• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restored AF 15 9.6

182 posts in this topic

Impossible for us to know who it "sold" to (Private auction). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

...to dissuade the "Thrill/Joy-Bidders" that are generally attracted to books of this nature in these extreme grades? confused.gif

Impossible for us to know who it "sold" to (Private auction). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

...to dissuade the "Thrill/Joy-Bidders" that are generally attracted to books of this nature in these extreme grades? confused.gif

Yes & perhaps to encourage the thrill bidding consignors that are generally attached to books in their possession? confused.gif

tongue.gif

Go look on Heritage, this is definitely the exact same copy that DiceX referred to in the third post in this thread which sold for $8100 or so.

How in the "H E Double Hockey Sticks" did That Book only go for 8 G's in July???? Oh Brother, I missed another Boat!!! sleeping.gif

It's very simple to miss a book like this. Most collectors or investors/speculators will skip right by a listing when they see that the book is in a purple slab. They simply don't even bother to take a look at the book, let alone read the description to see the actual extent of restoration.

I think this attitude towards restored books is starting to change and will continue to change as people realize what they are potentially passing up. You can see this in the AF #15 sale along with the recent Action #1 sale for $110K.

Just imagine what would happen if CGC ever decided to implement a restoration rating system similar to their current 10-point grading system. Purchasers will then be able to more clearly differentiate between slight restoration from extensive restoration and make their purchases based upon a more informed decision.

This book sold in the Heritage auction at San Diego last summer for a little over $8,000. It is not going to get $30,000, let alone six figures. An unrestored 9.4 got 122K. No way will a PLOD 9.6 get near that.

I agree Ablue, I don't think this Book was EVER Sold, My Guess, Seller Backed out. I Have NO Idea what the Unrestored AF #15 9.6 would Go for, But if it went for 7 Figures it would NOT Surprise me. So why the Seller was "Dumping" his Restored Copy for $16,000 is Beyond me, and Probably he wised up. Still I would be FURIOUS if I were "Fantasy". 893frustrated.gif

This wasn't a mid-grade copy before restoration. There was a tiny (1/16 inch) piece added near the corner, a 1/16 inch tear seal, and three hits of color touch about 1/16 long each. That's next to nothing.

I agree Ablue, I don't think this Book was EVER Sold, My Guess, Seller Backed out.

Since the seller just bought this book 6 months ago for just over $8000, I doubt he backed out...this was QUITE a nice flip.

I'm not convinced this book is worth $16K. If it is, I'm going to start buying mid-grade copies and get them restored up to the 9.2/9.4/9.6 level.

Heritage's pre-auction estimate for the book at $3,000+. It went for almost three times that, and it did sell. GPAnalysis shows the sale.

tongue.gif

Go look on Heritage, this is definitely the exact same copy that DiceX referred to in the third post in this thread which sold for $8100 or so.

How in the "H E Double Hockey Sticks" did That Book only go for 8 G's in July???? Oh Brother, I missed another Boat!!! sleeping.gif

Whoa! This really smells rotten! Two issues here that need to be addressed.....

(1) The surcharge for credit cards is ILLEGAL and was supposedly addressed earlier and the practice stopped. What happened between then and now? Was the practice ever stopped? Was Josh just yanking our chain?

(2) How can a buyer who's has confirmation through e-mail and verbally suddenly not win the comic? A major explanation is needed. And something more than a computer glitch.....

If I was you Fantasy, I'd be furious and demanding an explanation.

Jim

Heritage's pre-auction estimate for the book at $3,000+.

Haha I remember that.. I was so disappointed when I was outbid at $5500 with about 2 hours to go... I remember wondering what insufficiently_thoughtful_person was willing to pay double what Heritage expected for the book. lol... guess I was the insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Looking back I still don't totally know what I was thinking... $8k was a steal for that book. Actually there were a lot of restored books that sold dirt cheap in last year's Heritage auctions... this is only one of several I regret not picking up!

Anyway, good luck with this. I hope everything is resolved in your favor. If it isn't though, and you would still like to buy an AF15, let me know and I will hook you up with one at a good price.

(1) The surcharge for credit cards is ILLEGAL and was supposedly addressed earlier and the practice stopped. What happened between then and now? Was the practice ever stopped? Was Josh just yanking our chain?

He describes it differently now. ComicLink charges a 3% winner's premium on all lots, but that premium is waived if you pay cash. Since it's effectively the same as an explicit surcharge, I doubt it would hold up in court if it ever went that far.

(2) How can a buyer who's has confirmation through e-mail and verbally suddenly not win the comic? A major explanation is needed. And something more than a computer glitch.....

The e-mail doesn't say you've won the item yet, it says your buy order was placed and you've got to wait for the seller to finalize the deal. Not a glitch, just bad design...it should inform you that you're not the first person to place a buy order.