• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

I read 67 of these posts so far. No mention of The Silent Invasion by Renegade Press. You can get them for cheap. Black and white comic that came out about 1986 about a reporter chasing dreams about UFOs. There was a bound reprint book in the 90s and frank Miller wrote the intro. I never here anyone discuss this title. It was awesome.

Being super active in comics in the 80s I rember a lot of this stuff. I can't manufacture enthusiasm and I just never cared for the turtle stuff. I figured it might be pricey one day, just never cared. Same way I have the money for a HG BA 12 theses days and I believe it's a good buy, I just can't get interested in ir

Not sure if I posted this before but, I've been on the Christmas spirit and my ability to search and type is limited, so here we go:

Superman409SuperhombreCGC9.6.jpg

Apparently only 3 or maybe 4 copies known to exist, thought to have been produced as "Ashcans" (in the old sense of the word) simply to keep the Superhombre tradmark going).

I used to own the Superman... Superhombre ashcan which looks exactly like the logo (except it was B&W only). The logo was also used in the 60's on Adventure Comics #304. The original ashcan had a hand-written letter in Spanish on the inside of the front cover along with registration stamps from 1944. Inside was a copy of Superman #31. It's always been a mystery why DC decided to put it on some comics as a logo. Maybe they had to show that it was printed somewhere in the US every 20-25 years? If that's the case, then they should have printed it somewhere else in the 2000's. Anyone seen another printing of it?

Silent Invasion! What an awesome read! Had a few scattered issues, then hunted down the complete run in the form of four paperback bound volumes, old-school Marvel graphic novel size. Just read it end to end over Thanksgiving weekend, and it still blows me away! (Other thing I read was bronze but also awesome in a very different, 50's-EC way -- the 10-issue Michael Fleischer Spectre run in Adventure Comics, #431-440. Also recommended.)

From an eBay listing:

FROM THE VOID

Starting bid: US $15,000.00 :tonofbricks:

"Near Mint. Very Rare -possibly the only copy in existence in this condition. Locally printed in OTTAWA, CANADA with stories and art by Jim Woo and Barry Blair of Elf lord fame.

Beautiful cover. All art in black and white. A few dents on the lower left side but still an amazing item. "

$T2eC16dHJGkE9no8iPv(BRHE)(qcrQ~~60_57.JPG

For that price you can pick up a really, really nice Golden Age comic, or a couple. Or even 3-7 extra nice Silver Ages, especially if you make a combination deal.

That seller has been trying to unload their copy for between $5000 to $75,000 for a few years. It is a rare book but not that rare! As for the sellers claim that they "possibly" have the only copy in that condition, anything is possible, but I personally own a copy.

Divide his asking prices by 100-250 to get a more realistic value. Probably a personal joke of his.

I have one too - picked it up for $5 at WW Chicago a couple of years back. The seller is :screwy:

I read 67 of these posts so far. No mention of The Silent Invasion by Renegade Press. You can get them for cheap. Black and white comic that came out about 1986 about a reporter chasing dreams about UFOs. There was a bound reprint book in the 90s and frank Miller wrote the intro. I never here anyone discuss this title. It was awesome.

Being super active in comics in the 80s I rember a lot of this stuff. I can't manufacture enthusiasm and I just never cared for the turtle stuff. I figured it might be pricey one day, just never cared. Same way I have the money for a HG BA 12 theses days and I believe it's a good buy, I just can't get interested in ir

Firstly - AWESOME graphic novel/series. Really should get its own thread here just to generate awareness for one of the greatest indie books to come out in the 80s. Hancock's writing is up there with Miller and Moore. Wish we'd see more of him.. Maybe a Kickstarter :wishluck:

The only "rare" piece to come out of Hancock was actually an ashcan/preview of Suburban Nightmares in 1988.. they pop on the bay every once in awhile

I'm not familiar with Suburban Nightmares. Is it a great read like Silent Invasion?

Bought the run cheap at an awesome comic shop in Portland called Acme Comics. Haven't read it yet. Time is such a difficult commodity. So tired. Too tired to read.

Seriously, Blip #1 is an uncommon book? I have a copy in NM condition. Anyone want to buy it from me? :grin:

Also, how common are those 7 Eleven Marvel Collectors giveaways?

Actually, I think it's buyers of Blip that are uncommon. If you find one, see if they'll take my copy as well.

I think they aren't bad books to hold onto. Not rare in the slightest, but its a first appearance that might matter one day; the sort of book that could go from $3 to $50 overnight, but could also stay at $3 or less forever as well.

Im always in the market for Blip.

FullSizeRender_zpsucpwrupj.jpg

:golfclap:

Love that book! 1st comic appearance of Mario and Donkey Kong?! What's not to like???...besides the cover?

I believe my Blip 1 is a Canadian price variant copy. I'll try to dig up a pic!

kong_off_ii_1.jpg

That guy is...interesting. We have a big arcade expo/convention here in Louisville every year, and last year he was one of the guests of honor or whatever. He sells his own hot sauce and wears a suit everywhere. At the end of the night I saw him hovering over a kid that was playing Donkey Kong, like some kind of creepy, mulleted sensei.

I had no idea that Blip existed and now I want one. Thanks thread!

kong_off_ii_1.jpg

That guy is...interesting. We have a big arcade expo/convention here in Louisville every year, and last year he was one of the guests of honor or whatever. He sells his own hot sauce and wears a suit everywhere. At the end of the night I saw him hovering over a kid that was playing Donkey Kong, like some kind of creepy, mulleted sensei.

I had no idea that Blip existed and now I want one. Thanks thread!

He was in the documentary King of Kong, which highlights the battle for worldwide high score in Donkey Kong. He is... interesting indeed. Great documentary to watch though, especially if you spent anytime in an arcade in the 80s.