.jpg

StraightArrow28_zpsfc4937dc.jpg

I like those Meagher Straight Arrow covers. The white background ones stand out the most to me.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've never seen a comic with a guy trying to murder a horse with a knife. Great stuff.

This is a nice switch up from Whitman's cover art for Fiction House.

OutlawsoftheWest11fc100_zps52713389.jpg

Straight Arrow ... the 20's (I have a coverless of the missing # 22; in fact, I have a coverless for 4 more issues in this range) -

StraightArrow25_zps1827b6fd.jpg

Very cool! :applause:

Here are some photos I took of the interior of Western Picture Stories #1 before I had it slabbed.

Excuse the poor lighting and the thumbs.

WesternPictureStories1CGC80_zpsc061a9e5.jpg

WPS1page28Allison_zpsdf8f6287-1.jpg

WPS1page11_zps1e0b3a7c.jpg

An early story by a 20 year old Will Eisner.

WPS1page36Eisner_zpsbbb12492.jpg

WPS1page59_zps0115def5.jpg

WPS1centerfoldAllison_zps75a6403f.jpg

Here are some photos I took of the interior of Western Picture Stories #1 before I had it slabbed.

Excuse the poor lighting and the thumbs.

WesternPictureStories1CGC80_zpsc061a9e5.jpg

WPS1page28Allison_zpsdf8f6287-1.jpg

WPS1page11_zps1e0b3a7c.jpg

An early story by a 20 year old Will Eisner.

WPS1page36Eisner_zpsbbb12492.jpg

WPS1page59_zps0115def5.jpg

WPS1centerfoldAllison_zps75a6403f.jpg

Now that's an early western book. :sumo::cloud9: That book must be nearly impossible to locate in HG. I especially like the 2 page "Tense moment" artwork. Kudos for taking the time to share some of the interior artwork. (thumbs u

Now that's an early western book. :sumo::cloud9: That book must be nearly impossible to locate in HG. I especially like the 2 page "Tense moment" artwork. Kudos for taking the time to share some of the interior artwork. (thumbs u

Thanks, and I like the centerfold the best too.

Here's a Two-Gun Kid # 12. AtlasTales attributes tentatively cover and 3 TGK stories to the recently departed Fred Kida. I can't be positive it's him but that's the guess. Whomever it was, the stories are well drawn with very dynamic action. The fourth story is by George Tuska -

Two-GunKid12_zps422ba99c.jpg