• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major transaction let-down. Need advice!
3 3

1,251 posts in this topic

Mike-

It wasn't money/greed as john sold to bat-man for less than to matt

It had to do with getting money asap for the medical expenses (I believe that is what john told me in a pm)

Johns error was assuming matt couldn't pay right away without contacting him...there in lies the breach of contract and the issue

Thanks for clarifying Rick! (thumbs u

Right, brought myself up to date and all I can say is...

The ???

From the seller's post, I can't be certain whether he was implying that the death effected this deal or just his ability to post. (shrug) Hopefully he meant the latter, as for all the sympathy I have for anybody who has lost somebody close...and this applies to Yannis...there is no good reason why it should impact on him selling the book to Bat-Man rather than Matt.

I could see the book not being sold at all, due to lack of time to consumate the deal, but to force a sale to a boarder other than the one who had already paid a $500 deposit?

Nah. Anyone who pays a $500 deposit to a total stranger is good for the rest of the money. This is simply a case of the good ole boy club. Matt's not a member, so got shafted royally. In accepting the payment, the deal was sealed and the seller should be utterly ashamed of himself for pulling the book so that his little chum could have it instead.

I'm sure that Yannis won't have any trouble continuing to sell around here...cool books are always worth more than ethics and integrity to many buyers meh ...but to anyone with a sense of fair play, please stear well clear.

Wow, i'm just hearing of this. I think John needs to clarify exactly what happened and why. I can only imagine that it was a money issue (greed). (shrug)

No. It's not a greed issue. Bat-man showed me a snapshot of the paypal transaction. He really did pay $1,500 plus fees...less than what mt1000 said he would have paid -- $1,600.

Why didn't Bat-Man post this himself?

Wow that explanation while tragic is ridiculous. Its almost as bad as blaming an imaginary slow brother ( but no one would ever do that). The family situation is tragfic and ofcourse all our hearts go out BUT that has little to do with switching the sale of a book from one person ( who had a legal agreement ) to another. Shame.

A death in the family can certainly hurt you ability to be on the boards check PMs etc, I lost my Mom Jan 1 so I know what the seller may be dealing with .That being said..

I still would not renegg and sell the book to someone else. for more money if that is in fact what happened.A deal is a deal.We all have tragedys that make us unable to get the computer as much as we would like but the sellers death in the family or whatever he has going on should not stop him from completing the sale

I am not insensitive or trying to downplay the sellers situation but I can understand the buyers point of view..

Sorry for the sellers loss..

A deal is a deal 2c

And i agree with you 100% and i truly am sorry for his lost , but i got screwed for no reason. I myself am going through a loss too my best friend died unexpectedly a week and a half ago ,so Yes it sux

I probably should know better but I want to point out a couple of things. First of all, yannis sold the Tec 37 to bat-man for $100 less than the price he would've sold to mt1000. Obviously, greed was not the motivating factor for breaking the deal. Second, when you have a dying relative, being "unable to get to a computer" should be the least of your worries. Unless you're well off financially, you don't have to worry about medical expenses, funeral costs, and all that entails. I know yannis is not in the "super rich" category.

This goes back to why he sold to bat-man over mt1000. The former paid all in one shot compared to Matt who was planning on dividing time payments into who knows how long (? it's still unclear the time line agreed between mt1000 and yannis). The motivating factor had to be getting the money ASAP from a known buyer the seller has dealt with before, compared to risking credit on a newbie that might flake. The death in the family just reinforces the urgency. Does that make sense?

I think the worst fault on the part of the seller was his promise to sell the Tec 37 to two buyers at the same time. That's basically unethical. But given that he needed the money, he may have been attempting to hedge his risk and not have the sale fall through. I'd just as well ascribe it all to poor communication skills. I don't think the intent here was to rip anyone off, since mt1000 did get his deposit back.

It was to be paid off in a month.

MT1000 contacted the seller week or so before it was sold to to the other boardie to pay the rest in full. and he didn't care about the "downgrade".

The part I am having the most trouble believing is the paid less part. If I had to make a guess that was stated to back up the story given. Based on the $ amount someone was willing to pay for low grade Tecs in the WTB area its hard to swallow.

Edited by BrianR

A death in the family can certainly hurt you ability to be on the boards check PMs etc, I lost my Mom Jan 1 so I know what the seller may be dealing with .That being said..

I still would not renegg and sell the book to someone else. for more money if that is in fact what happened.A deal is a deal.We all have tragedys that make us unable to get the computer as much as we would like but the sellers death in the family or whatever he has going on should not stop him from completing the sale

I am not insensitive or trying to downplay the sellers situation but I can understand the buyers point of view..

Sorry for the sellers loss..

