• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
9 9

4,945 posts in this topic

On 3/24/2022 at 6:47 AM, valiantman said:

I'm asking how we (as a Dave Stevens topic) didn't already discuss the Alien Worlds #2 cover that sold for $120,000 in April 2021 (last year)?  I scroll this topic back to April 2021 discussion and... nothing.

Classic, but what do you think would be his most valuable piece if it were to come to auction?

If he didn't have at least a few million dollar paintings, I'd be surprised, 

On 3/24/2022 at 10:37 AM, jdandns said:
On 3/24/2022 at 8:47 AM, valiantman said:

I'm asking how we (as a Dave Stevens topic) didn't already discuss the Alien Worlds #2 cover that sold for $120,000 in April 2021 (last year)?  I scroll this topic back to April 2021 discussion and... nothing.

Classic, but what do you think would be his most valuable piece if it were to come to auction?

If he didn't have at least a few million dollar paintings, I'd be surprised, 

On 3/24/2022 at 10:51 AM, godzilla43 said:

I think back cover for Starslayer 2 would sell for more at least.

I agree that the back cover of Starslayer 2 should be the most valuable line art page due to the importance to the comic/entertainment industry and Stevens' legacy, but high dollar art collectors sometimes prefer composition more than context.

A detailed (laborious) painting is likely to be the most valuable piece, but I know I haven't memorized all his works enough to know which ones are at the top.

Edited by valiantman

On 3/24/2022 at 8:47 AM, valiantman said:

Gotcha! Yes, that's a very notable sale for sure!! That's a big-boy table hammer price...

On 3/15/2022 at 11:38 AM, F For Fake said:

A couple of lesser known Dave books. You know, no babes, so less interest, generally. The JKC cover is Dave over Kirby, obviously. Dave didn't sign it, but is credited as such on the cover credits. Not sure if he just did inks, or if he also did the colors.

picop.jpg

IMG_4640.JPG

jkccop.jpg

Nice Time Machine book. Very hard to find in such good shape.

Dave's card from the 1994 Madman boxed 50 card set which featured pinup art of Michael Allred's characters by a list of big name artists.

I used to take this conveniently small set with me to SD Comic-Con in the hopes of getting them signed by the artist.

It was already too late for Kirby (and maybe a couple of others) when I started, but I did end up with 26 different.

Sure am glad to have this one...

stevensMM.jpg

stevensMMb.jpg

On 5/1/2022 at 6:21 PM, jdandns said:

Dave's card from the 1994 Madman boxed 50 card set which featured pinup art of Michael Allred's characters by a list of big name artists.

I used to take this conveniently small set with me to SD Comic-Con in the hopes of getting them signed by the artist.

It was already too late for Kirby (and maybe a couple of others) when I started, but I did end up with 26 different.

Sure am glad to have this one...

stevensMM.jpg

stevensMMb.jpg

:x

@F For Fake

On 5/22/2022 at 1:37 PM, mytastebud said:

I have a beautiful copy of the Rocketeer Official Movie Adaptation $5.95. Could someone do me the favor of looking at the CGC Census on that book?:wishluck:

The census is open to anyone.

On 5/22/2022 at 5:42 PM, OtherEric said:

And, because this thread has gone too long without some art, from a dollar bin book I grabbed last week:

Who's Who 4.jpg

That's cool! Never seen that pin up before. 

On 5/22/2022 at 5:08 PM, deadleg said:

That's cool! Never seen that pin up before. 

It's from the original Who's Who in the DC Universe series, for the Golden Age Catwoman.  I need to track down the other two with Stevens art, I probably have them somewhere in storage but nowhere convenient.