• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

What about those Archie's that were published by some Christian book company? I think I have or had one of those. I don't know if they were original stories or Archie reprints.

Those were published by Spire in the 1970's and early 1980's. They were all original stories, I believe.

Thanks :) Hopefully I'll come across one as I catalog my collection

An old photo from when I sold all of my Spire comics (group 1 of 3). Pretty much the entire line of Spire comics was written and drawn by Al Hartley. Several of the Archie titles are in this group:

spire-1.jpg

How was that Alpha & Omega book? I'm going to assume it is strictly Bible-related content.

Damn,are they really htf? When I moved last year there were some copies of Omega, and Northstar that went to the recycling plant. :P Two long boxes of "junky indy books".

I hope that's a joke. :sick:

I don't think Jason is kidding.

Not kidding at all. :P

Hey, EwanUK --

Speaking of British comics, how rare is 2000 A.D. Diceman #5, the one with Ronald Reagan on the cover?

I spent well over a decade looking for a copy (even during two vacations in London) and came up empty. Then I finally snagged a copy off eBay UK last year in an auction and paid quite a bit for it. But now it is mine... :devil:

Here's some pictures of VERY RARE 80s books!

Food For Thought, UK 1985, comic size

One of my fanzine/ comic grails and took me years to find this. Features the obscure Alan Moore and Bryan Talbot "Cold Snap" strip plus unique art by Alan Davis, Dave Gibbons, Kevin O'Neill and all the best UK talent.

Print run must have been in low hundreds only.

I found this in a UK dealers pound box at a comic mart!!!! By chance!

A copy went on ebay for £50 last year.

FoodThought.jpg

[

I sold a copy of this on the boards for $10 last year doh!

Picked it up in the UK in '85

Here's some pictures of VERY RARE 80s books!

Food For Thought, UK 1985, comic size

One of my fanzine/ comic grails and took me years to find this. Features the obscure Alan Moore and Bryan Talbot "Cold Snap" strip plus unique art by Alan Davis, Dave Gibbons, Kevin O'Neill and all the best UK talent.

Print run must have been in low hundreds only.

I found this in a UK dealers pound box at a comic mart!!!! By chance!

A copy went on ebay for £50 last year.

FoodThought.jpg

[

I sold a copy of this on the boards for $10 last year doh!

Picked it up in the UK in '85

Can anyone explain the cover?

And finally....

Marvel Super-Heroes no.377, no.387 & no.388, 1981-82, Marvel UK, mag

I have just sold one of my sets of these to a Canadian collector (and probable boardie, sorry)

No.377 - 1st appearance modern Captain Britain - RARE!

No.387 - 1st ever appearance of the name "Miracleman" RARE!

No.388 - 2nd ever appearance of the name "Miracleman" SUPER RARE!

MSH377.jpg

MSH387.jpg

MSH388.jpg

Could be the winner of the thread, depends on how hot and important Marvel makes Miracleman a key player in thier universe. ;)

BTW there were also 75 cent price variants from Canada on the later issues.

Yes there are. From a research persective, one of the coolest Charlton's is the Fightin' Army #169, which used a US cover overprint with a 75¢ price (you can still see the faded, light purple 60¢ price beneath the 75¢ price)

FArmy_169.jpg

Here is how the regular 60¢ copy looks:

6487.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

There are a *few* Marvel/DCs that qualify (the aforementioned Amethyst 35s, for example), but they are a tiny handful.

Even the Stars are not terribly rare (and all the NU is downright common.)

Not rare perhaps, if we're just talking about total remaining copies in any grade, but certainly scarce compared to other books of the time. Finding the last few issues of series like Masters of the Universe, Thundercats, and a few others have been a real bear if you're looking for NM+ copies. I've bought a dozen OO predominatly Copper collections in the last ten years and none have inlcuded runs of Star books, even though the owners would collect most every other drekky Marvel title.

Not disagreeing with you in any way.

But the Stars, even rare relatively, don't even come close to books like Albedo #0, Gobbledygook 1 & 2, 3D/2Ds, etc.

And leaving grade out of the discussion, they become downright common.

The Star Canadian Price Variants are tough in any grade. Someone mentioned RAW mags - #2 is especially tough as it contains the Maus insert which is, more often than not, missing or detached if accompanied with the book. From the Whitman's, the top 10 from the rares list, Black Hole 4, and the 75¢ Price Variants (especially the one shots like Bambi, Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan).

I will certainly agree that the Star Canadian price editions are rare. They started out in a market that was 1/10th the size of the US to begin with, and Star comics didn't sell (too) well in the US. That gave them a double whammy.

I suspect that the Star Canadians are the toughest Canadians, barring some oddball one shots and minis (like the 1985 DC "Funny Stuff Sticking Stuffer #1" Christmas special, which may not even exist anymore.)

I think the Whitman Canadians are in a heated tie, and slightly ahead as certain issues and one-shots* can be tougher than the 75¢ and later 95¢ Stars. Here is a list of some of the more difficult 75¢ Whitmans:

winnie the pooh 32

peter pan 1*

little lulu 268

popeye 171

alice in wonderland 1*

tom and jerry 344

winnie the pooh 33

woody woodpecker 201

bambi 1*

yosemite sam 81

pink panther 87

uncle scrooge 209

People...PEOPLE...80's books, please.

:rulez:

There's a whole forum for 70's books over there....

<-------

;)

The 49 cent cover price Spire comics are from the 1980's. That's why I posted them.

I know. Just giving you a hard time, because you're DUB-T. But you DID mix them in with some 70's drek....

Don't let it happen again.....I'm watching you....

You're not gonna be at SD are ya?

SO whats people's take on the Elflord series, I saw some people mention them but no one said anything aboout them. Are they short print? "rare" or not really collected... :shrug: opinions?

I think they're very rare, but don't know much about them. I've never seen an issue in person, and can only remember one time when I saw one on Ebay.