• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

can i show off my newest acquisition..this has been the week i blew my budget out on grails. First the Tec #31 and now this. It's coverless but unrestored. This is one of those grails I don't mind coverless since it showcases the best batman splash ever. Here's a scan of the raw book and i'm getting it slabbed for the blue label.

Agreed, that's one book that looks awesome with or without the cover. Congrats!

can i show off my newest acquisition..this has been the week i blew my budget out on grails. First the Tec #31 and now this. It's coverless but unrestored. This is one of those grails I don't mind coverless since it showcases the best batman splash ever. Here's a scan of the raw book and i'm getting it slabbed for the blue label.

Great book.

Do you really want to slab it?

I'd love to read and flcik through my book but its slabbed so I'm limited to the Batman Chronicles version.

Great book.

Do you really want to slab it?

I'd love to read and flcik through my book but its slabbed so I'm limited to the Batman Chronicles version.

No need to slab it! Read and smell the pages!

Can anyone tell me if buying a Detective Comics #36 in CGC 1.0 grade is worth it at $1,200? The cover has some major tears, but the book is universal grade and complete.

I'm new to the pre-Robin Detectives and would like to start looking at getting some soon. Some sagely advice would be appreciated from fellow pre-robin Detective collectors.

Thanks! :)

:rulez:

1st RULE: You do not talk about available books going for cheap in PRE-ROBIN TEC CLUB.

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about available books going for cheap in PRE-ROBIN TEC CLUB.

As a collector, I know Pre-Robin Tecs are always in demand. Inexpensive copies are quite frankly, a gift. Unfortunately they have become the favorite of flippers, and someone is always out there ready to eat your lunch.

:sorry:

Since my income doesn't justify making four-figure purchases with any regularity, I have no choice but to let go of an expensive book in order to pick up another. I'm certainly okay with that because from my point of view, I pick up a book that I enjoy, other collectors pick up the books I make available along the way which they enjoy and everyone enjoys the hobby overall.

smiley-pinocchio-liar.gif

You sound like you're making up excuses along the way.

By your hostile grabbing and flipping, you've made an affordable book to collectors become less affordable at the end of the day. What is the added value that you've provided to collectors in this case?

The sad part is the internal contradiction in you being "okay with that" from your point of view, seeing how you're in the same economic position with those that can't afford expensive books. Kinda hypocritical?

Since my income doesn't justify making four-figure purchases with any regularity, I have no choice but to let go of an expensive book in order to pick up another. I'm certainly okay with that because from my point of view, I pick up a book that I enjoy, other collectors pick up the books I make available along the way which they enjoy and everyone enjoys the hobby overall.

By your hostile grabbing and flipping, you've made an affordable book to collectors become less affordable at the end of the day. What is the added value that you've provided to collectors in this case?

The sad part is the internal contradiction in you being "okay with that" from your point of view, seeing how you're in the same economic position with those that can't afford expensive books. Kinda hypocritical?

I understand what you're saying but you're not being completely fair.

In most cases when I end up selling a book quickly after purchasing it, I end up selling at a loss. While it's fair to point out this instance, I also feel that it would be fair to note that I've often made books available for sale and have sold them for less than what I've invested into them. I've never complained about taking a loss and I certainly haven't been upset that collectors have been able to pick up other books for a price lower than what I paid for them.

"hostile grabbing and flipping" is just not fair here.

I've explained my situation honestly. I made a purchase for below FMV and the only reason I sold it for FMV was because I needed every dollar to fund another purchase. The original intent when buying the book was not to flip. I didn't sell for cash profit, I sold to use the funds towards another purchase. I understand how that can still be considered flipping, but how is this any different than the dealer who bought the Action #10 as an eBay "buy it now" for well under FMV, then slabbing it and auctioning it off for FMV? Even if that book came back restored or incomplete, it would have been worth well more than the eBay sellers "buy it now" price. I purchased a book that was on the open market in a public website after learning that no one had made any kind of commitment to the book. On eBay, don't people add items they may be seriously interested in to their watch list? If someone goes ahead and clicks the "buy it now" while other "watchers" are still considering the book, does that put them in the wrong? The difference here is that I knew specifically that someone was considering the book. They didn't make a commitment or express any certainty in the purchase. I took the original poster's expressed hesitance into consideration as well. Had he said that this was some type of grail book and he couldn't wait to save up for it -- I have morals -- I wouldn't have made the move.

But what seems to be overlooked here is that this instance is an exception to the rule. I've often times sold at a loss and made books available to fellow collectors who are willing to offer what it's worth to them, even if what they offer is less than what I've personally invested into the book. This instance is the exception and while I understand why people would try to make me look bad for selling a book at FMV (above my cost), I don't see anyone taking the time to look at the other side of the equation: when I've often times sold at a loss and frequently offered time-payments to budget conscious collectors who didn't have the funds to buy something they liked right away. To anyone who has bought from me, they'd attest to how easy I am to work with, how flexible I am in terms of payments and how contientious I am throughout the whole process.

I don't know what more I can do than own up to a move that was poor board etiquette. I would just hope that the fact that the book was on the open market, for sale on a public website, not spoken for by the interested party and the fact that the original poster was hesitant -- all those factors were taken into consideration before I made my purchase. Even afterwards, I owned up to my actions and contacted the original poster to apologize. What is done is done, I'd certainly hope that after taking into consideration all of the factors, that people would at least see my point of view. I'm still more than willing to own up to a move that was poor board etiquette and apologize once again.

In most cases when I end up selling a book quickly after purchasing it, I end up selling at a loss. While it's fair to point out this instance, I also feel that it would be fair to note that I've often made books available for sale and have sold them for less than what I've invested into them. I've never complained about taking a loss and I certainly haven't been upset that collectors have been able to pick up other books for a price lower than what I paid for them.

