• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

Anybody know the print run on Thorn: Tales From the Lantern?

A friend of mine has one and was looking for info on it. All I could find is that it apparently was published in September, 1983 and going rate seemed like the $500-$700 range, if you could find it.

It also begs the question--if it reprints Smith's Bone strip from college, is there collector value to actual school newspapers that would have carried the strip originally, similar to the NEC Newsletters with The Tick?

Ok, I have a few books I must have bought around 1990ish.

Not sure if they are rare are not, but will through them out there:

Truly Tasteless and Tacky 1 (Caliber Comics seems to be the publisher)

Dances with Cows (wife must have made me buy this one)

And wow, Nick, I've had signature's off so long I just noticed you putting together those Xenozoic sets! Very nice!

:blush:

Thanks Chuck.

I'm coming after you! :sumo:

I finally decided to join the registry. :banana:

But now I have to dig my books out of storage since most are in the old holders, and I can't read the registration # from my scans. :frustrated:

It's all in good fun. And if it inspires someone else to join in a registry set, even better. Glad to see you "came out."

lol

:applause:

And wow, Nick, I've had signature's off so long I just noticed you putting together those Xenozoic sets! Very nice!

:blush:

Thanks Chuck.

I'm coming after you! :sumo:

I finally decided to join the registry. :banana:

But now I have to dig my books out of storage since most are in the old holders, and I can't read the registration # from my scans. :frustrated:

New scans of Bonds25 books . . . :cloud9:

Don't know about the Truly Tasteless book, but the book you refer to as Dances with Cows is actually issue #21 of Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children. It's not really rare.

Supply and demand, most of the books talked about in this thread have low supply but also low demand. The key is low supply and high demand. ;)

It only takes 2 people to drive up the price of anything :gossip:

So instead of 1 person buying a .99 cents Marvel/DC copper comic from me on Ebay, two people will start a frenzy bidding war that will end at a $1.51? As I said before my friend, the Copper Age of comics has some of the best stories ever written or drawn but for some reason there is just no overall interest in them, maybe some indies will take off but the Marvel/DC stuff from this era will not pull a bronze age magic act and start becoming very sought after. As the old saying goes "You can't get blood from a stone." and that best sums up Copper Marvel/DC`s. They will never be as hot as gold,silver,bronze and yes even modern post 1996 comics. ;)

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

for some reason there is just no overall interest in them . . . They will never be as hot as gold,silver,bronze and yes even modern post 1996 comics. ;)

The first part is wrong and the second part is right. There is plenty of interest, there are just huge supplies. Except for the people that are hung up on NM/M copies there are 10-20 copies of every Copper Marvel and DC books for every comic collector still collecting.

The supply of copper books is an absolute boon for those who want to collect and read the books. There is so much great stuff out there and it's cheap and plentiful. It may never be worth much but if you're looking to buy and read skads of books on the cheap, copper is where it's at.

Supply and demand, most of the books talked about in this thread have low supply but also low demand. The key is low supply and high demand. ;)

It only takes 2 people to drive up the price of anything :gossip:

So instead of 1 person buying a .99 cents Marvel/DC copper comic from me on Ebay, two people will start a frenzy bidding war that will end at a $1.51? As I said before my friend, the Copper Age of comics has some of the best stories ever written or drawn but for some reason there is just no overall interest in them, maybe some indies will take off but the Marvel/DC stuff from this era will not pull a bronze age magic act and start becoming very sought after. As the old saying goes "You can't get blood from a stone." and that best sums up Copper Marvel/DC`s. They will never be as hot as gold,silver,bronze and yes even modern post 1996 comics. ;)

I'm sorry, but is this a thread about 99 cents Marvel/DC copper? Because I thought this thread was about hard-to-find (and subsequently pricey/rare) 80s books ;)

Don't know about the Truly Tasteless book, but the book you refer to as Dances with Cows is actually issue #21 of Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children. It's not really rare.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Haven't looked at that one since I bought it.

Anyone know about the Truly Tasteless and Tacky #1? It has Hitler and Elvis on the cover, IIRC.

I guess I reread the thread title and it's not an 80's book, but would be curious.

lol

:popcorn::popcorn:

sorry me me badd :( ok back on topic, how about those Deadworld comics from the 1980`s,especially the gory covers(scarce/rare)? I have been reading these recently and wow this VINCE LOCKE is an amazing artist! I put this up there as one of the best copper books that mainstream doesn`t know about.

24574-thumb100.jpg

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

The supply of copper books is an absolute boon for those who want to collect and read the books. There is so much great stuff out there and it's cheap and plentiful. It may never be worth much but if you're looking to buy and read skads of books on the cheap, copper is where it's at.

Yep. I just bought the first 10 issues of Dreadstar for 50 cents each.

lol

sorry me me badd :( ok back on topic, how about those Deadworld comics from the 1980`s,especially the gory covers(scarce/rare)? I have been reading these recentaly and wow this VINCE LOCKE is an amazing artist! I put this up there as one of the best copper books that mainstream doesn`t know about.

24574-thumb100.jpg

They are awesome, but they are not what I would call rare or scarce even in top grade. They are tougher than a lot of other independents, especially the Apple books, but no more deserving of attention here than the late run Star books, and I still have the boot-heel marks on my throat from the OP for mentioning those . . . :whistle:

lol

sorry me me badd :( ok back on topic, how about those Deadworld comics from the 1980`s,especially the gory covers(scarce/rare)? I have been reading these recentaly and wow this VINCE LOCKE is an amazing artist! I put this up there as one of the best copper books that mainstream doesn`t know about.

24574-thumb100.jpg

I like Deadworld better than Walking Dead :applause:

Another rarity....

Ex-Mutants #1 Ashcan

is that the little one from Wizard?

I don't think so, Dan. Ex-Mutants came out in 1985.

Malibu relaunched it some time in the early 90's. It was terrible. They were super heroes complete with powers. Kinda the exact opposite of the comic existing in the first place.