• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,471 posts in this topic

Here's another example of a book I bought raw yesterday. It has enough tecnhincal defects to be mid-grade (notice the bottom right corner cover crease, some minor soiling near the upper spine, and several other small issues not seen in the scan), but it has good colors (not quite as good as the flash photograph depicts), white pages, the asking price ($400) seemed reasonable, I felt very comfortable (with my experience) that it is restoration free, and it sure presents just great in a mylar.

I really like the book and have no desire to upgrade it at this time, especially on something like the 2nd Iron Man, which can get a bit pricey.

Now if this were a GA item, I'd still be jumping for joy but for different reasons. I have close to a hundred raw SA books just like this, and I enjoy having them around and being able to handle and read them without any worries and whenever I want too.

There's an old adage amongst GA collectors that we chase the book while SA collectors chase the label. Not an insult, just an observation. So with a book like this TOS 40 pictured below - and the stack of other similar ones I have - is it money well spent or money wasted?

A rhetorical question for me because I enjoy the books and that's what really counts the most, but I am sincerely interested in other's opinions.

100_7471.jpg

Here's another example of a book I bought raw yesterday. It has enough tecnhincal defects to be mid-grade (notice the bottom right corner cover crease, some minor soiling near the upper spine, and several other small issues not seen in the scan), but it has good colors (not quite as good as the flash photograph depicts), white pages, the asking price ($400) seemed reasonable, I felt very comfortable (with my experience) that it is restoration free, and it sure presents just great in a mylar.

I really like the book and have no desire to upgrade it at this time, especially on something like the 2nd Iron Man, which can get a bit pricey.

Now if this were a GA item, I'd still be jumping for joy but for different reasons. I have close to a hundred raw SA books just like this, and I enjoy having them around and being able to handle and read them without any worries and whenever I want too.

There's an old adage amongst GA collectors that we chase the book while SA collectors chase the label. Not an insult, just an observation. So with a book like this TOS 40 pictured below - and the stack of other similar ones I have - is it money well spent or money wasted?

A rhetorical question for me because I enjoy the books and that's what really counts the most, but I am sincerely interested in other's opinions.

100_7471.jpg

You answered your own question...buy the book, not the label. (thumbs u

This book by the way, is very presentable, and that i think is what matters the most to me. As you mentioned you can take it out and enjoy this puppy any time you want without worrying about being ultra careful. :applause:

Also, It looks as though you got a great deal at just $400.00...congrats!!!!

Here is an example of a SA book that I bought recently, that is not HG but a book I enjoy quite a lot, and a pedigree to boot. It has WHITE/WHITE pages which this ped is also known for. (thumbs u

If looking closely, you can see a noticable flaw (some tape on the spine), but otherwise it is a very nice copy.

I prefer to buy Peds now when purchasing SA books. With so many SA books available, I'd like something to make them a little more unique, and the history of the book does that for me. I know the history of this book, and I am the second owner.

That means something to me. :cloud9:

Of course I understand the tape is a turn-off to most (myself included), but I can live with it, and after all it has been on this book for almost 50 years already, and this book still presents fairly well.

I sold a copy of this book last year that was a nice 8.5 OW, and this copy means more to me than that one did. It's a keeper for me, flaws and all.

As Steve has already stated, I'd prefer to buy the book, not the label.

aikido137.jpg

A friendly warning... there is no cure for Marvel fever. It is rumored that picking up a few SA DC books help mitigate the side effects though...

From one Marvel Maniac to the next.

Do you think this might do the trick?

The label on the medication states... "Slobodian Copy. One dose will do ya!" :shy:

MIS-54.jpg

Killer, (thumbs u :cloud9: I have a severe weakness for Slobodian MIS's, my only "medication" is acquisition :grin:

A friendly warning... there is no cure for Marvel fever. It is rumored that picking up a few SA DC books help mitigate the side effects though...

From one Marvel Maniac to the next.

Do you think this might do the trick?

The label on the medication states... "Slobodian Copy. One dose will do ya!" :shy:

MIS-54.jpg

:o Wow MC! Just seeing that scan is suppressing my Marvel fever a bit... beautiful book man!

Here is my prescription I picked up about 3 weeks ago, but forgot to post it here.

SA high grade Neal Adams Batman book with White pages! :cloud9:

Batman%2520200%2520-%2520CGC%25209.6%2520Universal.jpg

You answered your own question...buy the book, not the label. (thumbs u

This book by the way, is very presentable, and that i think is what matters the most to me. As you mentioned you can take it out and enjoy this puppy any time you want without worrying about being ultra careful. :applause:

Also, It looks as though you got a great deal at just $400.00...congrats!!!!

Here's my favorite recent example from my collection -- recently sold. It's a technical 4.0 but just look at the book. Looks like something I bought off the stands within the last few years. Books like this are my favorites to buy. I remember having a long conversation with a fellow collector who had recently started collecting about what was great about this book when I bought it during a Gold and Silver event at my LCS.

tos57front.jpg

tos57back.jpg

Here's another example of a book I bought a technical 4.0 but just look at the book. Looks like something I bought off the stands within the last few years. Books like this are my favorites to buy. I remember having a long conversation with a fellow collector who had recently started collecting about what was great about this book when I bought it during a Gold and Silver event at my LCS.

tos57front.jpg

Perfect example Trev, what a nicely presenting bright & white copy, all day long. :applause:

I sold a copy of this book last year that was a nice 8.5 OW, and this copy means more to me than that one did. It's a keeper for me, flaws and all.

aikido137.jpg

As usual Joe, we're on the same page. What pedigree is that?

