• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

I understand why I've created that perception -- but it's not entirely accurate.

There have been instances where I've sold one book quickly after purchasing it (rarely for a profit and often for a slight loss), but other times where I've held onto books for months. I certainly do not always use the term "grail" either. It's simply a matter of working with a limited budget and needing to sell if I want to buy. If I could afford to hold onto most of these books, I certainly would. We all know what it's like to miss a book after parting with it.

Since my income doesn't justify making four-figure purchases with any regularity, I have no choice but to let go of an expensive book in order to pick up another. I'm certainly okay with that because from my point of view, I pick up a book that I enjoy, other collectors pick up the books I make available along the way which they enjoy and everyone enjoys the hobby overall.

Perhaps a day will come when my budget will be such that I don't have to part with books so frequently, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do if you'd like to remain an active member of the hobby when it comes to picking up new books.

I'd certainly hope that my so doing doesn't offend anyone along the way. :foryou:

I received my entry-ticket back into the Pre-Robin Tec Club today:

detectivecomics3610.jpg

Detective Comics #36 is an incredibly tough book to track down unrestored.

A 4.0 copy sold for a little under 7K all the way back last November.

A 4.5 copy sold for over 10K recently on Heritage. :o

I never in my wildest dreams would have believed that a complete CGC blue label copy would be a possibility for me. They are just too tough to track down and incredibly pricey in the rare instances when they are made available.

In terms of unrestored copies...

There are absolutely no 1.5 copies, only one 1.8, one 2.0 and one 2.5.

My copy is the only 1.0 on the census.

There are some pieces missing out of the front and back cover, which is what brought such a sharp looking copy down to the 1.0 grade.

Otherwise...

*The cover inks are incredibly vibrant, like that of a high grade copy.

*The page quality is OFF-WHITE to WHITE.

It's really the ideal low grade book, presents beautifully with parts so well preserved that it brings you all the way back to the very beginning of 1940 when it hit the newsstands.

The content is unbelievable as well...

*Origin and 1st appearance of Hugo Strange.

*1st time Batman wears his trademark "finned" gloves.

*4th appearance of Commissioner Gordon.

*6th cover appearance of Batman.

If you go back and read the original story, they did an incredible job of illustrating Hugo Strange. Being Batman's "1st major villain" according to the OSPG, it is clear that they were aiming for something different in this issue. In many ways, it's the first book to portray the Batman we know today. He wasn't fighting petty crooks, mad scientists (Dr. Death was far more one-dimensional than Strange), vampires, werewolves or racial stereotypes. They introduced a formidable villain within a city that felt a lot more like the Gotham City we'd later become familiar with.

Unlike Detective Comics #37 which is a partial cover-swipe from the interior story of Detective Comics #28, the cover for Detective Comics #36 appears to be original -- showcasing Batman prominently.

I can understand why this book has become so hot lately -- I'm just very fortunate to have been able to pick up one of the few blue label slabs in existence, not to mention a copy that presents so well with such nice PQ.

I'm psyched! :headbang:

You sure you weren't psyched to double the price and sell it in less than a week? Sad.

Indeed. Wayne-Tec is back in the pre-Robin club. He has a Tec 36 of which he will own and treasure. Look for it on eBay in 30 days.

Don't be silly, it's already up for sale in for sale thread!!!

doh!

And to think, another board member was trying for it before it was snagged

should sell it to them for what he paid lol

I don't mind the humorous jabs -- I understand the point of view.

Nevertheless, I'll do my best to explain.

I purchased the book well under FMV after the original poster expressed some hesitation (thinking he may want to hold off for a higher graded copy) and after I discovered that no one had put the book on hold or made any commitment. Taking that into consideration, I had no hesitation so I made the move to purchase the book. I did not have any intentions of flipping it -- as a matter of fact, a few board members had PM'd be shortly after the purchase to see if I had any interest in selling and that if I ever decided to let the book go, to keep them in mind. My opinion has always been that anyone is welcome to make me an offer, but the intention here was to hold onto the book.

