• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,471 posts in this topic

i'm goin' with 9 copies on 4/30 jimbo.

....it does seem possible, but I just figured that most of the early SA Marvels have arrival dates at the beginning of the month. I have seen variations of a week or so on issues....maybe this was a Hawaiian copy or somewhere else overseas, hence the later date. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

Congrat's on the collection - and yes, FF13 is a great book.

Not being familiar with most of the SA pedigrees, I ordered two samples (nothing special) which arrived today.

Me likey.

Western Penn

StrTa_120_WP.jpg

Mound City

TTA_65_Mca.jpg

The image code even indicates white pages! (Every copy I seem to see suffers from browning.)

Off-white-to-white pages, no browning at all (but I will keep that in mind for the future as I *hate* browning, thnx).

IH-3.jpg

Thank you for the very warm welcome guys. MC, it's been a while. And Clouded9, just about every SA book I have is going to qualify as a recent acquisition, so I'll be glad to post scans as I add them to my Photobucket account!

I believe I have some things to learn about SA, and this is going to be the best place to be schooled.

Your Hulk 3 is exacty the type of item that I am talking about when I mention books that present better than their technical grade. Is it a super high grade copy? No, it's not. But it has great colors, shows very well to the eye, and if the page edges are any indication, the insides are nice. I love it.

Yes... it has been a while, Steve.

And thanks for the comment.

By the way, you don't need to be schooled.

You're doing just fine on your own!

--Mitch

There's an old adage amongst GA collectors that we chase the book while SA collectors chase the label. Not an insult, just an observation. So with a book like this TOS 40 pictured below - and the stack of other similar ones I have - is it money well spent or money wasted?

A rhetorical question for me because I enjoy the books and that's what really counts the most, but I am sincerely interested in other's opinions.

100_7471.jpg

After reading the boards for over ten years I'm thinking conspicuous consumption (label chasing) cuts across all comic age stovepipes. ;)

And yes sir-eee bob!

That TOS#40 is one heck of a score. (thumbs u

A friendly warning... there is no cure for Marvel fever. It is rumored that picking up a few SA DC books help mitigate the side effects though...

From one Marvel Maniac to the next.

Do you think this might do the trick?

The label on the medication states... "Slobodian Copy. One dose will do ya!" :shy:

MIS-54.jpg

Killer, (thumbs u :cloud9: I have a severe weakness for Slobodian MIS's, my only "medication" is acquisition :grin:

I'm new to the Slobodian pedigree. Have a couple of 'em and I'm dying for more.

Have a few White Mountain MIS copies, too.

But they don't hold a candle to the Slobodian's. That's for sure.

A friendly warning... there is no cure for Marvel fever. It is rumored that picking up a few SA DC books help mitigate the side effects though...

From one Marvel Maniac to the next.

Do you think this might do the trick?

The label on the medication states... "Slobodian Copy. One dose will do ya!" :shy:

:o Wow MC! Just seeing that scan is suppressing my Marvel fever a bit... beautiful book man!

Here is my prescription I picked up about 3 weeks ago, but forgot to post it here.

SA high grade Neal Adams Batman book with White pages! :cloud9:

Batman%2520200%2520-%2520CGC%25209.6%2520Universal.jpg

That is freaking sweet! (worship)

Batman #200 is the first DC book I ever bought to include in the MC collection.

That cover is classic. One of my favorites (DC covers that is). :)

You could add TOS 69-71 also as a great little trio too (1st Titanium man).

Thnx Joe - I'll add that trio to my list.

It's been quite a whirlwind this week, and of all the books I bought on Wednesday, this was the only one that was CGC'd:

100_7482.jpg

Wednesday?

Did you say Wednesday??

So the family goes for a drive today, down south a ways, and we stop into a LCS that I haven't been to in years.

I start going through the books in the display case and the gal behind the counter and I start a talking. I drop some questions about the books, where they'd come from, and how often new stuff comes through the doors, you know the usual stuff.

As I'm going through the last stack I mention that I'm not finding anything I like. She says I should have been in the store earlier in the week.... before the guy who came in on WEDNESDAY and bought a whole bunch of stuff!

Well then... after reading your posts and see the great scans, I'm starting to wonder just WHO that guy WEDNESDAY was.

(Again... another great find. You, my friend, are on a roll!)

It's been quite a whirlwind this week, and of all the books I bought on Wednesday, this was the only one that was CGC'd:

100_7482.jpg

Wednesday?

Did you say Wednesday??

So the family goes for a drive today, down south a ways, and we stop into a LCS that I haven't been to in years.

I start going through the books in the display case and the gal behind the counter and I start a talking. I drop some questions about the books, where they'd come from, and how often new stuff comes through the doors, you know the usual stuff.

As I'm going through the last stack I mention that I'm not finding anything I like. She says I should have been in the store earlier in the week.... before the guy who came in on WEDNESDAY and bought a whole bunch of stuff!

Well then... after reading your posts and see the great scans, I'm starting to wonder just WHO that guy WEDNESDAY was.

Thnx MC (har!) - the gal behind the counter is Amy and she is a sweetheart. :cloud9:

If you're still looking at 3 parters, ASM 17-19 may be the first....arguably. They all lead into each other and are a very strong storyline. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

100_7482.jpg

Wednesday?

Did you say Wednesday??

Thnx MC (har!) - the gal behind the counter is Amy and she is a sweetheart. :cloud9:

Yes... she was sweet. And quite busy, too!

When we walked into the joint the place was a jumping.

Lotsa folks in the store, and only one of her.

Took an hour or so to go through the display case.

She was all over the store, helping folks here and there. She kept apologizing and I felt like I was intruding.

In the end I didn't even get to thank her as she was busy running something to ground for another customer. Oh well. :(

100_7482.jpg

Wednesday?

Did you say Wednesday??

Yes... she was sweet. And quite busy, too!

When we walked into the joint the place was a jumping.

Lotsa folks in the store, and only one of her.

Took an hour or so to go through the display case.

She was all over the store, helping folks here and there. She kept apologizing and I felt like I was intruding.

In the end I didn't even get to thank her as she was busy running something to ground for another customer. Oh well. :(

That's Amy - I had the same experience on Saturday (store was swamped). When I asked the owner why they do that, they say she can handle it.. and she can.

I still love GA, but am having a lot of fun with Marvel SA right now. And yes, I try to avoid MadMitch as much as possible. :P

Nice books Steve and Marc! :applause:

Holy cow!

You gold guys are all over this thread.

So what's the deal, anyway?

Mad as a Hatter Mitch run you off of the Golden Age board? lol

Well, um... A change is nice sometimes. :)