I've explained my situation honestly. I made a purchase for below FMV and the only reason I sold it for FMV was because I needed every dollar to fund another purchase. The original intent when buying the book was not to flip. I didn't sell for cash profit, I sold to use the funds towards another purchase. I understand how that can still be considered flipping, but how is this any different than the dealer who bought the Action #10 as an eBay "buy it now" for well under FMV, then slabbing it and auctioning it off for FMV? Even if that book came back restored or incomplete, it would have been worth well more than the eBay sellers "buy it now" price. I purchased a book that was on the open market in a public website after learning that no one had made any kind of commitment to the book. On eBay, don't people add items they may be seriously interested in to their watch list? If someone goes ahead and clicks the "buy it now" while other "watchers" are still considering the book, does that put them in the wrong? The difference here is that I knew specifically that someone was considering the book. They didn't make a commitment or express any certainty in the purchase. I took the original poster's expressed hesitance into consideration as well. Had he said that this was some type of grail book and he couldn't wait to save up for it -- I have morals -- I wouldn't have made the move.

But what seems to be overlooked here is that this instance is an exception to the rule. I've often times sold at a loss and made books available to fellow collectors who are willing to offer what it's worth to them, even if what they offer is less than what I've personally invested into the book. This instance is the exception and while I understand why people would try to make me look bad for selling a book at FMV (above my cost), I don't see anyone taking the time to look at the other side of the equation: when I've often times sold at a loss and frequently offered time-payments to budget conscious collectors who didn't have the funds to buy something they liked right away. To anyone who has bought from me, they'd attest to how easy I am to work with, how flexible I am in terms of payments and how contientious I am throughout the whole process.

I don't know what more I can do than own up to a move that was poor board etiquette. I would just hope that the fact that the book was on the open market, for sale on a public website, not spoken for by the interested party and the fact that the original poster was hesitant -- all those factors were taken into consideration before I made my purchase. Even afterwards, I owned up to my actions and contacted the original poster to apologize. What is done is done, I'd certainly hope that after taking into consideration all of the factors, that people would at least see my point of view. I'm still more than willing to own up to a move that was poor board etiquette and apologize once again.

Again, you can explain till the cows come home. It was a douchy move plain and simple. The fact that you point to that Action 10 is laughable. Your comparing a book that was in an open venue for everyone to see and buy to someone who was asking the value of a book on a forum as he was interested in buying and getting a consensus on the price of the book. You opted to snag that book from him....you're right to do so, but a move in my book. The book then is put on the boards for sale( forget about the asking price) less than 2 weeks later. Don't care about the reason, but seriously could you have not chosen another venue for the sale???? Sort of a kick in the groin for the boardie who wanted to buy it. Again, your right to do so but a real person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed bag move!!!!

Edited by campued1010

Again, you can explain till the cows come home. It was a douchy move plain and simple. The fact that you point to that Action 10 is laughable. Your comparing a book that was in an open venue for everyone to see and buy to someone who was asking the value of a book on a forum as he was interested in buying and getting a consensus on the price of the book. You opted to snag that book from him....you're right to do so, but a move in my book. The book then is put on the boards for sale( forget about the asking price) less than 2 weeks later. Don't care about the reason, but seriously could you have not chosen another venue for the sale???? Sort of a kick in the groin for the boardie who wanted to buy it. Again, your right to do so but a real person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed bag move!!!!

The book I purchased was listed for sale in a public venue for everyone to see. The only difference is that eBay receives more Internet traffic. The original poster even stated in this thread that he was going to pass on the book anyway.

My decision to buy the book was poor board etiquette, but it was done taking into consideration the poster's expressed hesitance in considering holding out for a higher graded copy and the fact that no one made any kind of commitment to a book that was available for sale in a public venue. I'm not making excuses, I've accepted responsibility and apologized numerous times, I've just asked for the above factors to be taken into consideration.

Hey, anyone who is willing to continuously apologize for this can't be a total dirtbag. I'm not following this too closely, but what does everyone want him to do at this point? Sell it for what he paid and not a penny more? He got a good deal, is trying to raise money, and has some profit in this book now. What am I missing he? Besides to umbrage and anger?

Hey, anyone who is willing to continuously apologize for this can't be a total dirtbag. I'm not following this too closely, but what does everyone want him to do at this point? Sell it for what he paid and not a penny more? He got a good deal, is trying to raise money, and has some profit in this book now. What am I missing he? Besides to umbrage and anger?

(thumbs u :hi:

Thank you for the post.

The book has already sold. I'm not saying that my apology excuses me from bad board etiquette. I fully accept responsibility for that. I just wanted everyone to take into consideration the factors that I did when I made my decision. The book was available for public sale on a public website, it had not been spoken for, the original poster was hesitant and even after receiving positive advice to make the purchase -- still didn't make a commitment to the book which I did. It was still a move of bad etiquette because I learned about the book from his post. I genuinely felt bad and took the time to privately apologize to the original poster directly. He later posted in this thread saying he was going to pass on the book anyway.

I'm man enough to own up to my bad move. I'm sorry, I don't expect for that to excuse my decision but the situation is what it is. I've been a member of these boards for many years -- check my feedback thread and you'll see a long list of positive affirmations attesting to my character. I truly care about how my fellow collectors view me and though I've accepted full responsibility for my poor decision, an admittedly selfish decision, all I can do is say that I'm sorry and hope that everyone will take the factors into consideration.

I've posted these many responses and apologized and accepted blame for my poor decision over and over with no ego or animosity found in my posts. All I can ask is for anyone to please at least take the above into consideration. Any of my actions deemed unforgivable is my heat to accept and apologize for.

Edited by Wayne-Tec