I bought this the other day along with the TOS 40, this copy at VF Guide. While it's obviously not near NM like my FF Annual 4 and FF Annual 5, I'd rather fork over $600 for this raw white-pager than $2,600(?) for a 9.4 slab.

I totally respect the uber-high grade SA books (try finding a 9.8 GA comic), they look just fabulous, yet books like the TOS 40, your FF Annual 2, Trev's TOS 57, and this FF1 Annual are just plain fun to have without having to break the bank.

Marvel Fever, indeed... this book presents better in hand than my poor photographic skills can show.

100_7477-1.jpg

There's an old adage amongst GA collectors that we chase the book while SA collectors chase the label.

Old is right... you've been collecting GA books longer than I've been alive! (I'm 28) lol

:jokealert:

I see myself as simply a comic collector and not a SA collector as I never really limited my collecting focus to the one era. Sure, most of my books are SA, but I have a few GA and BA books thrown in for good measure too. No moderns though... I'll just read those on my iPad or as TPBs. I just simply enjoy picking up the best copies I can at prices I feel are fair for the books I want.

Sometimes it's a 6.5 (like my Daredevil 1) and sometimes it is a 9.8 (like my FF 59).

If I came across 2 copies of a particular book I want that present nearly the same on the exterior, but differ in grade and price based on interior defects I will always take the better overall book for the higher price even if they looked nearly the same once slabbed. Presentation is very important of course, but I prefer a book that is solid in all aspects and not just cover aesthetics. It's just the way I'm wired. (thumbs u

I feel it is safe to say that anyone who has bought a slabbed book has taken at least a little bit of the info on the label (page quality, listed interior defects, etc.) under consideration when deciding on a purchase. So, in a broader sense, I feel anyone who has ever bought a slabbed book could be considered a label chaser (some more extreme than others).

I know this is an SA thread, but I'll show some GA love for you sacentaur!

Supersnipe%2520v2%2520issue%25207%2520-%2520CGC%25209.6%2520Universal.JPG Single top book on the census and a Crowley pedigree copy to boot! :cloud9:

aikido137.jpg

As usual Joe, we're on the same page. What pedigree is that?

I bought this the other day along with the TOS 40, this copy at VF Guide. While it's obviously not near NM like my FF Annual 4 and FF Annual 5, I'd rather fork over $600 for this raw white-pager than $2,600(?) for a 9.4 slab.

I totally respect the uber-high grade SA books (try finding a 9.8 GA comic), they look just fabulous, yet books like the TOS 40, your FF Annual 2, Trev's TOS 57, and this FF1 Annual are just plain fun to have without having to break the bank.

Marvel Fever, indeed... this book presents better in hand than my poor photographic skills can show.

100_7477-1.jpg

The same pedigree as this one, which is another I just picked up (Twin Cities), but is not in hand yet.

1cgc60twincities.jpg

The Twin Cities Marvel Annuals ALL have tape on the spines from 1962-1964.

After that Gary didn't add tape to the Annuals, I have a couple later ones also with no tape (I sold the ASM Annual #2 to a Boardie). Most all that I am aware of have WHITE pages.

Edit: By the way i agree that a nice VF copy is good enough, even though we'd all love to have 9.4 or better copies. If I have to spend upwards of $2000.00 I'd rather purchase GA. (shrug)

Your copy is a nice copy...especially for the price. (thumbs u

Edited by Blind Owl

Holy carp Joe, my just-purchased FF 1 Annual doesn't look as nice as your incoming 6.0. I feel like a second-class citizen already (hehe)....

One more eye-popping bright and white yet flawed SA book that I'll just have to live with. Like the JIM 86 before it, this is probably my top pick in the ASM run.

ASM13stan-1.jpg

Nice fresh looking copy :applause:

This book is so tough to find because of that black spine, I no longer own a copy, but I'd LOVE to find a decent copy (6.0 or better) with a nice spine.

Guess I'm just dreaming though. (shrug)

Nice whites on that one :headbang:

It reminds me of the Twin Cities ASM Annual #1 which I passed on a few months ago because of the tape on the spine. :makepoint:

I've changed my mind now on those now, and will try to pick them up if they come back to the marketplace again. Except for the tape, it was a stunning copy.

Holy carp Joe, my just-purchased FF 1 Annual doesn't look as nice as your incoming 6.0. I feel like a second-class citizen already (hehe)....

Yeah, sure,. look who's talking....you want to trade some Centaurs with me.... :baiting:

Why is that a 4.0. Missing half the back cover??? Oooops I checked the page before. How is that a 4??

Primarily the writing on the front cover, which is not a date stamp nor retailer's mark. It's probably a 6.5-7.5 otherwise, but that writing knocks it down from there.