A deal is a deal 2c

And i agree with you 100% and i truly am sorry for his lost , but i got screwed for no reason. I myself am going through a loss too my best friend died unexpectedly a week and a half ago ,so Yes it sux

I probably should know better but I want to point out a couple of things. First of all, yannis sold the Tec 37 to bat-man for $100 less than the price he would've sold to mt1000. Obviously, greed was not the motivating factor for breaking the deal. Second, when you have a dying relative, being "unable to get to a computer" should be the least of your worries. Unless you're well off financially, you don't have to worry about medical expenses, funeral costs, and all that entails. I know yannis is not in the "super rich" category.

This goes back to why he sold to bat-man over mt1000. The former paid all in one shot compared to Matt who was planning on dividing time payments into who knows how long (? it's still unclear the time line agreed between mt1000 and yannis). The motivating factor had to be getting the money ASAP from a known buyer the seller has dealt with before, compared to risking credit on a newbie that might flake. The death in the family just reinforces the urgency. Does that make sense?

I think the worst fault on the part of the seller was his promise to sell the Tec 37 to two buyers at the same time. That's basically unethical. But given that he needed the money, he may have been attempting to hedge his risk and not have the sale fall through. I'd just as well ascribe it all to poor communication skills. I don't think the intent here was to rip anyone off, since mt1000 did get his deposit back.

It was to be paid off in a month.

MT1000 contacted the seller week or so before it was sold to to the other boardie to pay the rest in full. and he didn't care about the "downgrade".

The part I am having the most trouble believing is the paid less part. If I had to make a guess that was stated to back up the story given. Based on the $ amount someone was willing to pay for low grade Tecs in the WTB area its hard to swallow.

Well if Bat-man paid Yannis Paypal personal and Matt paid Yannis normal paypal ,yannis would make more money with PP personal compared to PP normal. Even if its a 100 less.

Edited by 8milemax

[quote name=rockman2008A deal is a deal 2c [/quote]This goes back to why he sold to bat-man over mt1000. The former paid all in one shot compared to Matt who was planning on dividing time payments into who knows how long (? it's still unclear the time line agreed between mt1000 and yannis).

According to Dan, they were actually going to drive over there, pick the book up in person and finalize the deal on Saturday.

DRX

Which would you prefer? Payment by electronic means that's guaranteed all at once.

Or would you rather wait for some stranger who may or may not show up with his friend at your door step after a four-hour drive? And if they do show up, wouldn't you be concerned about the possibility of being beaten up and robbed? The logistics for setting this up is a pain compared to the ease of a quick electronic payment. No?

[quote name=rockman2008A deal is a deal 2c [/quote]This goes back to why he sold to bat-man over mt1000. The former paid all in one shot compared to Matt who was planning on dividing time payments into who knows how long (? it's still unclear the time line agreed between mt1000 and yannis).

According to Dan, they were actually going to drive over there, pick the book up in person and finalize the deal on Saturday.

DRX

Which would you prefer? Payment by electronic means that's guaranteed all at once.

Or would you rather wait for some stranger who may or may not show up with his friend at your door step after a four-hour drive? And if they do show up, wouldn't you be concerned about the possibility of being beaten up and robbed? The logistics for setting this up is a pain compared to the ease of a quick electronic payment. No?

It doesn't matter what one prefers, what matters is what was agreed!

DRX

I would prefer thinking ahead and once my word is given sticking to it. I believe that is an option.

DRX

Good god man, you are defending his actions?

Right, brought myself up to date and all I can say is...

The ???

From the seller's post, I can't be certain whether he was implying that the death effected this deal or just his ability to post. (shrug) Hopefully he meant the latter, as for all the sympathy I have for anybody who has lost somebody close...and this applies to Yannis...there is no good reason why it should impact on him selling the book to Bat-Man rather than Matt.

I could see the book not being sold at all, due to lack of time to consumate the deal, but to force a sale to a boarder other than the one who had already paid a $500 deposit?

Nah. Anyone who pays a $500 deposit to a total stranger is good for the rest of the money. This is simply a case of the good ole boy club. Matt's not a member, so got shafted royally. In accepting the payment, the deal was sealed and the seller should be utterly ashamed of himself for pulling the book so that his little chum could have it instead.

I'm sure that Yannis won't have any trouble continuing to sell around here...cool books are always worth more than ethics and integrity to many buyers meh ...but to anyone with a sense of fair play, please stear well clear.

Wow, i'm just hearing of this. I think John needs to clarify exactly what happened and why. I can only imagine that it was a money issue (greed). (shrug)

No. It's not a greed issue. Bat-man showed me a snapshot of the paypal transaction. He really did pay $1,500 plus fees...less than what mt1000 said he would have paid -- $1,600.

Why didn't Bat-Man post this himself?

Good question. I guess Bat-man will have to answer that himself.

DRX

Good god man, you are defending his actions?

What are friends for?

DRX

Clearly, Yannis is a friend of yours, and I respect the heck out of you trying to do some damage control. But you are not doing yourself any favors here. MT1000 had a deal and not only was living up to it, but had already paid 1/3 of the purchase price. There were no indications of flakeyness or threats of physical violence. Beaten up and robbed? Seriously?