• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

Rick you wouldn't happen to have a scan of that MC#1 file copy that PopsComics sold on EBay a few years back? Is there some way to search old EBay sales?

Advanced search,

completed auctions or transaction,

not sure how far back the ebay holds info,

B

Rick you wouldn't happen to have a scan of that MC#1 file copy that PopsComics sold on EBay a few years back? Is there some way to search old EBay sales?

Did anybody ever determine what that was, exactly? It wasn't a Jacquet copy so it was presumably from the Marvel offices? Was it from the same find as the books being discussed in the Timely thread awhile back?

Did anybody ever determine what that was, exactly? It wasn't a Jacquet copy so it was presumably from the Marvel offices? Was it from the same find as the books being discussed in the Timely thread awhile back?

Here's the old EBay listing number [110212375677] but it doesn't go back to 2008. I don't think it had a Jacquet stamp on it? I seem to recall that it was something different stamped on it but I can remember what it was. I will try and search the old threads, maybe there is still a scan floating around.

bill, can you scan that page and post it here for those of us that don't have access to it?

page.jpg

I'll email you a high res copy, you can see it is indeed a book

Slightly cropped photo?

bill, can you scan that page and post it here for those of us that don't have access to it?

page.jpg

I'll email you a high res copy, you can see it is indeed a book

Slightly cropped photo?

That'd be my guess

It was an angled pic, not a scan. I saved it but not sure where lol

I will guess about $7800.

My guess is the Tec 29 will break 10K.

just ended shy of $10k at $9,600. Fairly strong price for a 29 with that large upper left POFC...any boardies win it?

I think the price is nuts based on condition.

James G

just shows what the market will bear on this tough Pre Robin bat cover...the pages were very nice (thumbs u

If i had the money right now id have bought that book for 10K easy. If i hadnt bought mine last year i would have def bought this one

I also agree it is justified.

After seeing all the other crazy prices this year on early Tecs and other key/high demand GA. That 10K is right. (Can't believe I just said 10K is right for entry level, but its true- these books are getting crazy expensive!!!!!)

I almost bid $10.1K, but at the last second held off - the appeal is a complete Tec 29, and the fact that there are so few low grade copies - I end up looking for one of 6 books that I can possibly "afford", and it's not like AF 15 where there are 1500 graded copies - there are only about 40 - so if I want one, I really have to go for it.

I think low grades get higher prices (relatively speaking) than mid grades because there are a larger number of us who can't reach the mid grades but want a complete copy in low grade... (shrug)

supply and demand and timing determines FMV :)

Sure but it gets to a point that just doesn't make sense. IMO if you can afford 10K you in theory should be able to pay 20K. That being said I can understand an entry level book at a certain price I just don't know why this got pushed this high. I have a restored 4.0 but I bet I couldn't get any interest in that at all as it's PLOD......

James G

I was browsing Classics Inc's site this morning, and reviewing their "Top Four" section when I noticed this new addition to the Tec 27 scan library. This copy looks amazing! It is copy number 36 on their site

It seems somehow familiar with that small dent at the top, but I can't place it. Anyone know more about this raw copy?

http://www.classicsincorporated.com/database/gallerydetail.php?item=100223

highgradetec27.jpg

I should post that image in the Allentown thread where it belongs.

just ended shy of $10k at $9,600. Fairly strong price for a 29 with that large upper left POFC...any boardies win it?

James G

just shows what the market will bear on this tough Pre Robin bat cover...the pages were very nice (thumbs u

If i had the money right now id have bought that book for 10K easy. If i hadnt bought mine last year i would have def bought this one

After seeing all the other crazy prices this year on early Tecs and other key/high demand GA. That 10K is right. (Can't believe I just said 10K is right for entry level, but its true- these books are getting crazy expensive!!!!!)

I almost bid $10.1K, but at the last second held off - the appeal is a complete Tec 29, and the fact that there are so few low grade copies - I end up looking for one of 6 books that I can possibly "afford", and it's not like AF 15 where there are 1500 graded copies - there are only about 40 - so if I want one, I really have to go for it.

I think low grades get higher prices (relatively speaking) than mid grades because there are a larger number of us who can't reach the mid grades but want a complete copy in low grade... (shrug)

Sure but it gets to a point that just doesn't make sense. IMO if you can afford 10K you in theory should be able to pay 20K. That being said I can understand an entry level book at a certain price I just don't know why this got pushed this high. I have a restored 4.0 but I bet I couldn't get any interest in that at all as it's PLOD......

James G

big difference between 10k and 20k buyers. Spending 10k doesn't mean one will can can afford 20k. I sold a Tec 29 CGC 1.5 slight for $12k a year and a half ago. There is great power in a pre robin Tec :grin:

James G

James G

big difference between 10k and 20k buyers. Spending 10k doesn't mean one will can can afford 20k. I sold a Tec 29 CGC 1.5 slight for $12k a year and a half ago. There is great power in a pre robin Tec :grin:

Agree there's a big difference between 10K and 20K just like 5K and 10K for most collectors. I know that seems obvious, but unless its talking into the 100K+ then its a pretty substantial difference. Plus a blue label to a PLOD is not the same game if you ask me.

