• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

Maybe he didn't want to tell Rick what happened cause he felt like he didn't protect her, blaming himself like he did for the new group catching Rick/Michonne/Carl. (shrug)

hm

Daryl didn't tell Rick what happened with Beth because he didn't want to give Rick false hopes of ever seeing Beth alive again, regardless whether if she was taken or she left Daryl intentionally.

The amount if zombies va humans has always bugged me even with the book. I know just walking out into my neighborhood I'm going to instantly encounter thousands of people.

Where do you live?

That would seem to make a big difference. In the books the cities aren't even accessible. In the show, we see how inaccessible Atlanta is. What seems unreasonable?

Season 1.

Season finale: CDC explodes, Group travels again to find safe refuge.

Season 2.

Mid-season finale: Shane snaps and lets all the barn walkers out, Rick shoots Walker Sophia.

Season finale: Herd of walkers attack the farm, Rick declares "ricktatorship", Preview of The Prison and Michonne.

Season 3.

Mid-season finale: Group attacks Woodbury, Dixon brothers fight!

Season finale: Governor unsuccessfully attacks the Prison, Group takes in all Woodburians.

Season 4:

Mid-season finale: Kill 'Em All! Group is split apart, Hershel dies.

Season finale: Hunters capture the group.

I feel that Season 3 and 4's mid-season finales are stronger than the actual finales.

Season 1.

Season 2.

Mid-season finale: Shane snaps and lets all the barn walkers out, Rick shoots Walker Sophia.

Season finale: Herd of walkers attack the farm, Rick declares "ricktatorship", Preview of The Prison and Michonne.

Season 3.

Season finale: Governor unsuccessfully attacks the Prison, Group takes in all Woodburians.

Season 4:

I feel that Season 3 and 4's mid-season finales are stronger than the actual finales.

I would agree, but say that Season 2's mid season was also stronger than the finale.

The tension of that episode, along with the ending with Sophia was crazy. Especially since NO ONE saw it coming. It was Sofia. The kid. The kid is always found and is okay....

...the evaporated milk containers gave definitive answers that they are herding people to eat.

Also, there were tons of old bullet holes in the vehicles that the group was running past. Those cars looked like swiss cheese. Obviously not the first time that people had been directed along that route.

Season 1.

Season 2.

Season 3.

Season 4:

I would agree, but say that Season 2's mid season was also stronger than the finale.

The tension of that episode, along with the ending with Sophia was crazy. Especially since NO ONE saw it coming. It was Sofia. The kid. The kid is always found and is okay....

Yeah, I was having second thoughts about it. Probably, the season finale of season 2 was stronger for those who read the books, who knew who Michonne is and what the Prison was. But for the general viewing audience, the tension in the mid-finale was thick.

They said Termiteville had been there since the beginning. Hard to imagine that it was never found by the Guv or Rick before this, especially with all the signs and radio broadcasts, someone in Woodbury would have brought it up that they've heard the broadcast or seen the signs.

Oh and the quick ending to Daryl's group was weak. :P

Daryl's group was a means to an end, as it pertains to a storytelling end that is.

They existed as a vehicle to set up a dichotomy between people who are simply "hard" and people are "good" but can be harder than the hardest when pushed.

They were included, exclusively, to allow for the transformation of Rick into something far more dangerous, capable, and confident than he's ever been before.

The episodes work so much better if you think of the concepts instead of "how many shots were fired?", or "when do they poop?" kinds of questions. The narrative is incredible powerful when you look for the forest instead of the trees.

For example. The way Rick killed Dan...the guy who was trying to rape Carl...he did with his knife to Dan what Dan was trying to do to Carl with his dong. Well put together show and storytelling.

I took it another way. Outnumbered, they were all dead, each one had a gun to their heads while Darryl was getting the beejesus kicked out of him. But they all ended up ok in the end. That showed that Rick will never be killed off in the show. No matter what situation, what plot twist (Terminus), he will make it out fine. I'd say the same for Darryl and Michonne as well.

The ending would have been outstanding if when they walked into that boxcar, either Maggie, Glenn, etc would be hanging from meat hooks or they would have come shuffling towards them as zombies. But we get butt kicker Rick who we already know will eventually get out of there and kill the termites.

I like the show but like the comic, it's becoming too predictable with little surprises. I hope that next season we see more major characters killed off and new story lines that don't use the comic as a guide. The show is #1, so there's no reason to change the formula right now, but imagine if Rick, Carl, Mich, and Daryl had been killed by the claimed gang, talk about the greatest season finale of all time.

Hell I'd like it if we never see Carol, Tyreese, Judith, or Beth again. Rick & co are left wondering what the hell happened to them but nobody ever finds out. It's too unbelievable to have all of them reunited at Terminus. I know, looking way too much into it. :ohnoez:

The amount if zombies va humans has always bugged me even with the book. I know just walking out into my neighborhood I'm going to instantly encounter thousands of people.

Where do you live?

That would seem to make a big difference. In the books the cities aren't even accessible. In the show, we see how inaccessible Atlanta is. What seems unreasonable?

I go stand on my front porch and can count ten houses within view on both sides of the street. That's just within view...multiply by 3 that's sixty humans or zombies on just my street. Now think of all the streets within a city block (1 mile) in either way you can't turn a corner without encountering SOMEONE. Just seems like new human/zombie encounters would be a lot more frequent.

Where do you live?

I go stand on my front porch and can count ten houses within view on both sides of the street. That's just within view...multiply by 3 that's sixty humans or zombies on just my street. Now think of all the streets within a city block (1 mile) in either way you can't turn a corner without encountering SOMEONE. Just seems like new human/zombie encounters would be a lot more frequent.

