• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honest Dealers

401 posts in this topic

If an honest dealer has knowledge of some of the dishonest things going on but doesn't step up and name names does that honest dealer get removed from the honest dealer list?

Of course not.

But the honest dealer still should name names because it would be AWESOME!

:popcorn:

If an honest dealer has knowledge of some of the dishonest things going on but doesn't step up and name names does that honest dealer get removed from the honest dealer list?

Of course not.

For me it depends on what you mean by "dishonest." If you know someone is committing an illegal act such as defrauding their clientele you have an obligation to bring awareness to the community. If you chose not to report them in this case you yourself would be dishonest because you are not revealing or acting on information you know to be true of which could prevent a great deal of harm from happening to other collectors.

On the other hand if it's something that's not illegal but is something you know a lot of people just disagree with you have a right to stay anonymous and remain an honest dealer/person.

The honest dealer should question their own honesty/integrity and answer their own question.

The honest dealer should question their own honesty/integrity and answer their own question.

So I was ripping off this guy the other day when...um...

...sorry... wrong forum :blush:

^^

They may not want to post on a message board because the situation they would be talking about would be hard to prove. Considering it would be after the fact, when they are at home sitting in front of their computer. I can understand that.

BUT...

If I'm at a convention looking at an expensive comic and the dealer next to him sees me buying it and knowingly doesn't speak up and warn me because of some dealers code... well if I found out I wouldn't buy from either dealer ever again. 2c

If we did this there wouldn't be a list.

You just made the Baby Jesus cry.

:applause:lol

lol

I'd add Paul Mullins of Comic Book World to the list. I know he's not a high-profile internet dealer but he has been around for a very long time and is very straightforward when it comes to grading. His pricing is consistent and he has a history of getting some truely excpetional books. He also pays better for people selling books to him than just about anyone else I know.

(thumbs u

I've been selling comics for over 35 years. First as a back-issue show/mail order dealer, then in 1978 I opened my first store and became the only place in the Chicago suburbs where you could by GA/SA books every day of the week.

I attended all the big shows for years and did all the back-breaking work necessary to have a chance at success. I was deeply involved in every aspect of back-issue sales: from authoring stories about little-know collecting niches (ashcans) to being an Overstreet advisor for 25 years.

And boy, am I glad that I don't depend on it for a living anymore.

I know all the guys whose names are mentioned in this thread (nice of Sharon and Steve to mention me) - some better than others. A few just by reputation. But there's one thing they all have in common, they are part of a very small and shrinking brotherhood.

Simply put it is very, very difficult making a living selling comic books and the alarming number of dealers who have been dropping out in recent years underscores how hard it is to make enough money to support yourself and a family.

Remember, full-time comic book dealers are competing not only with other dealers for your business - they are competing with part-time guys like me and every collector who's selling off some or all of their collection.

So please look at the full-time guys on the list with just a bit more understanding and some compassion. Grading and resto mistakes will be made and they will never get everything right, but they will be out there scouring for books for your collections, and they will be set up at your favorite convention, and they'll have a smile on their face and be happy to see you (okay maybe not Richie...).

Selling comics is a worthy profession and dealers deserve your respect.