• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honest Dealers

401 posts in this topic

Over the last few years, I've become increasingly depressed about the number of honest dealers in the hobby. And I don't mean that they have to be perfect saints, but a basic level of moral and human decency. Unfortunately, there are more and more examples of people I like, but can't seem to wrap my head around some of the choices they make as "dealers".

While CGC has certainly encouraged the criminals in our hobby to come up with new ways to end run the system, their innovation has frankly been a godsend.

With that said, when I think of the truly honest dealers in this hobby, I come up with a short list -- and I really think that there are ones I'm not thinking of. But most importantly, I think we should be making every effort to support the dealers who are concerned with customer service first and honesty/integrity.

This, to me, is different than being a "great" dealer. This isn't about the inventory or the sales or whatever, it's about trusting them. Maybe I won't get a book I want or I have to wait a little longer to get a certain book or perhaps pay a little more.

So here's the deal: I've gotten literally dozens of PMs when I expressed concerns in my baltimore con post about the "honest" dealers. I listed the dealers below who I really think are high integrity. If you want to know why someone made the list, or in the alternative, why I didn't put someone on, ask me here. I'll just answer publicly. Now, in many cases, the answer is: not enough dealings or, I forgot to add them to the list etc. In others, I will give you my blunt perception. I hope people are willing to disagree (or agree)

I just feel like staying in the shadows with people isn't right either, so I'm willing to say, here's my perception and here's what I know. Will some people not like what I have to say? Maybe. But I'm not here to rip into anyone. It's all based on reason. So if you're interested, ask away. Please feel free to state your own experiences and feelings.

Here's my list of folks who I think are of exceedingly high integrity (not counting board dealers like Flaming Telepath or Bruce Coller who are basically two of the highest integrity guys I've ever known in my life in general):

Joe Verenault (JHV Associates)

Bob Storms (highgradecomics.com)

Gary Platt

Greg Reece (gregreececomics.com)

Jim Payette

Doug Sulipa (

Dale Roberts (buysell on ebay)

Vincent Zurzolo (metro)

Al Stoltz (basement comics)

Dave Reynolds

Brian Peets (a-1)

Richard Evans (bedrockcity)

Foolkiller i must say that it is very hypocritical of you to now start saying "I just feel like staying in the shadows with people isn't right either", especially when back in January you refused to post the names of people who you knew first hand were selling books as unrestored when they were indeed restored, and were doing just that !

Unfortunately, here's the reality. There are several big name, big time dealers (and not necessarily the ones at issue here) who intentionally sell restored books as unrestored. It happens all the time. Some of these are dealers we know and like from a personal standpoint. I'm not talking about "slipping through the cracks" or they just aren't sure, I'm talking about ones who are told that there is resto on the books and still attempt to sell it as unrestored (I've seen this personally happen and had it happen where I returned books and they were later sold to other parties as unrestored).

Foolkiller, i have just read through all these many pages and am surprised that although the thread has gone on for so long, no one has asked for specifics to your post above.

Who are these dealers, have they been named ?

Why is no one mentioning them ?

Everyone is talking about GCC (to some length), but no one seems to be concerned about these others dealers. Given what has been said in this thread, i would have thought that people would have latched onto your statement, or is it fear or alienating themselves from these big time dealers that is preventing everyone from doing so.

I think the names are well known and have been for some time. (thumbs u

They are not well known to me, so can i ask for the thread where these people are named please.

A 'name names' thread isn't going to end well. You will get a number of the 'serial offenders' listed, but you will also end up with a lot more generally innocent dealers with whom folk have personal beefs that are not necessarily shared, or supported by weight of evidence.

This thread appears to be a perfect example of that. :(

I understand what you are saying but i am refering back to Foolkillers post where he is not spectulating or relying on 3rd party information, "(I've seen this personally happen and had it happen where I returned books and they were later sold to other parties as unrestored)"

If that is indeed the case, surely it justifies an "outing" on the boards just as much as Gracham Crackers, maybe moreso as it is blatantly intentional. Holding this kind of information back is not for the benefit of the masses, so again i ask, who are these dealers ?

You know it amazes me that this is still being ignored when Foolkiller and a bunch of others are talking about restoration issues to do with a thread on the sales forum....

:whistle:

I haven't purchased a lot from Mr. Bedrock, but the two GA books I've purchased from him were accurately graded and priced fairly. Plus his posts are always entertaining.

On the Eides/Detective 27: he did come off as paranoid in some of his postings(if the poster was really him), and I thought that the 'Tec 27 saga ended with the book getting a clean bill of health from CGC. But now there seems to be indications that the story didn't end that way. So, was Eides right about Danny's involvement? And was Todd McDevitt duped?

Foolkiller i must say that it is very hypocritical of you to now start saying "I just feel like staying in the shadows with people isn't right either", especially when back in January you refused to post the names of people who you knew first hand were selling books as unrestored when they were indeed restored, and were doing just that !