Georgia_population_map.png

Where do you live?

Georgia_population_map.png

Hmm amazing there's such empty space

They said Termiteville had been there since the beginning. Hard to imagine that it was never found by the Guv or Rick before this, especially with all the signs and radio broadcasts, someone in Woodbury would have brought it up that they've heard the broadcast or seen the signs.

Oh and the quick ending to Daryl's group was weak. :P

Daryl's group was a means to an end, as it pertains to a storytelling end that is.

They existed as a vehicle to set up a dichotomy between people who are simply "hard" and people are "good" but can be harder than the hardest when pushed.

They were included, exclusively, to allow for the transformation of Rick into something far more dangerous, capable, and confident than he's ever been before.

The episodes work so much better if you think of the concepts instead of "how many shots were fired?", or "when do they poop?" kinds of questions. The narrative is incredible powerful when you look for the forest instead of the trees.

For example. The way Rick killed Dan...the guy who was trying to rape Carl...he did with his knife to Dan what Dan was trying to do to Carl with his dong. Well put together show and storytelling.

I took it another way. Outnumbered, they were all dead, each one had a gun to their heads while Darryl was getting the beejesus kicked out of him. But they all ended up ok in the end. That showed that Rick will never be killed off in the show. No matter what situation, what plot twist (Terminus), he will make it out fine. I'd say the same for Darryl and Michonne as well.

The ending would have been outstanding if when they walked into that boxcar, either Maggie, Glenn, etc would be hanging from meat hooks or they would have come shuffling towards them as zombies. But we get butt kicker Rick who we already know will eventually get out of there and kill the termites.

I like the show but like the comic, it's becoming too predictable with little surprises. I hope that next season we see more major characters killed off and new story lines that don't use the comic as a guide. The show is #1, so there's no reason to change the formula right now, but imagine if Rick, Carl, Mich, and Daryl had been killed by the claimed gang, talk about the greatest season finale of all time.

Hell I'd like it if we never see Carol, Tyreese, Judith, or Beth again. Rick & co are left wondering what the hell happened to them but nobody ever finds out. It's too unbelievable to have all of them reunited at Terminus. I know, looking way too much into it. :ohnoez:

As to the parts I put in bold above.

I think Rick's survival in that situation told a very important part of the story, in that character's evolution. It doesn't guarantee anything, but it does establish something new or intensified about the character that will be important going forward.

Walking Dead is "Rick's Tale" for better or worse. The comic's common thread is Rick and the TV show always comes back around to putting him at the center. That's the central plot point that would tell you he'll be around more than anything else.

As for that second section in bold, I could not imagine a worse season finale. That might make a great SERIES finale, but not a season. Kill them all? For what? Shock value? Then what? These are the characters that move the narrative. Losing them all at once to punch up the season finale would have been a massive waste and gratuitous without narrative necessity or meaning.

The show's doing a great job of letting you inside the mind of these people, to really see how they feel and think. They make you care about them, that's why the ending of the season worked. You care, you worry, you want to see how they get away, if they get away, who survives and how.

It's powerful stuff and, to the show's credit, they've used violence and gore to compliment the story and not vice versa.

Thinking about that scene in the finale, where they reach Terminus and are told to lay down their guns, are frisked, and their weapons are given back to them....it seemed odd at the time but it makes sense.

They wanted to know exactly what these guys were carrying so, after they chased them through the cattle trough, and were held them at gunpoint from a distance they could disarm them from 50 yards away and know that they got every last weapon.

Credit to the writer and actor who portrayed Gareth. They made me hate that hipster dot-com numb nuts in less than 5 minutes of first seeing him.

Walking Dead is "Rick's Tale" for better or worse. The comic's common thread is Rick and the TV show always comes back around to putting him at the center. That's the central plot point that would tell you he'll be around more than anything else.

I started reading the comic again. I finished the Governor/prison arch not too long ago and I'm up to Abraham just being introduced. I start to wonder - is this really Rick's Tale? Obviously at first glance and in the present tense - it very much is and to argue otherwise would be :insane: so I'm not trying to do that. I just mean years down the road from now and when TWD is wrapping up - I wonder if the story will be completely shifted and it will really be all along about Carl and his journey into becoming a man surviving in this post-apocalyptic world. Sort of like how Terminator wasn't really about Sarah Connor even though she was the main character in part one and pretty significant character in part 2 - but really it was the events that were happening around John and the people that impacted him that made him who he was. I'm up to the part where Rick is sick with fever and Carl is on his own and the things he says makes me believe it. :idea:

As for that second section in bold, I could not imagine a worse season finale. That might make a great SERIES finale, but not a season. Kill them all? For what? Shock value? Then what? These are the characters that move the narrative. Losing them all at once to punch up the season finale would have been a massive waste and gratuitous without narrative necessity or meaning.

The show's doing a great job of letting you inside the mind of these people, to really see how they feel and think. They make you care about them, that's why the ending of the season worked. You care, you worry, you want to see how they get away, if they get away, who survives and how.

It's powerful stuff and, to the show's credit, they've used violence and gore to compliment the story and not vice versa.

Couldn't agree more. I don't want to be introduced to new main characters every season. You don't need main characters to die to tell a great or tragic story filled with shock. (shrug)

I know that they were just trying to herd Rick and the group, but I mean, they wasted a LOT of bullets doing that.

If this wasn't their first time doing it you think they would have come up with a better way :shrug: