• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restored AF 15 9.6

182 posts in this topic

Gee, that is not good. Maybe we should come up a nicer name. Just a thought.

I kinda like the name as it helps promote a buyers market.

**Note to self... Stock up before they start calling it the "Purple Label Of Destiny". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My advice.... take it out of the slab, rub it really, really, really hard with Wonder Bread, and re-submit....... wink.gif

Amazing looking comic... I wonder what its history is, did someone have their heart broken on the discovery of restoration, or was it the perpetrator who had it slabbed?

isn't having restoration removed still considered restoration since the book was worked on anyways? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Not if it returns it to it's original state...before restoration... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Has CGC been consulted on this? I'd hate to do this kind of work without getting their grading intentions... confused-smiley-013.gif

...and the very well-thought out listing price makes me believe they're DEFINITELY exaggerating about the possibility of the book being a 9.2...

That was my initial thought when I read the description. If it was 9.2 before restoration, who in their right mind would restore it?!? insane.gif

The description and asking price didn't add up. Still a nice book at the price however, I'm not denying that...

gotta agree with both of you on this point - why screw around with an AF 9.2??

also, why sell an AF 9.6 resto for $16,000 if you believe that it could be reversed to a 9.2 (approx value $40-60K??). especially when the seller appears to be SO knowledgable??

having said that, i think that this is a freakin' STEAL at $16K. if the 9.4 just sold for $122,000 (?), what would a 9.6 (blue) brought to market actually command??

it's only a matter of time (IMO) before resto's become more popular.

this ranks as perhaps the most presentable copy of the most KEY book of the Silver Age. my undying admiration to Fantasy for having the cajones to jump on this like he did acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

isn't having restoration removed still considered restoration since the book was worked on anyways? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

No, because restoration removal makes the book WORSE. Restoration removal doesn't restore the original state, it restores a previous state of degradation. Besides, if you remove all the restoration, it's undetectable.

...and the very well-thought out listing price makes me believe they're DEFINITELY exaggerating about the possibility of the book being a 9.2...

That was my initial thought when I read the description. If it was 9.2 before restoration, who in their right mind would restore it?!? insane.gif

Danny.

No, because restoration removal makes the book WORSE. Restoration removal doesn't restore the original state, it restores a previous state of degradation. Besides, if you remove all the restoration, it's undetectable.

I understand that at some point it is only semantics, but it doesn't make the book worse, or you wouldn't be doing it. Also, the fact that it is undetectable is irrelevant, if it was possible to duplicate the original inks used to recover bare spots on comics, that would be undetectable and still restoration.

Which leads me to my question for you FF ( or POV ), why haven't I heard more about people trying to duplicate the original printing techniques to restore comics ? Is it possible this is already being done? Excuse my ignorance, but somehow it almost sounds feasible to me.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I understand that at some point it is only semantics, but it doesn't make the book worse, or you wouldn't be doing it.

So what do you think? Does taking a sharp edge and scraping away color touch improve the aesthetics of the book? What if fantasyfootball took a pair of scissors and sliced away a 1/2" chunk of the upper-left corner where the piece replacement is...would that be restoration to you because you're REMOVING restoration? I would argue that removing restoration definitely makes a book worse, but in a marketplace where people are afraid of investment loss due to undisclosed restoration, removing the physical manifestation of that fear seems to put their minds at ease. frown.gif

Which leads me to my question for you FF ( or POV ), why haven't I heard more about people trying to duplicate the original printing techniques to restore comics ? Is it possible this is already being done? Excuse my ignorance, but somehow it almost sounds feasible to me.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Feasible, yes...too expensive and complex to be worthwhile, also yes.

Danny.

the key words being 'in their right mind'...but ya got me there... insane.gif

I'd agree with those who say keep it in the slab. If you're looking to sell, you could probably flip it now & make some cash but I'd wait for the Spidey 2 movie before unloading it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree with cracking it out of the slab and reading it while on the "throne" in the can, or while eating PB and J sandwich with a side of extra saucy lasgna and fold back the cover so you only need one hand to read it devil.gif

I agree with cracking it out of the slab and reading it while on the "throne" in the can, or while eating PB and J sandwich with a side of extra saucy lasgna and fold back the cover so you only need one hand to read it devil.gif

How about sending it in to CGG & hoping for an unrestored label? confused-smiley-013.gif

How about sending it in to CGG & hoping for an unrestored label? confused-smiley-013.gif

"We have a Winner!" 893applaud-thumb.gif

I want to own it, not sell it. I am not buying the book to flip.

On a side note, I got a call from Josh at Comiclink. I had left a message with his assistant saying that I wanted to talk to him about his 3% surcharge for credit card transactions. When I spoke to the assistant, mine was the only order (I had literally placed it within minutes of the auction being posted). Today, after he apparently received the message from his assistant about my wanting to discuss the legality of the surcharge with him (he mentioned receiving my message about the surcharge in the voice mail he left) I get a call from Josh saying, "Sorry, but there was another bid in front of you so you're on the waiting list." Sounds like a hunk of BS to me, especially since I got the order confirmation email after submitting the order. I plan to get to the bottom of this, and if the book gets sold to someone else, I'm going to be mad.

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

I'd agree with those who say keep it in the slab. If you're looking to sell, you could probably flip it now & make some cash but I'd wait for the Spidey 2 movie before unloading it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif