• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,254 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Scrooge said:

Thanks for that detail. I was wondering where they came from. Given that they are such beauties and from a tough DC period, are you keeping them or are they going to inventory? I suspect the former.

but we hope the latter!  sweet addition to a great western collection   :golfclap:

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Thanks! I lucked into a pretty nice batch of them from a long-time collector who is thinning the herd a little.

Those books are really great, Richard.  Now you're making me want to start collecting westerns - that's all I need is another genre to spend my money.  I don't whether to thank you or curse you :ohnoez:

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Thanks! I lucked into a pretty nice batch of them from a long-time collector who is thinning the herd a little.

I'd be happy to lasso a couple mavericks. :angel:

4 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Thanks for that detail. I was wondering where they came from. Given that they are such beauties and from a tough DC period, are you keeping them or are they going to inventory? I suspect the former.

There were near complete runs through the '70s of all of the western and war DC titles. I am just keeping the few real high grade pre code issues I posted. The rest will be in inventory as I get them priced and I plan to run a sales thread here next week for as many as I can list before Heroes Con in Charlotte the week after.

10 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

There were near complete runs through the '70s of all of the western and war DC titles

The Westerns barely lasted into 1961. :frown:

18 hours ago, mikeyc67 said:

Great comics Mr B. Some of my favourites!

no # 21 by any chance?

Thanks! Unfortunately no 21, not even a lower grade.

On 5/31/2018 at 3:45 PM, MrBedrock said:

There were near complete runs through the '70s of all of the western and war DC titles. I am just keeping the few real high grade pre code issues I posted. The rest will be in inventory as I get them priced and I plan to run a sales thread here next week for as many as I can list before Heroes Con in Charlotte the week after.

Can't be too many OO collections for which that's true.  Are those the only books he collected?  Unusual collecting interest, if so. 

On 5/31/2018 at 4:02 PM, adamstrange said:

The Westerns barely lasted into 1961. :frown:

Hadn't really thought about this before, but despite the great popularity of Western movies and TV shows during the 1950s, I don't think any of the Western comic books were big sellers.  I could be wrong about that and maybe I'm just reflecting back the relative lack of interest in these books by collectors in the 1960s and 1970s.

23 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Can't be too many OO collections for which that's true.  Are those the only books he collected?  Unusual collecting interest, if so. 

He started buying DC in the early 60s, got involved in fandom around 1970, and collected continuously through present. It would be hard to call this collection OO because it would take lots of work to determine which books were bought off the stands and which were bought later from shops or at shows. For instance a few of the Westerns are Ohio copies that I sold him in the mid 1990s.

Edited by MrBedrock