• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

I wasn't a big fan of this season.

Sure, there was character development and the uncovering of some back story, but it was extremely frustrating when they would devote an entire episode to one small group of people. Realistically they could have compounded some of it, and merged a couple of episodes. There was so much filler in trying to pad an hour devoted to 2 or 3 people. I think the writers were probably stalling to some degree, to make sure the season ended where they wanted it to.

That being said, the last few episodes were great, and the season finale was phenomenal.

It's up to Carol and Kimbo Slice to save the group now.

I think they treated this season like Lost. :cloud9: For fellow Lost fans, you know that each episode focused on one character so you got to know a little bit about THAT character and not get distracted by other characters. If they did each episode focusing on multiple characters, you don't build as strong as a connection.

On a much more smaller lever for purposes of illustration - the Lizzie episode focused so much on Lizzie and her sister. It led to a much stronger shock than if it was just kind of thrown in there with several other side stories.

Believe me, in the beginning of the second half of the season, it felt so different from prior seasons when you wouldn't see all of the major characters every episode. But now looking back, I appreciate what they did by separating the stories.

I hope they don't treat this show like lost..From the beginning we knew they were all dead, yet writers said no no..I just didn't think this season lived up to the hype that nicatero and the others promised. I hope they do better next season. Don't really care about the mindless zombie action, just think they missed the boat on some things. It was like it was all rushed to Terminus. its just my own opinion..

They said Termiteville had been there since the beginning. Hard to imagine that it was never found by the Guv or Rick before this, especially with all the signs and radio broadcasts, someone in Woodbury would have brought it up that they've heard the broadcast or seen the signs.

Oh and the quick ending to Daryl's group was weak. :P

Daryl's group was a means to an end, as it pertains to a storytelling end that is.

They existed as a vehicle to set up a dichotomy between people who are simply "hard" and people are "good" but can be harder than the hardest when pushed.

They were included, exclusively, to allow for the transformation of Rick into something far more dangerous, capable, and confident than he's ever been before.

The episodes work so much better if you think of the concepts instead of "how many shots were fired?", or "when do they poop?" kinds of questions. The narrative is incredible powerful when you look for the forest instead of the trees.

For example. The way Rick killed Dan...the guy who was trying to rape Carl...he did with his knife to Dan what Dan was trying to do to Carl with his dong. Well put together show and storytelling.

but imagine if Rick, Carl, Mich, and Daryl had been killed by the claimed gang, talk about the greatest season finale of all time.

then you'd have a show with no cast. there'd be no reason for me at least to watch the show again.