• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

Hey, anyone who is willing to continuously apologize for this can't be a total dirtbag. I'm not following this too closely, but what does everyone want him to do at this point? Sell it for what he paid and not a penny more? He got a good deal, is trying to raise money, and has some profit in this book now. What am I missing he? Besides to umbrage and anger?

Wayne-Tec can continue to apologize all he wants but it's all wildly_fanciful_statement. The fact that he equates taking from a boardie who was here for due diligence on a book, to eBay's "Buy It Now" shows that he doesn't understand what he did and lacks remorse. I haven't followed too closely but from his posts the boardie did not appear to give up his interest in the book and was asking for opinions at the time of Wayne-Tec's grab.

With hindsight, the newbie might have taken more precaution as a stakeholder. On the other hand, I would have expected boardies here to help each other out... and respect certain communications as sacred. No one here ought to feel paranoid that a lead can be pulled from under them when asking for advice.

What to do now at this point? How about telling Wayne-Tec (and future Wayne-Tecs) to cut it out and show this board is not made up of wolves. Wayne-Tec's actions tell me he is far more of a speculator than a fan of comics. Nevermind the book he's going to steal may be another's hard to attain grail. There will be more flips in his future I'm sure. The only question is how many more collectors will he insult and step on for a few dollars more?

but most of you buy then flip when you are chasing the next grail, right? Just to free up some cash for the new purchase. its not a crime or it would be lonely around here. and arent books sold on the boards as first "I'll Take It gets it?" Maybe the seller is to blame for not holding off selling while the first guy made up his mind...

anyway, as I stated, I havent followed the details closely... but seems around here a real jerk would have started flaming back at his detractors by now if he wasnt genuinely aware he stepped in some doo doo.

I doubt Wayne-Tec is flipping to chase a grail. By his admission he has no comic that he calls "grail." What he did is not a crime but it doesn't make it any more palatable or acceptable on a social networking forum.

It might help to review the sequence of posts to see how it went down. Actually most of us were initially happy to see Wayne-Tec get a good deal on the book because he fooled us into thinking he was more a collector... rather than a junior mmehdy.

I doubt Wayne-Tec is flipping to chase a grail. By his admission he has no comic that he calls "grail." What he did is not a crime but it doesn't make it any more palatable or acceptable on a social networking forum.

It might help to review the sequence of posts to see how it went down. Actually most of us were initially happy to see Wayne-Tec get a good deal on the book because he fooled us into thinking he was more a collector... rather than a junior mmehdy.

I did sell the Tec #36 in order to fund the purchase of a book that could be considered a "grail". I try to be cautious using that word these days as the term is subjective; but I didn't part with a book like that with malicious intent.

I hear your perspective Mike and I respect it.

You're looking out for the community because you don't feel that board members should be in fear of asking for an opinion because someone might swoop a book up from under them. It was my poor board etiquette, a selfish decision on my behalf, something I've apologized for while still recognizing that doesn't excuse it.

But posts like these genuinely make me feel poorly.

Wayne-Tec's actions tell me he is far more of a speculator than a fan of comics. Nevermind the book he's going to steal may be another's hard to attain grail. There will be more flips in his future I'm sure. The only question is how many more collectors will he insult and step on for a few dollars more?

I respect you looking out for the community as I've said. But this feels more like a personal attack. You claim that I'm more of a "speculator than a fan of comics" when I've spent years contributing what I've felt to be thoughtful posts and threads that come from the heart of someone who is very much a fan of comics. Just a few examples:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=188967&Number=3930098#Post3930098

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=201021&Number=4236253#Post4236253

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=220882&Number=4742004#Post4742004

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=234609&Number=5088193#Post5088193

I'm not trying to make this personal. We've spoken via PM in the past because for whatever reason, you've often made it a habit to post "jabs" when I would sell one book to acquire another. I would think that it would be well known by now that more often than not, I've ended up selling at a loss.

I'd like to think that most of us would prefer to sell at a profit when we decide to let a book go, but to paint a picture of me being this regular "flipper" with nothing but money at the heart of my intentions is really unfair IMO.

So many of my posts over the years (some of which are posted above) talk about content, character development, an appreciation for the publication history and a number of other obscure yet interesting aspects of what makes this hobby great.

I made a poor decision. I've apologized. I've owned up to and admit that it was a move of poor etiquette. I'm trying to explain my side while using the utmost respect in post-tone. I'm not using vulgarity, hurling insults, accusations or taking on a tone of negativity. I'm not saying that all of the aforementioned have been found in your posts, nor would I ever attempt to censor anyone from voicing their opinions.

Many of your criticisms are valid -- I own up to that and I'm sorry.

I just don't feel that everyone is taking into account the entire picture.

I'll take it on my shoulders if at the end of the day, the conclusion was that I was still wrong. I already feel bad enough about it. Don't you think that if my intention was to be underhanded, to flip for a quick buck and not care about anyone else's feeling -- would I really have come out and been honest from the get-go about making the purchase?

I could have just bought it well under FMV, sold the book on eBay and never made a public post about it. I haven't tried to deceive anyone and the accusations as to my intentions have been a little unfair. I don't know how else you would expect someone who has made a mistake to respond.

I'm sorry -- even if you feel my saying so isn't genuine because it is.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

But posts like these genuinely make me feel poorly.

Wayne-Tec's actions tell me he is far more of a speculator than a fan of comics. Nevermind the book he's going to steal may be another's hard to attain grail. There will be more flips in his future I'm sure. The only question is how many more collectors will he insult and step on for a few dollars more?

