• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Can't recall if you ever had a MPFW?
I have never desired to own one, now that I think about it...plenty of opps, just always passed ...
goofy cover. Only 5 or 10 known to exist I think? Marvel 1 is the first newsstand app of Subby anyways.
I think 9 or 10 have been documented so far (in a thread here on the boards)...

just yes, just no desire to own (kind of like red raven, for me)

I know a fair amount of folks who love RR1

Can't recall if you ever had a MPFW?
I have never desired to own one, now that I think about it...plenty of opps, just always passed ...
goofy cover. Only 5 or 10 known to exist I think? Marvel 1 is the first newsstand app of Subby anyways.
I think 9 or 10 have been documented so far (in a thread here on the boards)...

just yes, just no desire to own (kind of like red raven, for me)

I know a fair amount of folks who love RR1
no doubt...I'm just not one of them (thumbs u

GAtor...

What is the one thing you regret selling and not keeping for yourself? (If such an item exists)

GAtor...

What is the one thing you regret selling and not keeping for yourself? (If such an item exists)

there are always periods of regret...most everything I have sold , at one point or another I have managed to replace...so while there was regret in between, there really isn't any book I have truly regretted to the point I have not been able to reacquire....

the only book that I would regret not having or not being able to replace would be my first comic...silver surfer #1...that, for a period of time, I thought was lost, but we found it about 10 years ago...only comic I have from my childhood and ultimately, probably the only comic I would , today, regret not having

GAtor,

How many Action 1s and Tec 27's have you owned?

good question...

I believe I have owned 12 action 1's and 17 detective 27's at this point...but I might be one off , exercised my brain a bit too much lol

What's the highest grade you owned of each?

action 1...blue...cgc6.5, restored....8.0 mod p

tec 27...blue...cgc 4.0, restored...9.2 ext p

That's so cool.

Alright G.A.tor, I have asked this elsewhere but I would love to have your opinion. Do you think in the current market, Tec 38 trails in value all the Pre-Robin Batman covers with maybe the exception of 36 and 37?

GAtor,

How many Action 1s and Tec 27's have you owned?

good question...

I believe I have owned 12 action 1's and 17 detective 27's at this point...but I might be one off , exercised my brain a bit too much lol

What's the highest grade you owned of each?

action 1...blue...cgc6.5, restored....8.0 mod p

tec 27...blue...cgc 4.0, restored...9.2 ext p

That's so cool.

+1

Alright G.A.tor, I have asked this elsewhere but I would love to have your opinion. Do you think in the current market, Tec 38 trails in value all the Pre-Robin Batman covers with maybe the exception of 36 and 37?

Pretty much sums it up, with 28 as non bat cover exception. 38 trails 28 but ahead, in value to 30,32,34,36,37

Wise is also selling a copy of Action Comics No. 1, which is the debut of Superman and is considered the birth of the comic book super hero. A well-preserved copy of the 1938 comic sold for a record $2.1 million in 2011. Zurzolo said there are fewer than 100 copies of the issue in existence.

Misquote or does he really believe it? Agree or disagree?

Which one will go highest tonight? A1 or T27 ... (shrug)

the A1 should kill a 3 sided trimmed tec27... if both were equal grades,the A1 would still win (imo)

Considered how the T27 in question actually fills out the inner well in a "normal" way, it must be micro-micro trim.

its not noted as "cover" trimmed, but "edges"...that typically means interior book trimmed too...

The C-cnect Action 1 (mod 7.0) was clearly the better book relative to the triple trimmed tec27 (mod 8.0).

Yet they roughly hammered out at 140K and 170K, with "only" a 30K margin. What does that indicate to you as regards the reciprocal strength of the big two?

Is action still a hair above when this sale is considered?

Wise is also selling a copy of Action Comics No. 1, which is the debut of Superman and is considered the birth of the comic book super hero. A well-preserved copy of the 1938 comic sold for a record $2.1 million in 2011. Zurzolo said there are fewer than 100 copies of the issue in existence.

the A1 should kill a 3 sided trimmed tec27... if both were equal grades,the A1 would still win (imo)

Considered how the T27 in question actually fills out the inner well in a "normal" way, it must be micro-micro trim.

its not noted as "cover" trimmed, but "edges"...that typically means interior book trimmed too...

The C-cnect Action 1 (mod 7.0) was clearly the better book relative to the triple trimmed tec27 (mod 8.0).

Yet they roughly hammered out at 140K and 170K, with "only" a 30K margin. What does that indicate to you as regards the reciprocal strength of the big two?

The action closed about 50k higher than anticipated and the Tec about 40k higher. Both books are strong but action 1 is still king.

Pretty much sums it up, with 28 as non bat cover exception. 38 trails 28 but ahead, in value to 30,32,34,36,37

Thanks G.A.tor I appreciate it (thumbs u

Thanks G.A.tor I appreciate it (thumbs u

(Thumbs u

The action closed about 50k higher than anticipated and the Tec about 40k higher. Both books are strong but action 1 is still king.

If one observes the price diff (between trimmed/untrimmed) in any "generic" sense, it is save to say that the Tec27 in question if UN-trimmed, would not only have surpassed the action1. It would probably have killed it pricewise.

Edited by Marvel Zombie

If one observes the price diff (between trimmed/untrimmed) in any "generic" sense, it is save to say that the Tec27 in question if UN-trimmed, would not only have surpassed the action1. It would probably have killed it pricewise.

I would disagree. While obviously the trimming turns off some bidders, in this case it didn't turn off the two that mattered.

Action 1 has outperformed Tec 27 in almost every instance. Nothing has happened to change that (IMO)

I say this as someone that has bought and sold dozens of action 1s and Tec 27 over last few years. While neither is tough to sell, action 1 is easier, in more demand, sells faster and that is the market dictating

I would disagree. While obviously the trimming turns off some bidders, in this case it didn't turn off the two that mattered.

Action 1 has outperformed Tec 27 in almost every instance. Nothing has happened to change that (IMO)

I say this as someone that has bought and sold dozens of action 1s and Tec 27 over last few years. While neither is tough to sell, action 1 is easier, in more demand, sells faster and that is the market dictating

I respectfully hear where youre comming from. But: doesnt trimmed vs. un-trimmed usually detract 50% from blue FMV? Thats also the market dictating.

I respectfully hear where youre comming from. But: doesnt trimmed vs. un-trimmed usually detract 50% from blue FMV? Thats also the market dictating.

now trimmed vs universal, then likely at least a 50% drop and many times much more of a drop...I concur with you there (thumbs u

but with restored, there is no set % that I am aware of...I have seen trimmed restored books sell for more than untrimmed restored in a rare occasion (such as this)... there are too many factors with restored copies to establish with any certainty, a %, etc......

now trimmed vs universal, then likely at least a 50% drop and many times much more of a drop...I concur with you there (thumbs u

but with restored, there is no set % that I am aware of...I have seen trimmed restored books sell for more than untrimmed restored in a rare occasion (such as this)... there are too many factors with restored copies to establish with any certainty, a %, etc......

Thanks for your answer Rick.

And remember: when you answer this post you are 1 post away from 50K of entries. WAY TO GO ...

Rick, the Action 1 CC 7.0 mod presents well, but the interior enlightened (depending how much was done) is somewhat a big factor? Regardless, those are strong prices for the BIG two.

Rick, the Action 1 CC 7.0 mod presents well, but the interior enlightened (depending how much was done) is somewhat a big factor? Regardless, those are strong prices for the BIG two.

didn't bother me...interior lightening is just chemically cleaning the pages....it will still outlast us all (thumbs u

didn't bother me...interior lightening is just chemically cleaning the pages....it will still outlast us all (thumbs u

Thanks. The A1 7.0 EP with married pages sold a few years back for 120K and your 8.0 MP for 140K, so this CC copy price for 172K is stronger than most have anticipated and is justified by the current trend.

Edited by showcase22gr1959