I assume you mean Ted VanLiew (Superworld)? I love Ted as a person. I disagree with his restoration disclosure issues as I've many cases where he says he's either missed it or books have reappeared on his wall that I know he knows are restored

You may want to read the entire thread next time

For what its worth, as I am still primarily a GA collector, I would unquestionably recommend the following people for if you were looking into buying GA.

Rick Whitlock (New Force Comics)

Richie Evans (Bedrock City Comics)

Mike Miles (All Select Comics)

and if Roy cuts his hair, he might make the list too one day. I'm thinking a Sinead O' Conner look would be in order.

It's Whitelock damnit! :makepoint:

For what its worth, as I am still primarily a GA collector, I would unquestionably recommend the following people for if you were looking into buying GA.

and if Roy cuts his hair, he might make the list too one day. I'm thinking a Sinead O' Conner look would be in order.

bill (gets double T'd) and my last name (where does the E go) always get butchered lol

but I do prefer the "e" in Whitelock (thumbs u

I would add Rick Whitelock.

I didn't include he and Nick (FT) but they probably should be on the list. I mean christ, if you can't trust Nick Beckett the world is ending. The dude is super honest to a fault and has impeccable integrity.

:foryou:

the best thing about this hobby, to me, is the people... comics will come and go, but the friends you make along the way, far outweigh the book, imo...

I am thankful to have met some great lifelong friends, folks you want to call "brother/sister", folks that actually "care" about you... those are the folks I like and want to deal with...

everyone's list will differ...everyone has and is entitled to their opinion... the folks I deal with, know it, but I like hearing other's opinions and I appreciate brian's forthcoming in this thread (thumbs u

Hypocrisy is when you say one thing but do another. That's not what is happening here.

Brian is no longer "staying in the shadows". Did you not read this thread?

The phase "grading is subjective" is over used. If using Overstreet standards the vast majority of times it is not.

It is subjective...to a degree.

Well said, however in my bad experiences with dealers, ebay, ect.the subjectivity issue has always been well beyond a "degree." Most of the attempts have been to pass off VG's as Fines and Fines as Very Fines and even Very Fines as Near Mints.

:gossip: Some sellers use the phrase "grading is subjective" as an excuse to grade a F- book as VF+. Some people can't be bothered and just throw that out there as if it excuses them for their lack of caring. (usually these are clueless ebay sellers but sometimes it's "old guard" comic dealers)

Phooey! The checks get cashed no matter which variation I use. :slapfight:

the best thing about this hobby, to me, is the people... comics will come and go, but the friends you make along the way, far outweigh the book, imo...

I am thankful to have met some great lifelong friends, folks you want to call "brother/sister", folks that actually "care" about you... those are the folks I like and want to deal with...

everyone's list will differ...everyone has and is entitled to their opinion... the folks I deal with, know it, but I like hearing other's opinions and I appreciate brian's forthcoming in this thread (thumbs u

I wonder how Billy Parker responds to being called 'brother/sister'.

Hypocrisy is when you say one thing but do another. That's not what is happening here.

Did you read my post above? :makepoint:

Yes, but how am I supposed to get my post count up if you do all the work?

:baiting:

I wonder how Billy Parker responds to being called 'brother/sister'.

He's from the south, that's all ambiguous down there.

Yes, but how am I supposed to get my post count up if you do all the work?

:baiting:

:foryou:

I haven't seen anyone mention Andy Colman of www.goldustcomics.com ......a board member and a great source of scarce GA and SA. His Fine Plus is a NICE book. Books arrive from the U.K. in a little over a week. The only thing you have to pay attention to is whether a book is Pence or Cents....which he lists. He'll even do the currency conversion for the mathematically challenged. He also pays fairly for books he needs. I can't recommend him highly enough. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I haven't seen anyone mention Andy Colman of www.goldustcomics.com ......a board member and a great source of scarce GA and SA. His Fine Plus is a NICE book. Books arrive from the U.K. in a little over a week. The only thing you have to pay attention to is whether a book is Pence or Cents....which he lists. He'll even do the currency conversion for the mathematically challenged. He also pays fairly for books he needs. I can't recommend him highly enough. GOD BLESS...

:eyeroll:

Regarding honesty and integrity, these are the dealers who I have personally dealt with many times, or who have dealt with people whose opinions I trust implicitly over a period of time. (thumbs u

Bob Storms

Joe Verenault

Doug Sulipa

Richard Evans

John Hauser

Harley Yee

Andy Colman

Jef Hinds

Andy is the mustard (thumbs u

:eyeroll:

Regarding honesty and integrity, these are the dealers who I have personally dealt with many times, or who have dealt with people whose opinions I trust implicitly over a period of time. (thumbs u

Bob Storms

Joe Verenault

Doug Sulipa

Richard Evans

John Hauser

Harley Yee

Andy Colman

Jef Hinds

October give him props, too