I believe this was the first time the October Marvel 1 you are referring to was advertised. It was listed in 1977 or 1978 in the Buyer's Guide along with Marvel Mystery's 2-12. They were listed as file copies (no specific name stated) which had been bound together with long staples. Conditions varied but the introduction paragraph mentions ALL the books had small holes near the spine, were moderately brittle and discolored, and some minor restorative work had been done. Each individual book is then listed with various defects (stamp marks, pieces missing, etc) Most of the issues did not sell at the listed prices and were relisted in a later issue. The Marvel 1 price was lowered from $5555 to $4700. Never heard what became of the issues 2-12.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

James G

James G

Agree there's a big difference between 10K and 20K just like 5K and 10K for most collectors. I know that seems obvious, but unless its talking into the 100K+ then its a pretty substantial difference. Plus a blue label to a PLOD is not the same game if you ask me.

My point exactly - when books go "big league" the number of people that can afford grades higher than, say 1.0 (Tec 29) or 2.0 (Tec 33) goes way down - so that leaves most people that want the book clamoring for the lower grade - so lower grade prices get higher because the demand is higher as that is all most folks can afford...

Now, that being said, Tec 33 2.0 on Clink went last night for $7.6K, and I was guessing it would be more like $9.5K - so perhaps there goes my theory...

P.S, Anyone care to give me an estimate on what the Tec 29 3.5 goes for on Cconnect - I'm guessing $18K...

James G

James G

My point exactly - when books go "big league" the number of people that can afford grades higher than, say 1.0 (Tec 29) or 2.0 (Tec 33) goes way down - so that leaves most people that want the book clamoring for the lower grade - so lower grade prices get higher because the demand is higher as that is all most folks can afford...

Now, that being said, Tec 33 2.0 on Clink went last night for $7.6K, and I was guessing it would be more like $9.5K - so perhaps there goes my theory...

P.S, Anyone care to give me an estimate on what the Tec 29 3.5 goes for on Cconnect - I'm guessing $18K...

I understand all that, but really your telling me someone is wiling to spend 10K on that ugly 1.0 and wouldn't or couldn't spend 20k on a 4.0. I just can't grasp that. Perhaps I am to jaded that 10K just isn't a huge number any more. I would save my cash or sell some other books to make that jump. I would never buy a trashed 10K book if I could buy a nice one for 20K, from every angle it just doesn't make sense IMO.

From the same standpoint the trimmed early Detective pages that were on ebay over the last few months went for insane money. They were trimmed with holes in them and loose pages and your seeing copies sell for a couple grand when nice coverless copies have struggled to come close to that pirce point.

I hear all day from people that can't cover the gap from one price point to another, and my response to that is your not motivated enough to do so. Generally we all have lesser stuff that we could move, I know at times I have dumped stuff just to raise cash to make a jump to a book I wouldn't have otherwise been able to afford. There are gaps that are able to be closed and then there are gaps that arent. I wouldn't expect someone who tops out at a couple grand to make that jump but really if they really tried I bet they could.

I think if the desire is there it can be done. I remmber when I bought my first 1000 book I thought that was a ton of cash now not much bothers me until I hit 10K so the bar has moved, I think people just need to move thier bar :-)

James G

I believe this was the first time the October Marvel 1 you are referring to was advertised. It was listed in 1977 or 1978 in the Buyer's Guide along with Marvel Mystery's 2-12. They were listed as file copies (no specific name stated) which had been bound together with long staples. Conditions varied but the introduction paragraph mentions ALL the books had small holes near the spine, were moderately brittle and discolored, and some minor restorative work had been done. Each individual book is then listed with various defects (stamp marks, pieces missing, etc) Most of the issues did not sell at the listed prices and were relisted in a later issue. The Marvel 1 price was lowered from $5555 to $4700. Never heard what became of the issues 2-12.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanks for posting this, very cool.

Thresholds exist at pretty much every level.

We all have our limits, and I'd imagine that there are a number of collectors where 10K would be about the greatest extent that they'd be able to go for a "grail" book like Detective Comics #29.

Even if a higher graded copy could be had for 5-10K more, they'd then have to double their threshold which for many, would be financially impossible.

Those with 20K to spend on a comic book are probably more willing to hold out and double the 10K figure for a better copy. To those with only 10K to spend, a 1.0 might be their only opportunity to land a book of this caliber before the value pulls even further out of reach.

There is only one 1.0 and one 0.5 on the CGC census. I do not know of the 0.5 is fully complete or not, so this 1.0 might be the lowest-graded slabbed complete copy in the entire world.

Think about it.

How many collectors with a 10K threshold are needed to help elevate this very rare opportunity to high figures?

We are not talking AF #15 here, we're talking about one of the most desirable GA comic books of all time with a very very very limited supply in the "low-grade, complete, slabbed" department.

I don't see any reason why the value won't continue to climb further and further. (thumbs u

I was browsing Classics Inc's site this morning, and reviewing their "Top Four" section when I noticed this new addition to the Tec 27 scan library. This copy looks amazing! It is copy number 36 on their site

It seems somehow familiar with that small dent at the top, but I can't place it. Anyone know more about this raw copy?

http://www.classicsincorporated.com/database/gallerydetail.php?item=100223

highgradetec27.jpg

I should post that image in the Allentown thread where it belongs.

(thumbs u