• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restored AF 15 9.6

182 posts in this topic

Wow, and he didn't even have to pay $30,000 for this NM copy.

The irony, of course, is that there is a chance that it was Chuck who bought it. 27_laughing.gif

Actually Chuck R got it. Sorry, I just love getting those over graded raw books from him. smile.gif

Brian

I'm not going to accuse anyone of wrongdoing either. My only issue is that it's a real bummer to think that you've won a copy of your holy grail and ache with the anticipation of holding that beautiful baby in your hands, only to find out that someone else might have beaten you to it. It would have been one thing if I had seen the book and if it had already shown "sale pending." Then I wouldn't have gotten so excited about it. But the current system definitely leaves a lot of room for buyers to get left with a bad taste in their mouths.

The problem with the current system is that it leaves a lot of opportunity for the sellers on Comiclink, as well as Josh himself, to act in a less than honorable manner. I'm not suggesting that you got screwed in this instance, or that many others have been screwed in this way, but it is definetly a possibility that has to be considered, from a business and common-sense standpoint. And before anyone freaks out, I'll say it again; I'm not suggesting that this has happened, but the way the system is currently set up, it can definetly be screwed around with.

Thanks. It keeps showing up as being for sale, but the guy I spoke to on the telephone says that as long as I got the order confirmation email (I did), it's mine. cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

This is why I have a problem with what is going on. Either you are getting screwed or the person you talked to on the phone needs to learn his job.

FF, what do you think Matt meant by "wreck the grade," in reference to removing color touch? Do you think he means alter the grade by more than .2, or .5 ?

Well it's really a book-by-book kind of decision, but amateur restoration is almost never worth removing so I assumed he meant that. Prime example is color touch with bleedthrough; only way to remove this is by entirely removing the affected paper since it saturates straight through. On a 8.0 or better book, this would devastate the grade.

The thing to remember about restoration removal is that in my opinion, it should be looked at as intentional damage to the comic. If you reverse a tear seal, you're reintroducing the possibility that it will tear even further...if you remove a piece, the paper around the area where the piece was is marginally weaker than it originally was and possibly the hole gets a little bigger if the restorer wasn't careful or didn't use the right kind of paste...if you scrape color touch, then unless the restorer was EXTREMELY precise and only touched exposed areas, you probably will end up having to scrape off some of the original ink on the book because the CT flowed over more than just the color break.

Even if this AF 15 was a 9.2 before the work--which I highly doubt--the odds are usually pretty good that the book following restoration removal will be a slightly lower grade than it originally was before the work was done. On books with amateur resto, then the post-removal grade is SIGNIFICANTLY lower.

Apparently, the system will allow several people to think they "won" the same book until the seller wakes up and confirms availability (even if this takes several days, apparently), at which point all of the other bidders except the first guy get an email stating that they are on the waiting list.

I went through this earlier in the year when I bought a rare Fantastic Four book from ComicLink...but I was lucky and got my buy in before other people. The solution to this problem is rather easy from a programming perspective--in the confirmation screen, it should notify someone who places a buy order that another buy order has already been placed. It could just do this for people who actually place another buy offer, but I really don't see a reason it shouldn't just go to "sale pending" immediately after the first buy offer. I understand that Josh has to verify the seller hasn't sold the book off of ComicLink or doesn't change his mind about selling, but still, from ComicLink's perspective and the perspective of the person who placed the buy offer, the sale definitely is pending and it should note exactly that.

This change is only an hour or two of programming at most--more like 20 minutes to get a simple solution in place for someone who already knows the structure of the application.

Any way you look at this, that book is NOT going to sell for $16,000.00.

It was a nice dream but in reality someone caught wind of this thread and changed their mind in a hurry.

Oh well it was nice while it lasted.

Fantasy - that totally sucks. I would love to see Josh come on here and clarify matters. It seems to me that you totally got screwed and I would love to hear Josh's side of the story. 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

I'm hoping for the best for you,

DAM

I would love to see Josh come on here and clarify matters. It seems to me that you totally got screwed and I would love to hear Josh's side of the story. 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

What's not to understand about Josh's side of the story? Somebody placed a buy order before fantasy did...not all that surprising, but definitely disappointing and it's something he needs to change about the way the site works. It has been this way on Josh's site for years, even back before he got the more dynamic version up...you'd put a buy in and not know for a few hours or until the next day whether you're the one who got it or not.

I agree Ablue, I don't think this Book was EVER Sold, My Guess, Seller Backed out. I Have NO Idea what the Unrestored AF #15 9.6 would Go for, But if it went for 7 Figures it would NOT Surprise me. So why the Seller was "Dumping" his Restored Copy for $16,000 is Beyond me, and Probably he wised up. Still I would be FURIOUS if I were "Fantasy". 893frustrated.gif

What's not to understand about Josh's side of the story? Somebody placed a buy order before fantasy did...not all that surprising, but definitely disappointing and it's something he needs to change about the way the site works. It has been this way on Josh's site for years, even back before he got the more dynamic version up...you'd put a buy in and not know for a few hours or until the next day whether you're the one who got it or not.

I agree. I'm more curious about the 3% credit card surcharge. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would love to see Josh come on here and clarify matters. It seems to me that you totally got screwed and I would love to hear Josh's side of the story. 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

I just don't understand why Fantasy got a confirmation email then? How could there be two confirmation emails (perhaps three?) that went out for the same book?

Thoughts?

I just don't understand why Fantasy got a confirmation email then? How could there be two confirmation emails (perhaps three?) that went out for the same book?

Thoughts?

Bad software design. Same thing happened to Qualitycomix and myself back in January when we both put in a buy on the same book...neither one of us knew until the next day who had won it.

I agree Ablue, I don't think this Book was EVER Sold, My Guess, Seller Backed out.

Since the seller just bought this book 6 months ago for just over $8000, I doubt he backed out...this was QUITE a nice flip.

I'm not convinced this book is worth $16K. If it is, I'm going to start buying mid-grade copies and get them restored up to the 9.2/9.4/9.6 level.

Thoughts?

Bad software design. Same thing happened to Qualitycomix and myself back in January when we both put in a buy on the same book...neither one of us knew until the next day who had won it.

Really? I totally missed the boat on that sublety then! Ouch! sorry.gif

I agree Ablue, I don't think this Book was EVER Sold, My Guess, Seller Backed out.

Since the seller just bought this book 6 months ago for just over $8000, I doubt he backed out...this was QUITE a nice flip.

FF, where did he get this Book for $8000 6 Months ago?? Where did you see this?? I believe you, But This is the 1st I heard of it.

FF, where did he get this Book for $8000 6 Months ago?? Where did you see this?? I believe you, But This is the 1st I heard of it.

ooo.gifooo.gifforeheadslap.gif Try reading this thread thoroughly:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=400047&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1