• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restored AF 15 9.6

182 posts in this topic

This wasn't a mid-grade copy before restoration. There was a tiny (1/16 inch) piece added near the corner, a 1/16 inch tear seal, and three hits of color touch about 1/16 long each. That's next to nothing.

Perhaps not, but there are certain books in the 6.5 to 7.5 range which could be restored to very high grades yet still get the same types of label comment as this AF 15 CGC 9.6. Not every book on the border between mid-grade and high-grade is a candidate, but an uncommon few are.

I feel like calling to verify that guy's description of the resto...I'd like to verify where the "color touch" label note falls within the ranges of the other descriptors like "very small amount," "small amount," or "moderate amount." I assume it's between small and moderate, but who knows. confused-smiley-013.gif

This wasn't a mid-grade copy before restoration. There was a tiny (1/16 inch) piece added near the corner, a 1/16 inch tear seal, and three hits of color touch about 1/16 long each. That's next to nothing.

I agree Ablue, I don't think this Book was EVER Sold, My Guess, Seller Backed out.

Since the seller just bought this book 6 months ago for just over $8000, I doubt he backed out...this was QUITE a nice flip.

I'm not convinced this book is worth $16K. If it is, I'm going to start buying mid-grade copies and get them restored up to the 9.2/9.4/9.6 level.

Considering the amount of restoration and the grade BEFORE restoration, this book was one of the highest unrestored books in existence.

IF this book had only the minor work done, then as an investor this copy would be the ultimate catch.

If you have an UNRESTORED selling in the 122k range, then think about it, this copy was a supposed 9.2 before restoration.

So you get a 122k book for 16k, and the difference is microscopic, This book should easily sell for $30,000 to an intelligent investor as obviously the main objective would be to reverse the work done since it was professional.

He describes it differently now. ComicLink charges a 3% winner's premium on all lots, but that premium is waived if you pay cash. Since it's effectively the same as an explicit surcharge, I doubt it would hold up in court if it ever went that far.

Agreed. Nonetheless, it's still a surcharge and contrary to what he posted on these boards.

The e-mail doesn't say you've won the item yet, it says your buy order was placed and you've got to wait for the seller to finalize the deal. Not a glitch, just bad design...it should inform you that you're not the first person to place a buy order.

Regardless, Fantasy got a verbal confirmation that his was the only buy order. Couple this with the e-mail and it sounds like he's getting screwed royally.

Jim

That really sucks, FantasyFootball... it's one thing to lose an auction, and another to be told you've won and then have victory snatched from your clutches. Here's hoping it all works out for the best...

Sounds like their web site needs a technical revamp---fantasticfour, have you e-mailed Josh for a quote confused-smiley-013.gif

Regardless, Fantasy got a verbal confirmation that his was the only buy order.

Since I've gotten those confirmation e-mails myself when buying from ComicLink, I'm pretty sure fantasy assumed his was the only buy order because it didn't indicate anything to the contrary; it doesn't explicitly say "you are the only buyer and you will definitely be receiving this book." I assumed the same thing as he did when I first got my confirmation of the buy order placement, as would almost anyone since that's how E-Bay works with "buy-it-now"...it's just bad practice that Josh needs to look into changing.

I read the last one I got extremely carefully since I knew other people had placed buy orders but I didn't know whether they had placed them before or after me. Can't remember the exact wording, but it clearly says the sale isn't complete yet and you will be notified once it is complete.

Since I've gotten those confirmation e-mails myself when buying from ComicLink, I'm pretty sure fantasy assumed his was the only buy order because it didn't indicate anything to the contrary; it doesn't explicitly say "you are the only buyer and you will definitely be receiving this book."

Yeah, but in this post fantasy-dude got live confirmation that everythings' kosher if he receives the email. If this is false, it sounds like Josh needs to upgrade his customer service reps as well as his software. insane.gif

Alan

He describes it differently now. ComicLink charges a 3% winner's premium on all lots, but that premium is waived if you pay cash. Since it's effectively the same as an explicit surcharge, I doubt it would hold up in court if it ever went that far.

Agreed. Nonetheless, it's still a surcharge and contrary to what he posted on these boards.

The e-mail doesn't say you've won the item yet, it says your buy order was placed and you've got to wait for the seller to finalize the deal. Not a glitch, just bad design...it should inform you that you're not the first person to place a buy order.

Regardless, Fantasy got a verbal confirmation that his was the only buy order. Couple this with the e-mail and it sounds like he's getting screwed royally.

Jim

this TOTALLY SUCKS.

e-mail AND verbal confirmation!!!

this JOSH dude should get on here and voice his side of the story before the bad PR costs him large down the road. (i, for one, was seriously considering them for my first ever sale of my Original collection). this has totally turned me off. BUT, i expect there's more to this than what we've heard, so why not nip this in the bud?? and what's with this 3% buyers premium?? on all sales??

this community is sufficiently small that the real buyer or real "deal" may wind up getting disclosed some day, anyway.

Fantasy; you have my sincere condolences - wanna blue label 5.5??? grin.gif

What have you got? PM me and let me know.

Heritage's pre-auction estimate for the book at $3,000+.

Haha I remember that.. I was so disappointed when I was outbid at $5500 with about 2 hours to go... I remember wondering what insufficiently_thoughtful_person was willing to pay double what Heritage expected for the book. lol... guess I was the insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Looking back I still don't totally know what I was thinking... $8k was a steal for that book. Actually there were a lot of restored books that sold dirt cheap in last year's Heritage auctions... this is only one of several I regret not picking up!

Anyway, good luck with this. I hope everything is resolved in your favor. If it isn't though, and you would still like to buy an AF15, let me know and I will hook you up with one at a good price.