I even contacted the board member who originally posted about the Tec #36 to apologize. I never intended to display poor board etiquette, I just went after a book that was available on the open market to anyone. If that reflects poorly on me, I'm more than willing to own up to it and take it on my shoulders. But if you ask anyone who has ever bought, sold or traded with me -- I'm confident that they will attest to my character, reliability and respect for the hobby as a whole.

Another opportunity presented itself and I committed to purchasing another major book. In order to fund this purchase, I have no choice but to let the Tec #36 go. It's not that I want to sell it and it's not that my intention was to make a quick buck but rather -- I'll need every dollar to go towards my current purchase. It is because of that that I'm looking to sell the book around FMV. Detective Comics #37 in CGC 1.0 has sold for over $1,700 all the way back in 2010. Detective Comics #36 guides for more, sells for more and is tougher to come by in a CGC blue label.

So again, the only reason it is available is to fund a future purchase -- such is life sometimes even though I'm sure we'd all like to hold onto all of the books we pick up.

While you have every right to buy/sell a book, I found it in poor taste that a board member finds a book, let's the boards know and then it was bought from under him. Again every right to do so but as others have pointed out not the best etiquette, then 2 weeks later it's on the boards for sale. Again your right, but I find the move a little douchy. Good luck on your next acquisition

I'm sorry you feel that way and I have to respect your right to that opinion.

As I've stated, I only made the move to purchase the book in the first place when taking into account the original poster's expressed hesitance and after learning that no one had asked for the book to be put on hold, nor had anyone made any commitment to the book. I owned up to my decision being a move of poor board etiquette and I apologized directly to the original poster because of such. I'm only making the book available for sale, being willing to part with it for FMV, because I have another purchase that I need to fund.

I would hope that others would understand that situation. I'm not saying that's an excuse and as I've said a number of times, I'm more than willing to own up to any criticisms and I'm not above apologizing where appropriate. If at the end of the day some people still have a negative opinion of me because of it in spite of completing a number of successful transactions with multiple board members over the years, I'm not sure what else I can do outside of saying that I'm sorry and owning up to the criticism.

As I've stated, I only made the move to purchase the book in the first place when taking into account the original poster's expressed hesitance and after learning that no one had asked for the book to be put on hold, nor had anyone made any commitment to the book. I owned up to my decision being a move of poor board etiquette and I apologized directly to the original poster because of such. I'm only making the book available for sale, being willing to part with it for FMV, because I have another purchase that I need to fund.

I would hope that others would understand that situation. I'm not saying that's an excuse and as I've said a number of times, I'm more than willing to own up to any criticisms and I'm not above apologizing where appropriate. If at the end of the day some people still have a negative opinion of me because of it in spite of completing a number of successful transactions with multiple board members over the years, I'm not sure what else I can do outside of saying that I'm sorry and owning up to the criticism.

Still, the guy wanted it for his collection it seemed like. He was weary of value so he didn't want to jump in and get a bad deal. You tracked down the book, purchase it. Then less than 2 weeks its here doubled in price. Its a slap in the face and looks really bad. At least sell it on another venue.

Indeed. Wayne-Tec is back in the pre-Robin club. He has a Tec 36 of which he will own and treasure. Look for it on eBay in 30 days.

Don't be silly, it's already up for sale in for sale thread!!!

It was in the stars. Miss Cleo told me.

I'm only looking to sell it for FMV.

I was fortunate enough to buy it for well under FMV and am only selling it because I need every dollar to fund a recent purchase. Not much different than the raw Action #10 that was bought for well under FMV a while back, slabbed and auctioned off for FMV.

Outside of apologizing to the original poster which I've already done, I'm not sure what else I can do. I'm not looking to take advantage of anyone, I'm just offering a book for sale and am willing to part with it for FMV to anyone interested in making the pick up.

I again apologize to anyone who may have been offended along the way. :foryou:

Again, your entitled to buy and sell as you see fit. As a Pre-Robin Tec collector, I know first hand how hard these books are to collect, from coverless, low grade to high grade. The fact that a board member found the book and posted it and by all accounts was very interested in getting it is what bugs me the most. You bought it and 2 weeks later it's for sale. Can't help feeling disgusted by the chain of events, as I truly believe that book could have been a prized part of someone's collection. Instead it was scooped and flipped.

