• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dentist
2 2

173 posts in this topic

Somebody? Anybody??

It sounds like having a holy grail is like having a key to the city. you can do no wrong. ;)

Better yet own TWO of them. :whistle:

Jim

i hear you, but it still comes down to character--i mean, i own this one, and yet you don't see me being a prima donna.

denver.jpg

Somebody? Anybody??

It sounds like having a holy grail is like having a key to the city. you can do no wrong. ;)

Jim

i hear you, but it still comes down to character--i mean, i own this one, and yet you don't see me being a prima donna.

denver.jpg

:o I can't believe you got that graded. I remember reading an article about you in the CBG when I was just a kid and if I remember correctly you said and I quote

"Regarding my Pal #1: The people who have seen it and whose opinions matter to me know what my book is. Just ask Richard Evans, Billy Ponsetti or Rick Whitelock. Everyone else can choose to believe what they want as is their right."

I've been a fan ever since :cloud9:

Jim

Somebody? Anybody??

Jim

denver.jpg

:o I can't believe you got that graded. I remember reading an article about you in the CBG when I was just a kid and if I remember correctly you said and I quote

"Regarding my Pal #1: The people who have seen it and whose opinions matter to me know what my book is. Just ask Richard Evans, Billy Ponsetti or Rick Whitelock. Everyone else can choose to believe what they want as is their right."

I've been a fan ever since :cloud9:

Jim

those were the days!!!!!!!!!

It is a very taboo subject, and people will reference it from time to time but it never get's discussed in depth with most people hoping the subject goes away. What Roy said is accurate from all accounts but it's all you'll see said on the subject in a public forum.

Jim

I have seen it referenced on the boards before but don't know any of the details. I would like to know them though. If this story is true, everyone should know about it. If it's not true then the remarks should stop. Some of the comments have come from well respected board members so I must assume the stories have merit. Are people worried about lawsuits ? (shrug)

Here is the story as I have heard it...

A local guy here in Houston named Joe Smejkal was reading through the CBG back in the '80s and saw an ad which intrigued him. He bought a few books, received them, got very excited by their condition and called the seller immediately. He eventually bought a majority of what the guy had to offer...books that have since been called the Hawkeye Collection. Really killer high grade golden age that contained many publishers and titles from the '40s. At that time Joe had the crazy idea that moth-balls would help keep bugs out of his comics. All of books were stored in mothballs. That small is now one of the identifying traits of the Hawkeyes.

Fast forward... Joe decides he wants to work out a deal with Dave for the Mile High run of Flash Comics 2 - 23 (or so?) and the early Mile High Green Lanterns, including #1. There is a significant portion of that deal done in trade for Hawkeye pedigree comics which Joe had acquired earlier. One of those books is an issue of Adventure Comics in the #70s (I'm sorry I don't remember the specific issue number).

Fast forward a few months...Dave sends some books to Ernie Gerber for possible sale or trade. One of those books is a Mile High (?) Adventure Comics in the #70's. But, to Ernie's surprise, this "Mile High" smells suspiciously of moth-balls. Having dealt with Joe previously Ernie gives him a call and sends him the book. Joe verifies that this "Mile High" is in fact the Hawkeye with a code added.

Rumor has it that Ernie confronted Dave and got him to agree to allow Ernie (being the publisher of the Gerber Photo-Journal) to photograph his collection.

It is a very taboo subject, and people will reference it from time to time but it never get's discussed in depth with most people hoping the subject goes away. What Roy said is accurate from all accounts but it's all you'll see said on the subject in a public forum.

Jim

I have seen it referenced on the boards before but don't know any of the details. I would like to know them though. If this story is true, everyone should know about it. If it's not true then the remarks should stop. Some of the comments have come from well respected board members so I must assume the stories have merit. Are people worried about lawsuits ? (shrug)

A local guy here in Houston named Joe Smejkal was reading through the CBG back in the '80s and saw an ad which intrigued him. He bought a few books, received them, got very excited by their condition and called the seller immediately. He eventually bought a majority of what the guy had to offer...books that have since been called the Hawkeye Collection. Really killer high grade golden age that contained many publishers and titles from the '40s. At that time Joe had the crazy idea that moth-balls would help keep bugs out of his comics. All of books were stored in mothballs. That small is now one of the identifying traits of the Hawkeyes.

Fast forward... Joe decides he wants to work out a deal with Dave for the Mile High run of Flash Comics 2 - 23 (or so?) and the early Mile High Green Lanterns, including #1. There is a significant portion of that deal done in trade for Hawkeye pedigree comics which Joe had acquired earlier. One of those books is an issue of Adventure Comics in the #70s (I'm sorry I don't remember the specific issue number).

Fast forward a few months...Dave sends some books to Ernie Gerber for possible sale or trade. One of those books is a Mile High (?) Adventure Comics in the #70's. But, to Ernie's surprise, this "Mile High" smells suspiciously of moth-balls. Having dealt with Joe previously Ernie gives him a call and sends him the book. Joe verifies that this "Mile High" is in fact the Hawkeye with a code added.

Rumor has it that Ernie confronted Dave and got him to agree to allow Ernie (being the publisher of the Gerber Photo-Journal) to photograph his collection.

:screwy: Does the ''smell'' affect the grade at all?

Jim

Thank you (thumbs u

I'm sure you are asking in all seriousness, so pardon me will I finish giggling....

....okay, sorry.

As far as I know there is not a grading system for comics based on smell.

I'm sure you are asking in all seriousness, so pardon me will I finish giggling....

....okay, sorry.

:eyeroll: Gee, happy to make you laugh.

....okay, sorry.

It just struck me as funny. I would imagine that if a comic had an overwhelming smell of pooh pooh it might make it tough to sell. But how much of a downgrade does "pooh pooh smell" get?

....okay, sorry.

It just struck me as funny. I would imagine that if a comic had an overwhelming smell of pooh pooh it might make it tough to sell. But how much of a downgrade does "pooh pooh smell" get?

Rick could probably speak to that. He is after all our resident poopie pants.

....okay, sorry.

Considering that there's photographic evidence of you reading key issues on the crapper, I suspect no one can answer that better than you. :baiting:

Somebody? Anybody??

Jim

denver.jpg

Mr. B I think we have found a test subject. :grin: Let the pooping commence!