I respect you looking out for the community as I've said. But this feels more like a personal attack. You claim that I'm more of a "speculator than a fan of comics" when I've spent years contributing what I've felt to be thoughtful posts and threads that come from the heart of someone who is very much a fan of comics.

I was being clinical ("calling a spade a spade") and not making a personal attack.

Others have looked at it from another angle and have come to the same conclusion.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=15&Number=5892925&Searchpage=2&Main=266984&topic=0&Search=true#Post5892925

Can anyone confirm that the 1.5 actually sold for 25 k on eBay? My gut is that there is a growing hunger for these Pre-robins that goes well outside the incredibly knowledgeable collectors on these boards and they are paying higher prices for them. This tec 31 is a good example (if the sale is real). The tec 36 4.5 in the last heritage went for a little over 10k, which seems like a new high price. If a lower grade (.5-2.5) tec 35 or tec 31 blue label went to auction, I think people would go nuts.

Agreed! The demand doesn't seem to be cooling off anytime soon

So lets get back to early tecs besides the 1.0 36...

With two days left tec 27 at 165k and 31 at 27450$.

As mentionned earlier i think early tecs and. Ats 1 are on an upswing especially tec 31 and bats1.

Tec29 has that action 7 thing going but nothing like like tec 31!

The cover is hypnotizing. I truly think that if tec 27 had the 31 cover instead alongside the origin of 33 and cameo out before action comics 1. It would be the holy grail by far.

Disclaimer. Tec 31 is my fav early cover. Better than tec27 imho

Tec29 has the second cover and sligthly more scarce.but cover doesnt come close to 31.

Tec 227 is becoming a bronze age key in the last years and its a swipe hommage of 31!

If

I was being clinical ("calling a spade a spade") and not making a personal attack.

Others have looked at it from another angle and have come to the same conclusion.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=15&Number=5892925&Searchpage=2&Main=266984&topic=0&Search=true#Post5892925

I completely understand the investor/collector perspective provided in that post.

If you look forward a page into the thread, I actually followed it up explaining my selections. As the thread went on and I continued to read other people's opinions and perspectives, it really opened my eyes as I had a few days to re-read and look it over. I'm not sure exactly how different my list would look today, but I'm starting to gather a greater appreciation for many of the non-Superman/Batman books out there. (thumbs u

Can anyone confirm that the 1.5 actually sold for 25 k on eBay? My gut is that there is a growing hunger for these Pre-robins that goes well outside the incredibly knowledgeable collectors on these boards and they are paying higher prices for them. This tec 31 is a good example (if the sale is real). The tec 36 4.5 in the last heritage went for a little over 10k, which seems like a new high price. If a lower grade (.5-2.5) tec 35 or tec 31 blue label went to auction, I think people would go nuts.

Agreed! The demand doesn't seem to be cooling off anytime soon

So lets get back to early tecs besides the 1.0 36...

With two days left tec 27 at 165k and 31 at 27450$.

As mentionned earlier i think early tecs and. Ats 1 are on an upswing especially tec 31 and bats1.

Tec29 has that action 7 thing going but nothing like like tec 31!

The cover is hypnotizing. I truly think that if tec 27 had the 31 cover instead alongside the origin of 33 and cameo out before action comics 1. It would be the holy grail by far.

Disclaimer. Tec 31 is my fav early cover. Better than tec27 imho

Tec29 has the second cover and sligthly more scarce.but cover doesnt come close to 31.

Tec 227 is becoming a bronze age key in the last years and its a swipe hommage of 31!

If

I totally hear where you're coming from regarding Tec #27 and where it would be if it sported #31's cover and #33's origin.

I suppose that's the beauty of the Pre-Robin Tec run. So many issues contain so many special things that contributed to the development of the character.

The fact that Action Comics #1 contains Superman's origin is one of the reasons I rank it ahead of Tec #27. But you're right, if #27 had all of the aforementioned, it would certainly come even closer to Action #1.

I still think Tec 33 is waayyyyy undervalued! Origin of Batman retold first time told!?!? Come on!

I hear you DK.

The most important 2 pages in comic book history every printed. Period.

Edited by peewee22

Ryan, wayne-tec

Well said. The fact you can buy the best cover and the origin seperatly makes the pre robib tec club interesting. It gives a broader collector base. action 1 has the cover and origin in the same printing.

Also pre robin tecs are more affordable than the early action counterparts.

I still think Tec 33 is waayyyyy undervalued! Origin of Batman retold first time told!?!? Come on!

I hear you DK.

Wait 'till you see the one I have acomin'... :insane:

I also feel the cover is very under-appreciated. After 31 and 35, I've struggled where I'd rank it with the others but it's defiantly up there. Great book all around.

I hear you DK.

When you consider a 4.0-4.5 can be bought in the mid teens, where by 29, 31 and 35 all sell in the 30k+ (for 29 and 31) and mid to high 20k for the 35, 33 is really undervalued. A 36 4.5 has already broken 10k+. Origin of Batman makes it a key for me.

Edited by campued1010

I hear you DK.

When you consider a 4.0-4.5 can be bought in the mid teens, where by 29, 31 and 35 all sell in the 30k+ (for 29 and 31) and mid to high 20k for the 35, 33 is really undervalued. A 36 4.5 has already broken 10k+. Origin of Batman makes it a key for me.

I agree. (thumbs u

It can be argued that the origin of Batman may be the most recognizable stories in the history of comics. Batman #48 is a really cool book with the expanded origin and that came out many years later.

Tec #33 has that 1939 mystique and as Alex said earlier, a pretty awesome cover as well. :cloud9: