• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dentist
2 2

173 posts in this topic

I once bought a $180 Fawcett from him. I wasn't happy with the book, and asked him if I could exchange it for a $180 DC he had for sale.

He replied that a $180 Fawcett isn't worth as much as a $180 DC. hm

You should have asked him to pencil a nice Church code on the Fawcett to make you feel better.

Why not? He's done it to other books.

:mad:

I once bought a $180 Fawcett from him. I wasn't happy with the book, and asked him if I could exchange it for a $180 DC he had for sale.

You should have asked him to pencil a nice Church code on the Fawcett to make you feel better.

Roy, bringing the cheese, I also heard he and some Geppi guy marked up bunch a books to look like and sell off as Church copies, :angel:

Please do go on...I'm curious.

Me too please....

I have a hard time believing Geppi was involved in such shenanigans. Always seemed like an upright, nice guy to me.

I don't know that Geppi was involved but allegedly the Dentist did it. It's been talked about here on the boards.

Roy, bringing the cheese, I also heard he and some Geppi guy marked up bunch a books to look like and sell off as Church copies, :angel:

Looking for me? Where are we going, Roy? :insane:

Me too please....

Me three. Details, please...

Me too please....

Me three. Details, please...

..and still waiting :taptaptap:

It is a very taboo subject, and people will reference it from time to time but it never get's discussed in depth with most people hoping the subject goes away. What Roy said is accurate from all accounts but it's all you'll see said on the subject in a public forum.

Jim

It is a very taboo subject, and people will reference it from time to time but it never get's discussed in depth with most people hoping the subject goes away. What Roy said is accurate from all accounts but it's all you'll see said on the subject in a public forum.

Jim

I have seen it referenced on the boards before but don't know any of the details. I would like to know them though. If this story is true, everyone should know about it. If it's not true then the remarks should stop. Some of the comments have come from well respected board members so I must assume the stories have merit. Are people worried about lawsuits ? (shrug)

Jim

This thread just got very interesting

Jim

This thread just got very interesting

hm

If he's not selling them he wouldn't care.

Bingo.

I also think that as time has gone by he realizes that those two particular books will have much more of an aura surrounding them as long as they remain unslabbed. The speculation about grade and value will continue to be fodder for new chat-board threads, convention discussions, and collector's fantasies until the moment the books are graded and/or sold. All of the talk adds to the perceived value in the long run. I would bet that the three million dollar books all hit those prices exactly because Dave's books have not been graded.

I couldn't agree more. The mystique of the books unslabbed is fascinating . It would be cool to see a 9.4 or 9.6 on them someday.

When I look at Eric Roberts AF15 in that grade, I get woozy!

By the way, I met the dentist in Baltimore and he was carrying a box of GA with him. I asked him if I could look at them and were they for sale but he refered me to his ad in Overstreet and walked away. Strange and unfriendly but conventions are a busy place with lots of people to see when you have a box of top of the line comics.

bb

What is the company name or the ad placed under in the overstreet?

If he's not selling them he wouldn't care.

Bingo.

I also think that as time has gone by he realizes that those two particular books will have much more of an aura surrounding them as long as they remain unslabbed. The speculation about grade and value will continue to be fodder for new chat-board threads, convention discussions, and collector's fantasies until the moment the books are graded and/or sold. All of the talk adds to the perceived value in the long run. I would bet that the three million dollar books all hit those prices exactly because Dave's books have not been graded.

I couldn't agree more. The mystique of the books unslabbed is fascinating . It would be cool to see a 9.4 or 9.6 on them someday.

When I look at Eric Roberts AF15 in that grade, I get woozy!

By the way, I met the dentist in Baltimore and he was carrying a box of GA with him. I asked him if I could look at them and were they for sale but he refered me to his ad in Overstreet and walked away. Strange and unfriendly but conventions are a busy place with lots of people to see when you have a box of top of the line comics.

bb

What is the company name or the ad placed under in the overstreet?

No company name, just Dave Anderson. Not to be confused with Oklahoma Dave, whose company is Want List Comics.

add me to the list wanting to know the details!

I don't think we are ever going to get the details....... :sorry:

Plenty of people come on these boards willing to talk about the 'shady' practices of PGX or Danny D and the like so why would this be a taboo subject if there was evidence to support the claims?

Make no mistake, what happened did happen...just one of those hobby black eyes that are better off left in the past imo

Though if anyone asks me in person I would share what I know...

Make no mistake, what happened did happen...just one of those hobby black eyes that are better off left in the past imo

Though if anyone asks me in person I would share what I know...

Wouldn't it be better if more people knew about it Rick (shrug)