• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,471 posts in this topic

I bought some Marvel squarebounds from the same OO source, appeared unread, bone white on the inside. Two samples:

AvengersAnn3.jpg

Both Annuals, the FF 4 and especially this one (Avengers...must be a 9.6) are stunning. wow!!! (worship)

Why is that a 4.0. Missing half the back cover??? Oooops I checked the page before. How is that a 4??

Primarily the writing on the front cover, which is not a date stamp nor retailer's mark. It's probably a 6.5-7.5 otherwise, but that writing knocks it down from there.

I just had a book get 8.0 with small writing on it.

Why is that a 4.0. Missing half the back cover??? Oooops I checked the page before. How is that a 4??

Primarily the writing on the front cover, which is not a date stamp nor retailer's mark. It's probably a 6.5-7.5 otherwise, but that writing knocks it down from there.

I just had a book get 8.0 with small writing on it.

scan?

Both Annuals, the FF 4 and especially this one (Avengers...must be a 9.6) are stunning. wow!!! (worship)

Right - raw squarebound 9.4/9.6's, but the stack was mostly all Marvel Tales and Marvel Collectors' Item Classics, and not worth posting here.

However, I sure enjoyed reading the early reprints from old books that were as fresh as the day they were printed. Don't get to do that very often.

Holy carp Joe, my just-purchased FF 1 Annual doesn't look as nice as your incoming 6.0. I feel like a second-class citizen already (hehe)....

Yeah, sure,. look who's talking....you want to trade some Centaurs with me.... :baiting:

Forgive me but I am quite ill being down with a severe case of Marvel Fever at the moment - what are Centaurs?

(:

i'm chiefly a g.a. collector these days, but that doesn't mean that i'm too dense to know that spidey is the high-water mark of the hobby. thus, tho' almost all the s.a. marvel runs are long-gone from my collection, spidey 1-400, as well as all his various s.a. appearances [and the sarge thru 120], remain. the spidey's are almost all raw, but i decided awhile back that i oughtta have 31-33, the greatest comic arc ever conceived, in nice high-grade slabs. finally picked up a 31, so i'm very happy to be able to put this little group up.

asm31.jpg

asm32.jpg

asm33.jpg

OK...too many GA posters here...If this continues the SA Boardies will think we are preparing a coup on their SA threads... :slapfight:

Nice books Billy, I'm with you, grew up on SA Marvels too, and that story arc is top-notch. :headbang:

Very nice ASM slab trio, Parker - 31-33 are next on my list because of your recommendation.

Continung on, I also like the later TOS and TTA's quite a bit, though I realize that they are common. I do think they pack a good bang for the buck, however.

Anyway, picked up a nice batch of a dozen books from each title, supplemented by a few other scattered copies. This TTA 91 is average condition for the batch.

Any love out there for these books (I honestly don't know)?

TTA91.jpg

i'm chiefly a g.a. collector these days, but that doesn't mean that i'm too dense to know that spidey is the high-water mark of the hobby. thus, tho' almost all the s.a. marvel runs are long-gone from my collection, spidey 1-400, as well as all his various s.a. appearances [and the sarge thru 120], remain. the spidey's are almost all raw, but i decided awhile back that i oughtta have 31-33, the greatest comic arc ever conceived, in nice high-grade slabs. finally picked up a 31, so i'm very happy to be able to put this little group up.

asm31.jpg

asm32.jpg

asm33.jpg

The best Spidey run ever. :applause:

Very nice ASM slab trio, Parker - 31-33 are next on my list because of your recommendation.

my pleasure, buddy. and since i don't want to waste a minute of my brush with being influential, let me tell you that the little group below, which i forgot i had 'til i went to the box for the spideys, is TERRIFIC. the iron man v. subby fight rages over three books and two titles. 'tho not noted, the tta 82 is iron man's first x-over outside of tos and the avengers. very late in the marvel age of comics for that x-over to finally take place. outside of the spideys i showed, and ff 48-50, my favorite 3 book story from my formative years of collecting.

imsubbyarc.jpg

I knew about the FF 48-50 (which I have), plus I picked up a sweet FF 55 on Wednesday too, but I had no idea about the trio you posted above.

See, I do have a lot to learn about SA... and these later Marvel books do have value.

my pleasure, buddy. and since i don't want to waste a minute of my brush with being influential, let me tell you that the little group below, which i forgot i had 'til i went to the box for the spideys, is TERRIFIC. the iron man v. subby fight rages over three books and two titles. 'tho not noted, the tta 82 is iron man's first x-over outside of tos and the avengers. very late in the marvel age of comics for that x-over to finally take place. outside of the spideys i showed, and ff 48-50, my favorite 3 book story from my formative years of collecting.

imsubbyarc.jpg

You could add TOS 69-71 also as a great little trio too (1st Titanium man).

Thnx Joe - I'll add that trio to my list.

It's been quite a whirlwind this week, and of all the books I bought on Wednesday, this was the only one that was CGC'd:

100_7482.jpg

Last sampling, a nice duo - I tend to go all-out, so many more books to post and any feedback or advice appreciated. Thnx, STEVE

Spidey39.jpg

Spidey40.jpg

2 all time favorites and 2 nice copies. (thumbs u ASM #39 will always be in my top 5 SA + probably any age covers.

Thnx Joe - I'll add that trio to my list.

It's been quite a whirlwind this week, and of all the books I bought on Wednesday, this was the only one that was CGC'd:

100_7482.jpg

Now THAT is a nice damn book! You don't see HG copies of that every day! And white pages to boot (worship)

I had a HELL of a time just finding my 8.5. That copy you have there is stunning!

IMAG2062.jpg

Could not ask for a better Friday, first the Yanks (with their great throwback jerseys) defeat the sox in their 100th anniv.

And I get these from an OO just a few hours ago. Didnt even bag and board them all yet :)

Does anyone know what the grease pencil marks represent?

XMen6.jpg

Nice books, Steve. I have a CGC 9.4 White paged Spidy 17 with those same grease pencil numbers. I'll have to post it when I get a chance. I have a number of nice Marvels myself, but as you know I prefer DC both Golden and Silver Age. Oh, and thanks for your nice comment about my Captain America Comics 46. Yes, it is a nice 5.0 with OW/W pages and fantastic colors.

Go Kings!!

SLR

Does anyone know what the grease pencil marks represent?

XMen6.jpg

Nice books, Steve. I have a CGC 9.4 White paged Spidy 17 with those same grease pencil numbers. I'll have to post it when I get a chance. I have a number of nice Marvels myself, but as you know I prefer DC both Golden and Silver Age. Oh, and thanks for your nice comment about my Captain America Comics 46. Yes, it is a nice 5.0 with OW/W pages and fantastic colors.

Go Kings!!

SLR

Just an educated guess.....but probably 30 copies received on April 9th. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u