I understand your point of view.

But in the interest of fairness, the book was available on the open market. If anyone had made any kind of commitment to the book, I would have 100% respectfully backed off. I understand why the move could be looked upon as poor taste, I've owned up to that and apologized to the original poster personally.

I didn't buy it to flip. Like any other book, I'd be willing to trade it if there was a book I'd be more interested in but the only reason I'm selling the book at FMV is because I have to fund another purchase.

Someone taking a shot on a raw book is different. I hesitate on raw books because of disagreement on grade/potential for restoration. Having to navigate that mitigation of risk is different from buying a slabbed blue label.

The person who brought it here im sure hesitated because he was looking for an opinion of value not to let out the hounds. The book was bought before he made up his mind either way from the sound of it.

You could be a stand up guy and pass the book on to a collector for the 1200 that you paid for it.

There arent many of these around and having my name/book marked for a grand is simply not worth it to me. Alot of others agree.

I'm only looking to sell it for FMV.

I was fortunate enough to buy it for well under FMV and am only selling it because I need every dollar to fund a recent purchase. Not much different than the raw Action #10 that was bought for well under FMV a while back, slabbed and auctioned off for FMV.

Outside of apologizing to the original poster which I've already done, I'm not sure what else I can do. I'm not looking to take advantage of anyone, I'm just offering a book for sale and am willing to part with it for FMV to anyone interested in making the pick up.

I again apologize to anyone who may have been offended along the way. :foryou:

The A10 was purchased through a public buy it now eBay auction if I'm not mistaken. This is very different. Secondly, the only way to find out your "FMV" is to put it in a no reserve auction. Your asking price is your value, not the markets. That's the only 1.0 on the census. I don't think that book would break 2,000$ due to how bad it presents but that's only my opinion. Edited by ASMguyyy

can i show off my newest acquisition..this has been the week i blew my budget out on grails. First the Tec #31 and now this. It's coverless but unrestored. This is one of those grails I don't mind coverless since it showcases the best batman splash ever. Here's a scan of the raw book and i'm getting it slabbed for the blue label.

129292.jpg.c63d745b6ae87960d8f48f40d1aa12e8.jpg

can i show off my newest acquisition..this has been the week i blew my budget out on grails. First the Tec #31 and now this. It's coverless but unrestored. This is one of those grails I don't mind coverless since it showcases the best batman splash ever. Here's a scan of the raw book and i'm getting it slabbed for the blue label.

Congrats! Certainly, the best GA Bat splash :)

Hoarder your on a roll! Very nice coverless example, and your right about that. Amazing image!

:applause:

I'll do my best to explain my side of things one more time, I never intended to create tension by replying to the initial remarks. The book I bought was available for public sale on the seller's public website. When I discovered that no one had made any kind of commitment to the book, I decided to go ahead and buy it. I genuinely felt bad because I learned about the book from the board member's post, so even though I felt that I was my right to buy a book that had not been spoken for and that was available for sale on a public website, I still took the time to own up to my decision and apologize. I later had an opportunity to purchase another book and had no choice but to sell the Tec #36 to raise up the funds needed. I bought the book well under FMV, I personally would have paid a lot more for it had the price been higher but I purchased it for the price it was marked for. If I re-sold it well under FMV at my cost, I would have been well short of the funds needed to make my next purchase. So this wasn't a matter of me flipping with the intention of making a quick buck, it's a matter of me needing to sell it at FMV to fund another purchase I committed to. The book has since sold. I didn't break any laws, I didn't rip anyone off, I didn't lie to anyone. I understand why the move to buy the book in the first place was poor board etiquette and I've apologized to the board member directly, I've apologized to the community as a whole and taken responsibility for my actions. I've bought from, sold to and traded with a number of respected board members for years and I've always made an effort to express the fact that I genuinely care about my reputation and the community as a whole. If at the end if the day people do not understand or agree with my decision, I'm willing to accept responsibility, take it on my shoulders and apologize again. I'm sorry that all of this has caused so much tension. I hope that those who read this will take my side of things into consideration and accept my apology. :foryou:

The bat on Batman's chest looks surreal! (worship)