• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restored AF 15 9.6

182 posts in this topic

Apparently he hasn't waived the fee, since he mentioned that it's mandatory for credit card purchases when he left the message. 893frustrated.gif This whole episode is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth for Comiclink, I have to say. This wouldn't happen on ebay or Heritage. If you pop the Buy It Now on ebay, there is no way anyone else can also do the same.

maybe the seller read these posts and has second thought's of selling it. 893naughty-thumb.gif as for the 3% credit card fee, i thought josh waived that after the whole fiasco on here. confused-smiley-013.gif

What a great thread! Very helpful stuff, FF - yer a font, I tellya! FantasyFootball, do keep us posted each step of the way if possible!

FF, what do you think Matt meant by "wreck the grade," in reference to removing color touch? Do you think he means alter the grade by more than .2, or .5 ?

The only bid on it was a bid for either 9,000 or 12,000. I doubt the seller would sell for that considering you put a full price buy on the table. Unless someone simultaneously "bought" the book, you should have it. When I chose to "buy" a couple on there they immediately went to SP.

Brian

Unless someone simultaneously "bought" the book, you should have it.

The odds of two people simultaneously buying the book down to the timing of the last click is virtually zero. More likely somebody contacted Josh afterwards offering more money and/or asking for preferential treatment as a regular customer. The only other plausible explanations are that the seller got cold feet or Josh decided not to sell the book to FantasyFootball dude because he argued with the credit card surcharge.

Gene

I didn't argue with the surcharge. I told his assistant that I wanted to buy the book, but that I didn't want to pay by credit card because of the surcharge (which would still result in my paying for the book, whether by money order or whatever). I also indicated that credit card surcharges are illegal in my state (CA) and his (NY), and asked him to have Josh call me so that we could discuss his surcharge practice.

I just spoke to Josh and was told that there was someone else who bid on the book an hour before I did. Josh said that the book was listed at some point within an hour of 5:00 p.m. eastern time (he said the exact time, but I didn't write it down). Josh said that the time of the prior Buy order was approx. 8:11 p.m. eastern time. My Buy order was at about 9:30 eastern time. Someone else entered a Buy bid at about 10:55 eastern time. At about 12:30 eastern time, the Sale Pending sign went up. Josh tells me that the Sale Pending sign does not go up until the seller confirms that the book is available. Apparently, the system will allow several people to think they "won" the same book until the seller wakes up and confirms availability (even if this takes several days, apparently), at which point all of the other bidders except the first guy get an email stating that they are on the waiting list. I mentioned that this is an extremely aggravating system, and Josh said he'd work on it. In the meantime, I have to hope that the buyer flakes on making payment within 7 days, and if he does, I am first in line to buy the book. I was having a great day until I got that 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif phone message. And Josh, if you're reading this, I understand that's the system, but it is unfortunate that my first experience with Comiclink was one of the biggest downers of all of my 25 years of collecting. sorry.gif

Unless someone simultaneously "bought" the book, you should have it.

The odds of two people simultaneously buying the book down to the timing of the last click is virtually zero. More likely somebody contacted Josh afterwards offering more money and/or asking for preferential treatment as a regular customer. The only other plausible explanations are that the seller got cold feet or Josh decided not to sell the book to FantasyFootball dude because he argued with the credit card surcharge.

Gene

I will keep everyone posted, but I'm not optimistic that there will be a happy ending in it for me. confused-smiley-013.gif

What a great thread! Very helpful stuff, FF - yer a font, I tellya! FantasyFootball, do keep us posted each step of the way if possible!

FF, what do you think Matt meant by "wreck the grade," in reference to removing color touch? Do you think he means alter the grade by more than .2, or .5 ?

Sounds like it could be BS to me. Obviously the system must show these orders some way or another. Ask him to show you this buy order. It would be extremely odd for someone to have bought it.. JUST AS I made the post on here. ESPECIALLY if the book was truly listed at 5:33. So that leaves 1 hour 30 min, and it just so happens right when I make my post.. it sells? :\

Brian

they really do need to fix their system. good luck fantasyfootball 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

This couldn't be any more true. It shouldn't be difficult to have the system change it to "Sale Pending" when the system receives a full price offer. This blind game of who came first seems like it could lead to favoritism.

Brian

Admit it you SOB, you called Metro right after you told me about the book, and they called Josh with an offer of a long-standing business relationship, whereas he viewed me as a one-time-only, no-repeat buyer. DAMN YOU TO HELL, Murph0!!!!! How dare you stand in the way of my quest?!?!

(Disclaimer for Ian Levine's benefit -- this is a joke post.)

Sounds like it could be BS to me. Obviously the system must show these orders some way or another. Ask him to show you this buy order. It would be extremely odd for someone to have bought it.. JUST AS I made the post on here. ESPECIALLY if the book was truly listed at 5:33. So that leaves 1 hour 30 min, and it just so happens right when I make my post.. it sells? :\

Brian

The problem with the current system is that it leaves a lot of opportunity for the sellers on Comiclink, as well as Josh himself, to act in a less than honorable manner. I'm not suggesting that you got screwed in this instance, or that many others have been screwed in this way, but it is definetly a possibility that has to be considered, from a business and common-sense standpoint. And before anyone freaks out, I'll say it again; I'm not suggesting that this has happened, but the way the system is currently set up, it can definetly be screwed around with.