I was told over the phone that I was the confirmed winner and that it was mine as soon as I paid for it. The email said nothing to contradict that. It was an order confirmation email.

Since I've gotten those confirmation e-mails myself when buying from ComicLink, I'm pretty sure fantasy assumed his was the only buy order because it didn't indicate anything to the contrary; it doesn't explicitly say "you are the only buyer and you will definitely be receiving this book." I assumed the same thing as he did when I first got my confirmation of the buy order placement, as would almost anyone since that's how E-Bay works with "buy-it-now"...it's just bad practice that Josh needs to look into changing.

I read the last one I got extremely carefully since I knew other people had placed buy orders but I didn't know whether they had placed them before or after me. Can't remember the exact wording, but it clearly says the sale isn't complete yet and you will be notified once it is complete.

I'm still waiting to see what happens with the Purple 9.6 for $16K, but how much ya want for the 5.5? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Jim

this TOTALLY SUCKS.

e-mail AND verbal confirmation!!!

this JOSH dude should get on here and voice his side of the story before the bad PR costs him large down the road. (i, for one, was seriously considering them for my first ever sale of my Original collection). this has totally turned me off. BUT, i expect there's more to this than what we've heard, so why not nip this in the bud?? and what's with this 3% buyers premium?? on all sales??

this community is sufficiently small that the real buyer or real "deal" may wind up getting disclosed some day, anyway.

Fantasy; you have my sincere condolences - wanna blue label 5.5??? grin.gif

Wow, so much has gone on since I read this post yesterday morning. Murph0, again with the keen eye for a deal. He pointed out a great deal on a Spidey Book on Heritage for me. Fantasy, I am sorry to hear about this. I know you are very dissappointed. I don't think it is fair at all. I have a new appreciation for PLOD books now. You have to really look at the amount of work on a book. I have a DD #1 CGC 8.5 PLOD with one hit of color touch which I almost sold as a purple label to catch the DD movie wave instead of getting the restoration removed and resubmitting for a blue label (I knew I didn't have time). I put a reasonably high BIN which got hit instantly. Luckly the buyer did not pay in a timely matter (2 weeks) which allowed me to back out out the deal and keep the book.

I was told over the phone that I was the confirmed winner and that it was mine as soon as I paid for it. The email said nothing to contradict that. It was an order confirmation email.

Goodness...

Another wheels are in motion thread!? shocked.gif

I wonder how long before this gets the ax? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

"I wonder how long before this gets the ax?"

This thread shouldn't get the axe at all. It's a good thread, about a great comic, that was offered by a great seller!

You have to remember what the contents of the exchange that Fantasy had with Link. It appears as though this link hit the forum at 9:11PM. Fantasy, learning of the comic on the Link site, hit the "Buy It" soon after that. Josh also said that, "1st activation of the Buy It on his site occured at app. 8:11PM (1 full hour before this thread even appeared on this Forum). Fantasy could not have been the first one to hit the Buy It because he's already said that he learned of the AF15 through this Forum!

Comiclink isn't an actual auction site, per say, like Ebay. On Ebay, there are stated reserves and there is a finite close for each auction. Also, all bids, their amounts, and the Ebayers who are bidding can be monitored by all right down to the scheduled end. On Link's site, you do get to make bids, but not like in an actual auction. You are making offers against a fixed asking price, that may be lowered from the asking price, and your bid accepted if you make the right offer.

Personally, I prefer Link's way of selling. I think it's better to see the actual asking price and have the opportunity to run up offers on it than be bidding in a time-finite auction of a comic you want with an unstated reserve. On Link, there's definitely no last minute "bump", no reason for shill bidding, and no frustration of bidding on books with astronomical reserves that will never be met!

"I wonder how long before this gets the ax?"

This thread shouldn't get the axe at all. It's a good thread, about a great comic, that was offered by a great seller!

I don't think it get the ax should as well.

But I didn't think the other one should have been pulled either, but it was. shy.gif

>>and what's with this 3% buyers premium?? on all sales??<<

From my experience, ComicLink is just one of several dealers that charges the buyer for their cost of doing business by credit card. It seems the norm at shows as well, where one can usually get a better price using cash than credit. If you write ComicLink a check,there is no additional fee, and the 3% credit card purchasing fee is spelled out as part of their checkout procedure.

Fantasyfootball - - Im sorry you went through this. I know th eexcitement of winning a cool book. But to have ot fall apart due to a "misunderstanding" sucks. Sorry.

But Im not one of the posters here who think it was such a steal. It was still a retored book. And as much as it makes sense that collectors' opinions on PLOD books will change appreciably in the positive direction in the future, its not a given! Its still a greater risk than buying a HG blue-label book.

So try to look on the bright side that you may have been spared a bad buy..

I guess I don't see it that way. The book was worth $16K to me. It was clearly a very high grade AF#15 before restoration, and with the miniscule restoration it has, it is tied for the nicest graded copy in existence. I had no plans to sell the book within the next three decades, so I didn't really care what the market would bear for the book at this point.

But now that you mention it, as far as how the market would value this book, it is worth noting that at least three people submitted buy orders on the book at $16,000 within six hours of the auction being listed.

Fantasyfootball - - Im sorry you went through this. I know th eexcitement of winning a cool book. But to have ot fall apart due to a "misunderstanding" sucks. Sorry.

But Im not one of the posters here who think it was such a steal. It was still a retored book. And as much as it makes sense that collectors' opinions on PLOD books will change appreciably in the positive direction in the future, its not a given! Its still a greater risk than buying a HG blue-label book.

So try to look on the bright side that you may have been spared a bad buy..

Don't forget there was also a bid of at least 9,000 on it prior to your buy order too. It looks like a ton of people missed seeing this book in the Heritage auction. I definately would've given it a shot at 8,000

Brian